Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get rid. He doesn't want to be here otherwise he would have signed a contract when he was injured.

15m and I'd drive him myself, its either that or let him go on a free? how longs left on the contract?

I'd like to see him play LM/LW tomorrow, Oviedo has been fine defensively I think and we will need pace at the back to watch the counter!

18months left, has he actually been offered a contract though? 15mil sell but 12 as bid before seems low...13mil its basically a swap for mccarthy...

I'd sell him. Before Oviedo showed what he can do I would have wanted around 16m+ but now I would accept 13m. Either way we should sell while he still has value.

Oviedo is a more then capable replacement who still has room for improvement as well. At best if we kept him I think he will be top class for 2 more years but if we sell him we could get one or two players in who could be important for 5+ years if we get the right players.

I'd sell him. Before Oviedo showed what he can do I would have wanted around 16m+ but now I would accept 13m. Either way we should sell while he still has value.

Oviedo is a more then capable replacement who still has room for improvement as well. At best if we kept him I think he will be top class for 2 more years but if we sell him we could get one or two players in who could be important for 5+ years if we get the right players.

For the sake of argument, let's say Moist came in with a bid of 9 mil for Oviedo, what say you?

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/dec/28/leighton-baines-everton-manchester-united

Andy Hunter article in the Guardian.....

How much would we take for him -- 29 years old, top class but can we use Oviedo instead and the cash goes on another position....

Or we have 2 quality left backs.....?

I'd sell for 15mil due to his age....maybe even a little bit lower if the contracts not being signed....it's a tricky one.

I don't think it's that hard tbh. We have 2 good left backs and only need 1. One is old and is worth quite a bit, the other is young and is not. The older one is better, but the young one is not far behind and the gap between them is only going to get closer.

It makes sense to sell Baines. With the money we then buy a midfielder and a replacement for Distin who can also cover left back (someone like Martins Indi?)

I'm still very hesitant to adopt a 'get rid' attitude towards Baines. I would want a very good offer before it was considered, let's not forget how good he is and important he has been for us.

In saying that, I agree that I wouldn't have a full implosion if he left like I would have done in the summer.

Alright, so the FIFA FIFPRO World XI for 2013 is to be announced in about 24 hours' time.
They're choosing an entirre team based on the votes of 50.000 football players and professionals.
Previous winners LB/RB: Dani Alves & Marcelo, Dani Alves & Sergio Ramos, Maicon (+ 3 centre backs).

LB's RB's shortlisted for 2013:
* Pablo Zabaleta
* Dani Alves
* David Alaba
* Leighton Baines
* Jordi Alba
* Marcelo
* Philipp Lahm
* Branislav Ivanovic
* Ashley Cole

So, blues, what do you reckon are his chances? Feel like ranking the above list from best to worst, maybe? Have at it.

Unfortunately I think the higher profile David Alaba will be in at left back, and Zabaleta at rb.

baines is so boss. wish we werent in a position were we're thinkin 'oh lets sell him for 15mil so we can buy a striker' ... if only we could just splash a bit of cash without having to sell

rm is doing a brilliant job of papering over the cracks of that shambles of a board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back