Leaking Goals

Status
Not open for further replies.
And the players have lost it in Moyes and happen Moyes has lost it in the players.

Does not alter that Yobo and Distin have been crap. Distin at his age and level of competency was 5 mill poorly spent. A very bad transfer deal.

This.

I bet if you watched our conceded goals and you took it apart peice by peice Distin would be at fault for a majority of them. Would rather Neill or Heitinga there any day of the week over Distin (thus far to be fair)

Hietingers a central defender isn´t he?Distan?I dont rate him but it´s not all down to the defence .Our midfield is providing no protection.They can´t even keep the Ball FFS!Neville and Jags are massive players for us.But if we could manage to string a few passes together and get past the halfway line may take some pressure off the defenders.Lets hope Peanuts and billy do that sunday.

Hietingers a central defender isn´t he?Distan?I dont rate him but it´s not all down to the defence .Our midfield is providing no protection.They can´t even keep the Ball FFS!Neville and Jags are massive players for us.But if we could manage to string a few passes together and get past the halfway line may take some pressure off the defenders.Lets hope Peanuts and billy do that sunday.

This.

Distin has been rock solid IMO...minus the past few games. But he and Yobocop arent clicking - the concentration at times is very poor and they both like to hoof and panic.

But I've always said Rodwell, while an elegant and composed footballer, doesnt offer insurance to the back 4. He's not a fighter or last ditch tackler able to close people down. Teams waltz straight through the middle of the park (or hit the right flank).

Neville is a big miss. Heitinga could plug the gap, but he and Rodwell in the same midfield is like having Neville and Rodwell - both have nose bleeds past the half way line. Its unbalanced.

Steven Pienaar in the middle then? Could be worth a go. Moyes tried it and whilst Pienaar wasn't world beating by any means our play improved dramatically with a more creative option in the middle.

It wouldn't surprise me if Moyes tried it during spells of the game against Liverpool on Sunday, especially with Bilyaletdinov back.

Rodwell, Heitinga, Cahill and Fellaini have all played in there and we've yet to find the right balance. It didn't even look great when Phil Neville was in there.

This.

Distin has been rock solid IMO...minus the past few games. But he and Yobocop arent clicking - the concentration at times is very poor and they both like to hoof and panic.

But I've always said Rodwell, while an elegant and composed footballer, doesnt offer insurance to the back 4. He's not a fighter or last ditch tackler able to close people down. Teams waltz straight through the middle of the park (or hit the right flank).

Neville is a big miss. Heitinga could plug the gap, but he and Rodwell in the same midfield is like having Neville and Rodwell - both have nose bleeds past the half way line. Its unbalanced.

i agree Distin has been solid, and i really don't think the fault lies with our centre backs. they're being called into action way more than they need to be.

I'll ask again: when in Distin's career has he been part of a defence that didn't leak goals? Citeh? Pompey? I can't say he's bad, because he's not, but he's not as good as some of you think he is. He's mediocre, and frankly I'd take Joey over him any day even on present form.

Distin as a backup - ok. Distin as the only ever-present in our back 4 - hah!

Portsmouth had the 4th best defence in the League during the 07/08 season, keeping 16 clean sheets in 38 games. Sylvain Distin and Sol Campbell where there first choice centre backs.

It well documented that Distin and Dunne where the main reason Manchester City avoided relegation on a number of occasions.

Oh, and I'd put money on Distin keeping Yobo out of the team once Jagielka is back. I have no doubts that he'll prove to be a good signing here.

It's not any ONE factor.

It's a whole host of factors (all of which have been touched on in this thread) that have combined to give us a horrible run right now.

I will say though that this squad is also the type of squad that CAN go on an extended unbeaten run. They've just got to get things kickstarted.

No player in his thirties should be worth 5-6 million, I'd agree with that. But in a week it's not easy to sign players, and Distin at 5 million was one of better and cheaper options out there.

They need to quit the mistakes for a kick off. Gain some composure and think about how much they are on, and how much the fans are on. That is the bare minimum we should be expecting.

The team put out against Hull was by far good enough to win. You eradicate the schoolboy errors, and then look forward to getting back the players to allow us to compete again.

At the moment we are not even competing, Jags and Arteta are not going to allow us to compete if players are making mistakes all over the pitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back