Last big game we won?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saint Domingo

Player Valuation: £80m
When was it? I'm struggling to remember.

My definition of a big game:

Any semi final or final (winning the home leg but losing overall tie doesn't count)
Any game away at top 6
Any game v that lot
Any game with an outcome on the line (e.g win to get top 4)

By my own reckoning you've got to go back to 2010 and the Derby win v a limp Liverpool under Hodgson (although they were so tragic it hardly felt big). People will say Arsenal in 13/14 but bottling the home game v Palace diminishes that for me. Other notable ones are the cup games v Liverpool and United in 09. Then maybe United and Newcastle in 05. Nearly all at home though.

The list to choose from is ridiculously small. We just don't win them, any of them, we don't even fluke any of them ever. Perhaps the United semi but they battered us with their kids and we clung on for pens. Big moments in Europe we've chucked away despite being the better side v Fiorentina and Kiev.

What is the last game you consider to be big that we've won? What is your explanation for why we win so few? Why do 'lesser' clubs seem to have more of these good days than we do?

Any semi final or final (winning the home leg but losing overall tie doesn't count)
Any game away at top 6
Any game v that lot
Any game with an outcome on the line (e.g win to get top 4)

By my own reckoning you've got to go back to 2010 and the Derby win v a limp Liverpool under Hodgson (although they were so tragic it hardly felt big). People will say Arsenal in 13/14 but bottling the home game v Palace diminishes that for me. Other notable ones are the cup games v Liverpool and United in 09. Then maybe United and Newcastle in 05. Nearly all at home though.

The list to choose from is ridiculously small. We just don't win them, any of them, we don't even fluke any of them ever. Perhaps the United semi but they battered us with their kids and we clung on for pens. Big moments in Europe we've chucked away despite being the better side v Fiorentina and Kiev.

What is the last game you consider to be big that we've won? What is your explanation for why we win so few? Why do 'lesser' clubs seem to have more of these good days than we do?
Joe Royle was a master of the big games, not just with us but he even got Oldham to cup finals and semis in the early 90s.
No Everton manager has come near to him since. We haven't won a "massive" one since 2009 and even then we couldn't finish the job in the final despite leading.

Is this so no-one can suggest EFC 1-0 Man City in the League Cup semi 1st leg in Jan 2016? That was a 'big game'. And yeah, we lost the 2nd leg and tie overall.

Man Utd 0-0 Everton, won 4-2 on pens, FA Cup Semi, April 2009

Any game away at top 6

Man Utd 0-1 Everton - Dec 2013
Chelsea 1-1 Everton, EFC won 4-3 on pens, FA Cup 4th round replay - Feb 2011
Spurs 0-1 Everton - Nov 2008
Man City 1-2 Everton, Dec 2010
Man City 0-2 Everton, Mar 2010
Man City 0-1 Everton, Dec 2008
Man City 0-2 Everton, Feb 2008

Any game v that lot

We may not have beaten LFC since 2010, but we finished above them in the league 2 seasons running as recently as 2012 and 2013.

Is this so no-one can suggest EFC 1-0 Man City in the League Cup semi 1st leg in Jan 2016? That was a 'big game'. And yeah, we lost the 2nd leg and tie overall.

Man Utd 0-0 Everton, won 4-2 on pens, FA Cup Semi, April 2009

Man Utd 0-1 Everton - Dec 2013
Chelsea 1-1 Everton, EFC won 4-3 on pens, FA Cup 4th round replay - Feb 2011
Spurs 0-1 Everton - Nov 2008
Man City 1-2 Everton, Dec 2010
Man City 0-2 Everton, Mar 2010
Man City 0-1 Everton, Dec 2008
Man City 0-2 Everton, Feb 2008

We may not have beaten LFC since 2010, but we finished above them in the league 2 seasons running as recently as 2012 and 2013.

And?

Status
Not open for further replies.