2024/25 Kevin Thelwell

Just thinking of our last managerial hire. Dyche vs Bielsa. Two completely diametrically opposite managers :lol: That's in addition to the fact that they only started their manager search from scratch after sacking Frank. Genuinely don't understand how two people can amass so many millions of pounds between them and yet be such complete clowns

Our issue is, we have a DOF trying to do the right things, and a manager with a very different view. Sometimes disagreement is good, but longer term there has to be doubts Dyche is going to willingly engage with the sort of strategy the club are looking for.

I hope with a new owner (ideally some combination of Textor/TFG) we can find a European coach who will have that buy in.

Oh basically we should let Thelwell independently select the next manager after Dyche.

As for Dyche, he's only ever been a 'this season' view manager, short term in the extreme, even at Burnley there was no long term strategy, just looking at getting a 11 who could scrap and keep them up every season - rinse, repeat.

Sooner he's gone the better we'll be.

If Dyche ditched Doucoure as a 10 and has Ndayie and Lindstrom competing for that position I'm happy.

Lindstrom definitely isn't a winger.
Got bad news for you. Bobble said in his podcast that Ndiaye has been signed as a CAM (and now Dyche is convinced he is a winger) but Lindstrom HAS been signed as a winger.

Err we have now started paying for Beto so that’s irrelevant.

And where did it ever say we paid nothing up front for Chermiti?

Its irrelevant now, correct. It certainly wasnt last summer--hence having no money available for a DCL replacement

Lets be honest, most of us didnt expect DCL to get through last season.

Zats the only person I've seen who repeatedly quotes that about Chermiti.

Beto being a delayed payment kicked the can down the road last year, this year we felt the impact of doing so (and it cost us getting Gnoto in reality - not that I'm arsed about that but Zat really wanted him).

Deals we do which are short term excellent in terms of payment structure always have longer term consequences - not sure why certain people think not paying anything year one means the next season you start able to ignore having bought the player.

In other words, when looking at our deals this year, Beto should be added to the list as if he was a big up front payment player (like Leeds wanted for Gnoto) as that's what we had to do.

I've not seen a soul state this:

"not sure why certain people think not paying anything year one means the next season you start able to ignore having bought the player".

I think everyone knows (or most do) that its challenging to sign any teams centre forward on zero cash.

In hindsight Im sure we'd have approached last summer differently. Perhaps this Broja deal shows what was needed in last years situation, he may be electric or could be another Beto.

Shouldnt write Beto off I suppose.

As for Chermiti I thought it was common knowledge there was zero down for both him and Beto. Many other posters assumed the same after he signed.

Its part of the reason - we got in the financial mess in the first place everyone working in a silo - there is no point to another Danjuma.

Though Lindsrtom concerns me a bit so far.

Why?

That’s why the DoF should recruit the manager and the manager should report into him. None of this veto rubbish. We seemingly have a DoF who wants to play one way, a manager who wants to play another

I think Thelwell will be hiring the next manager at the end of this season.

Not sure why such an obsession with right back, when we have only one recognised left back.

Whether we like it or not, Coleman will be first choice until he stops breathing and likewise Young as backup. Patterson will return and we have a promising youngster in Dixon. That is four players who can play there, two of them who could improve - so why block their paths further by adding a fifth option.

Behind Myko we only have Young out of position as a far from satisfactory backup.

The positive is that Dixon has a big challenge with Dyche and the others.

If he passes this test the RB position is solved long term.

Oh basically we should let Thelwell independently select the next manager after Dyche.

As for Dyche, he's only ever been a 'this season' view manager, short term in the extreme, even at Burnley there was no long term strategy, just looking at getting a 11 who could scrap and keep them up every season - rinse, repeat.

Sooner he's gone the better we'll be.

9months to go.

Got bad news for you. Bobble said in his podcast that Ndiaye has been signed as a CAM (and now Dyche is convinced he is a winger) but Lindstrom HAS been signed as a winger.

I dont think its necessarily a bad thing for Ndiaye to gain experience on the left and Lindstrom on the right if we are using a different player than DCL up top.

Its irrelevant now, correct. It certainly wasnt last summer--hence having no money available for a DCL replacement

Lets be honest, most of us didnt expect DCL to get through last season.

I've not seen a soul state this:

"not sure why certain people think not paying anything year one means the next season you start able to ignore having bought the player".

I think everyone knows (or most do) that its challenging to sign any teams centre forward on zero cash.

In hindsight Im sure we'd have approached last summer differently. Perhaps this Broja deal shows what was needed in last years situation, he may be electric or could be another Beto.

Shouldnt write Beto off I suppose.

As for Chermiti I thought it was common knowledge there was zero down for both him and Beto. Many other posters assumed the same after he signed.

Why?

I think Thelwell will be hiring the next manager at the end of this season.

The positive is that Dixon has a big challenge with Dyche and the others.

If he passes this test the RB position is solved long term.

9months to go.

I dont think its necessarily a bad thing for Ndiaye to gain experience on the left and Lindstrom on the right if we are using a different player than DCL up top.
Yeah, but the issue with having wide players who always move inside is that you need overlapping full-backs to provide width.

As we don't do that, we need actual wide players.

Yeah, but the issue with having wide players who always move inside is that you need overlapping full-backs to provide width.

As we don't do that, we need actual wide players.

Fair point. I think both Ndiaye and Lindstrom were brought in by Thelwell with an eye on the future.

Obviously, next summer Mykolenko will have 1 year on his deal & Coleman & young will be out the door.

I hope what we are seeing are 'building blocks' with Thelwell. On a wider note, i believe there are 12 players out of contract next summer. That doesnt include those like Crelin and Holgate who we have loaned out until their contracts expire.

I looked at last and this seasons windows where we strengthen the squad with an eye on 2025 summer with the stadium ready.

Fair point. I think both Ndiaye and Lindstrom were brought in by Thelwell with an eye on the future.

Obviously, next summer Mykolenko will have 1 year on his deal & Coleman & young will be out the door.

I hope what we are seeing are 'building blocks' with Thelwell. On a wider note, i believe there are 12 players out of contract next summer. That doesnt include those like Crelin and Holgate who we have loaned out until their contracts expire.

I looked at last and this seasons windows where we strengthen the squad with an eye on 2025 summer with the stadium ready.
I would like to think so too. The issue is though that Thelwell's contract expires at the end of this season as does Dyche's. So, because of the rudderless ownership, there isn't much future planning we can do.

Quite confused at the O’Brien scenario. If the club still had confidence in Keane surely that money should have been used on a winger. All reeks of disconnect between DoF and Manager

Quite confused at the O’Brien scenario. If the club still had confidence in Keane surely that money should have been used on a winger. All reeks of disconnect between DoF and Manager
He’s Branthwaite replacement when he goes next season.
Don’t think it’s a bad move personally to have someone familiar with the club ready to step up.
Arguably not a priority when Branthwaite is still here but I’d rather that, than buy a winger for the sake of it, if whoever was preferred couldn’t be got.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back