Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody who thinks Kenwright will let an offer of around £20m for Baines slip away is on grade A crack.

He'll probably drive the kid to Old Trafford himself.

mate ive said from april 2o11 ,when city were meant to be sniffing ,the boy is happy ,he still is ,but thats means jack **** at everton ,, as far as man utds number 10 says its a dun deal ,i have no reason to doubt him

It just shows that we (and the clubs) expect players to show loyalty and want to be at our clubs but the clubs should show a bit of loyalty too when a player wants to stay.

I just hope its Moyes' decision to accept and strengthen the squad, not a case of his hand being forced.

mate ive said from april 2o11 ,when city were meant to be sniffing ,the boy is happy ,he still is ,but thats means jack **** at everton ,, as far as man utds number 10 says its a dun deal ,i have no reason to doubt him

ask him to bob his fat arse back our way, and then we will only ask for 6 million on top that way

by reading this thread all day at work...I have now attempted to strangle myself with my phone cord and taken a stapler to the head.

FFS get this sorted. one way or the other. my mental health is not able to take this silly season.

Discussing this with a mate in work. He's not an Everton fan, and he can't understand how we're not all licking our lips at the idea of getting anything above £15m for a full back who turns 28 this year. To be fair, he rates Baines a lot, was saying he should have played through the Euros and was rightly in team of the season last year.

But then threw a decent argument at me about no matter how good he is, full back is the most expendable position on the pitch, no matter how fit they are, once their legs start to go it's more telling than anyone who plays central, especially if they lack a physical presence because they're the most likely to come up against lightning pace and then he cited Maicon at me as a recent example of a full back who exemplifies the point he's making.

I hit back with how the Pienaar Baines chemistry is worth more to us than any other aspect of the team. The pride factor in losing arguably our best player, in his prime when he doesn't even want to go and the message that sends out. And the fear factor that Moyes would not be able to reinvest all the cash even if we did get a large portion of a very decent fee upfront.

But he was having none of it, a neutrals perspective (and a neutral who holds Baines in high regard) seems to be, mid to late teens and we've mugged United very well. I'm not convinced, I'd still much rather Baines stayed, but after that conversation I did see a bit of consolation should Moyes have cash to play with.

Hi Ian, you still think hes staying mate?
still 100% mate, from what i was told, he has no interest in leaving and it would take a massive offer for him to, throw into the mix they have the french 1st choice as there left back, they are struggling financially, there fans are sure they need a midfielder and striker before a left back and the tv which was massively bigger than any finance expert could have predicted so we go a bonus from that, which will come next year. and although fox is deffo sourced and has been brilliant for this forum he is the only itk and he is a gen itk that is saying it is done. im wont believe it until he is on sky holding the shirt up, as i say been told next to no chance and i only say next to as in theory they could offer 25 mill which they wont and then maybe it would be worth it

also it is important to note this lad is totaly un replacable where as everyone else in the squad is to an extent, thats how good he is

Your mate is right. As i've said all along and a neutral who sounds like he knows what he's talking about confirms : Baines will not be bought for more than £20 million. Be somewhere along the lines of £15-18, as Foxy says.

Discussing this with a mate in work. He's not an Everton fan, and he can't understand how we're not all licking our lips at the idea of getting anything above £15m for a full back who turns 28 this year.
I've said this many times, that 15-18 million for a full back who is fast approaching 28 years of age is too good an offer to turn down. Those that put a value of 20-25 million on him are quite clearly seeing things through their blue tinted specs.

If as has been suggested, the manager has the entire fee to reinvest, then our squad will look a hell of a lot stronger than it would have if Baines stayed.

I personally would find it exciting seeing the kind of names coming IN to the club on the back of his sale.

As good as he is, he isn't irreplaceable. With a board providing practically zero transfer funds, then player trading is the only way to go. In an ideal world, we would keep him and add quality but that isn't going to happen unfortunately.

Listen, he isnt worth £10m in real terms, but football has got very silly.

Glen Johnson is an £18m full back, so with that in mind, Baines is worth more than that. That is why people are saying £18-£20m

Listen, he isnt worth £10m in real terms, but football has got very silly.

Glen Johnson is an £18m full back, so with that in mind, Baines is worth more than that. That is why people are saying £18-£20m
Johnson was a youngster who showed very good potential. Ok he hasn't really kicked on, but at the time the fee looked about right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back