Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ray Wilson.
wilson was a great defender but not an attacking creative full back like baines, and colemans as good as anything, think we have the best 2 full backs ever for everton, but its a different game now, hard to compere fullbacks to years ago as they were their just to defend.

Disagree with Graham Stuart about MOTM. He gives it to Barry.

Baines was hands down the best player, imo.

FWIW my scores:

Howard - 6 (maybe could have caught a few he elected to punch)
Coleman - 7 (not a rip roaring performance but solid and gave us balance...and a goal)
Baines - 9 (what can you say? made the first half his and built the platform for victory)
Jagielka - 7 (didn't have that much defending to do due to solid defending ahead of him, but 7 by virtue of the goal)
Alcarez - 6 (see above but minus the goal contribution)
Barry - 6 (did what he had to do shackling the likes of Cleverly)
McCarthy 8 (not only snuffed out danger but got a few moves going)
Osman - 5 (despite - apparently - covering more ground than anyone other than Barry, his only moment of worth was the quick free kick)
Naismith - 6 (did a lot of running about)
Barkley - 8 (not by any means in top gear, but still the classiest player on the pitch and inspired the win)
Lukaku - 7 (looked much happier on the ball today and the goal shows where he has to be played - ie, not getting chalk on his boots)

Best footballing brain in our team, and his passing has really gone up a gear of late. He's always looking for an incisive forward pass.

I was quite critical of him last year, he wasnt a patch on what he usual was, but this season hes stepped it back up a few levels and hes been brilliant.

Easily the best Left back in the league anyone that says otherwise needs there head testing

I remember he was getting some pretty bad stick as recently as the United away match thread.

A game in which he played pretty well.

Today he was absolutely flawless. His best days certainly aren't behind him yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back