Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought Baines looked much more his old self last night...more self assured and determined. Going forward he had more of the ball than in recent times and it will do him good. This confidence/lack of confidence thing seems contagious sometimes with our lot...him and Jags being the weak spots. Hopefully both of them gained by their good shows last night.

He did look better.

I feel he has never grabbed his chance for Englnad, we now players around him and the formation has not helped him, but he has looked a Rabbit in the headlights at times.

What was clear last night was tgat Baines was under instructions to nip in and try and steal the ball ahead of his opponent. It worked evevry time bar one -- when he got turned in his own half and the attack ended up with a close call -- although ultimately it was Jones who, after Baines's mistake, made a howler by giving the ball away.

...thought he was tremendous last night. He's truly got a magic wand of a left foot, picking out the most subtle of passes when closed down and in the tightest of places. Only truly top players have that ability. Interesting comparing his ability to Stones in the top third of the pitch. Stones did well, but we know he's a CB. Baines is amongst the very best.

...thought he was tremendous last night. He's truly got a magic wand of a left foot, picking out the most subtle of passes when closed down and in the tightest of places. Only truly top players have that ability. Interesting comparing his ability to Stones in the top third of the pitch. Stones did well, but we know he's a CB. Baines is amongst the very best.

Im starting to wonder if it is only us Blues that think this.

I fully expect Shaw to be ushered into the England team within the next six months. Sad but will probably happen.

What was clear last night was tgat Baines was under instructions to nip in and try and steal the ball ahead of his opponent. It worked evevry time bar one -- when he got turned in his own half and the attack ended up with a close call -- although ultimately it was Jones who, after Baines's mistake, made a howler by giving the ball away.
I went to the game last night (living in Basel now) in the Swiss end - and Baines was total class - I shouted "come on Bainesy lad" every time he got near us. looked so confident - and I thought he was probably the reason Shaqiri moved inside more in the second half. Stones looked a little slow at times - and nervous. But did most things right.

you certainly couldn't drop Baines after that performance and that was the hardest game of the group, they could win every game now and that could establish his position.

....I reckon the blokes who play with him at international level think that, in fact I reckon the lads who play against him think that way also. Louis Suarez said he was one of his favourites and I don't think he was talking about food.

“Baines is a player I like a lot. His focus is more defensive than attacking but he has got the best left foot in the Premier League. He’s spectacular. He has a lot of quality, he strikes the ball very well and, with good players around him, England can benefit from that. We have to be very careful.”

As much as he is a prize idiot there is no disputing his quality - a compliment off him counts for a lot.

Baines played well last night I thought, but the clamour to start Utd 30million left back will begin and gather pace as soon as Shaw is fit.

I would very much doubt that Baines will survive any sort of off game - he'd be displaced immediately.

Further, I doubt however well he does whether he will be in the first 11 for the first game of the Euros should we get there. Jags the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back