Left Back.

Should Baines go Back in the line up instead of keeping Galloway?

• Yes.

Votes: 178 77.7%
  • No.

Votes: 42 18.3%
  • Cheese on Toast.

Votes: 9 3.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Plot twist - Galloway plays the Lahm role instead

First post so please be gentle; been following this forum for years and excellent posts, views, game previews and reviews.

I feel that Galloways excellent form this season has given Roberto options in that he can seriously think about playing Baines in the "Lahm role". Baines has the natural speed, speed of thought and the intelligence to mature into this role, and he can spot a pass [think back to the slide rule pass he made when maurauding forward in that one game; unfortunately cannot remember which one]...He is a senior member of the squad and with time could become the player I had always hoped Gibbo would become...

Just my thoughts...tks

Devil's advocate: who sits if Baines moves forward? You know its not going to be Barry or McCarthy. You know Cleverly is going right back into the side when he's healthy. Lukaku is the striker. Literally leaves 3 spots for Baines to play in and its not going to be on the right side, leaving 2.

I honestly can't decide Jr. mate.

Galloway has done amazing. I really think he makes us more solid.

But he doesn't offer even nearly as much going forward as Baines.

If pushed to a decision, I'd keep Galloway.

This, I think even though we have conceded a few goals here and there recently, having a centre back at full back has made us harder to break down (barring mistakes & corners)

Got to bring Baines back in though as he is Leighton Baines

Wingers always have games where they're less effective, that's why you need a few of them. We're in a good position with the amount we have got along with the quality of them. Del is a match winner on his day, I still can't believe we signed him for so cheap!

I'd love to see Baines at LM ahead of Galloway or at CM because Baines will track back and defend. It also prevents us from ever starting Naismith.

About 3 weeks ago I spent an hour in the pub defending the decision to play Galloway at left back ahead of Oviedo. About half a dozen people were calling it madness, pointing out all sorts of mistakes that he'd made in his games last season and early this. Now people are telling me he should be starting ahead of our best player of the last decade. It truly is a funny old game.

Baines. Absolutely no question. A fully fit Baines as our left back over-lapping on the left is a delight.

Will be interesting to see how Galloway responds if Baines is actually selected straight back in the side. Hopefully he keeps his feet on the ground and continues to work hard and doesn't develop an ego with calls that he should be a starter.

Galloway could be the mint sauce if Baines played the Lahm role.....

Seriously how could any left back in the league keep Baines out of the team?

Our best 11

Baines
Baines, Baines, Baines, Baines,
Baines, Baines,
Baines, Baines, Baines,
Baines

Subs: Baines, Baines, Baines, Baines, Baines.

Can't see Martinez moving Baines forwards tbh or he'd have tried it by now. Attacking-wise he'd be sound at it but I think he might struggle for a while defensively since he's going from primarily defending down his left side to having to be wary 360.

Think Carsley or someone mentioned on the Echo that it's difficult going from full-back to midfield. Lahm managed it but he's just a different class of footballer to anything we've got.

We would have to play Baines, hes a better LB, however Galloway has been amazing. he is only young, its boss to think how good he can be. i think he is miles ahead of Garbutt though. cant see Garbutt getting much game time next year aswell.

I think theres also the burnout factor. Rather than easing him in, Galloway has been playing full games for us. As someone else mentioned it would likely be the case that Baines comes in for him and then Galloway has a rest and some coaching to improve on any weaknesses which have been exposed during this run of games.

What is very interesting is that we now have:

LB-- Baines/Garbutt/Galloway
LCB -- Jagielka/Mori/Galloway

Thats amazing competition for places already and i think what we REALLY need is for Garbutt to step up another level or two and push Baines at left back. If Garbutt can do that next season then we truly look spoilt for choice.

I think it says alot about Galloway that we would all be confident about him starting any game at left back now or in the future.

Interesting also to see whose selected out of him and Mori going forward as the long term Jagielka replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back