Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never gets the credit he deserves in an England shirt. He is probably the only player England have who is world class in their position and yet we all know he will be replaced by Shaw when he gets fit

Shaw won't get be first choice this year barring injury. Lad has been told about his fitness by three different manages and it isn't up to prem level.

Apparently been out getting pissed a lot too since he's moved to Manchester.

Feel like Luke Shaw could be one of 'those' players who wastes his talent because the money came too early.

Never gets the credit he deserves in an England shirt. He is probably the only player England have who is world class in their position and yet we all know he will be replaced by Shaw when he gets fit

Untill he plays in the Elite competitions, then we cant even say he is World Class.

I thought Baines looked much more his old self last night...more self assured and determined. Going forward he had more of the ball than in recent times and it will do him good. This confidence/lack of confidence thing seems contagious sometimes with our lot...him and Jags being the weak spots. Hopefully both of them gained by their good shows last night.

I think Jagielka, Baines,Stones ,Coleman , Mcgeavy and McCarthy have all benefited from the Euro games, and Naismith had a good hard work out as well. Could turn out to be a good thing for Everton going forward . Jones had played well, but when Jags came on, he didn't put a foot wrong. Stones is very close to getting a start at centre half for Everton, though, and I still think it will be at the expense, initially, of Jagielka.

Last edited:

I think Jagielka, Baines,Stones ,Coleman , Mcgeavy and McCarthy have all benefited from the Euro games, and Naismith had a good hartd work ou as well. Could turn out to be a good thing for Everton going forward . Jones had played well, but when Jags came on, he didn't put a foot wrong. Stones is very close to getting a start at centre half for Everton, though, and I still think it will be at the expense, initially, of Jagielka.

Whatever happens, whether they're starters or not, I'm fairly confident the trio of Baines Jagielka and Stones will be in the EURO squad barring injuries.

Whatever happens, whether they're starters or not, I'm fairly confident the trio of Baines Jagielka and Stones will be in the EURO squad barring injuries.

Not so sure about Jags tbh. That's nothing to do with his first 3 games this season, just Roy is going down the younger player route. What will Jags be by the euro's? 34?

Rightly or wrongly he'll favour Cahill, Smalling, Jones, Chambers and Stones before Jags. Having the easiest qualifying group in the world will also lessen the need for expierianced players in the lead up to the Tournament.

Jags is on borrowed time for England. And also the reason Barry hasn't got a sniff of getting back in (even tho he's the best DM available for England currently.

Not so sure about Jags tbh. That's nothing to do with his first 3 games this season, just Roy is going down the younger player route. What will Jags be by the euro's? 34?

Rightly or wrongly he'll favour Cahill, Smalling, Jones, Chambers and Stones before Jags. Having the easiest qualifying group in the world will also lessen the need for expierianced players in the lead up to the Tournament.

Jags is on borrowed time for England. And also the reason Barry hasn't got a sniff of getting back in (even tho he's the best DM available for England currently.
Although that is sad for Jags/Barry who clearly want to play for England, think it is the right approach tbh. Wish we'd done the same with a lot of the "golden generation".

As for Baines whole England career...."wrong place wrong time"

So unfortunate that Ashley Cole was around and being a 3 yr age gap left Baines with not much of a career. Now there's also another very good young LB who has come at a time when England fans are obsessed with youth....

The biggest joke with the whole Baines thing tho is he should of been Coles backup for the past 6/7 yrs instead of tosh like wayne bridge, Paul kochelski (spelling) and other poor LB's that have had the shirt!

Shaw won't get be first choice this year barring injury. Lad has been told about his fitness by three different manages and it isn't up to prem level.

Apparently been out getting pissed a lot too since he's moved to Manchester.

Feel like Luke Shaw could be one of 'those' players who wastes his talent because the money came too early.

Quite possibly, is it true he's on £100k+ a week?

Absolutely bizarre if true, even by modern football's standards.

Although that is sad for Jags/Barry who clearly want to play for England, think it is the right approach tbh. Wish we'd done the same with a lot of the "golden generation".

Yeah I probably agree too mate. Makes you wonder tho about Gerrard. Had he not retired I BET Roy would of still been using him even tho he has no chance of making the euros.

pmsl at this from Sky

Leighton Baines
Similar to Stones, Baines lacks the pace to be a convincing threat on the counter-attack, but he still supported the front line when the opportunity arose. It's difficult to shake the feeling that he's facing a losing battle to hold on to his place when Luke Shaw finally gets going at Old Trafford.

Deffo written by a Kopite, haha. They put this about Horrenderson:

It's strange to think that his possible absence was seen as a mini-crisis before only his third competitive start.

pmsl at this from Sky

Leighton Baines
Similar to Stones, Baines lacks the pace to be a convincing threat on the counter-attack, but he still supported the front line when the opportunity arose. It's difficult to shake the feeling that he's facing a losing battle to hold on to his place when Luke Shaw finally gets going at Old Trafford.

Deffo written by a Kopite, haha. They put this about Horrenderson:

It's strange to think that his possible absence was seen as a mini-crisis before only his third competitive start.

Luke Shaw will struggle to get into the United side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back