Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course he would. But there's no way he's going to that board and saying "pony up £20mill, ta". They'll dictate how much they want to pay, not what they should.

The same has to be said with Kenwright on the other end. He needs to slap a price tag on him and let them fight it out.

You won't see Levy buckling under the pressure when Real lowball Spurs for Bale.

Precisely. All Moyes will say is "Get me Leighton Baines" and then the negotiators (whoever the are, agents etc) will take over.

As if Moyes gets involved in the money side.

As a point of principle I think we should get in touch with Moyes and tell him his contract is cancelled with immediate effect. It might only have a few days to go, but at least we can show that we're not going to be pushed around. In future I think we should get a clause included in manager's contracts from the start that if they leave they can't come in for any of our players for 1 year. This is standard practice in my industry if you are going to a competitor.

That sounds good in principle, Dave and I certainly agree in aperfect world that would be the case.

But in reality, if a player's head is turned there is no point hanging on to him for an extra year.

IMO if Baines wants to go then we need to screw every last quid we can gt for him.

And I will wish him good luck if and when he does go....he has been a great servant to EFC and has been one of the few bright spots this past few years.

Mate, the feller has bled EFC dry for 11 years. He must have waltzed off with about £25-30M in wages; had his family all over the wage bill; frigged off to United for a big signing on fee leaving us holding our balls and nothing else by way of compo. Now he's trying to mug circa £10M off us over Baines.

Moyesiah my arse.

Don't be silly pal, think you'll find its our chairman who has done that.

Precisely. All Moyes will say is "Get me Leighton Baines" and then the negotiators (whoever the are, agents etc) will take over.

As if Moyes gets involved in the money side.

Not usually maybe, but sorry mate, not buying that in this case.

I think we know this is the opening salvo and is meant to test resolve. Moyes certainly will have had an input but may well not be the key figure. I just don't get why people seem to think he should respect us and what we've done for him. Footballs a meaner business than that. Now he has his new job, I'm not sure why he would overly care about what we think of him.

Well he should after being here for 11 years. He sounds like a pretty bloodless freak if he doesn't.

As for the bargaining: I've seen £18M enter this thread as a figure that's 'adequate'. No ****ing chance. Add another few more on top and keep going. Cant believe anyone would settle for £18M. Best LB in Europe.

From a business point of view it would probably be a good idea to sell, I think we often get too emotional. Sell him buy Shaw or the lad from Granada and sell them a bit later on to, this happens is Spain and Italy in teams who play in Europe regularly.

It is easy to get emotionally attached when its someone as loveable as Baines though.

I think we know this is the opening salvo and is meant to test resolve. Moyes certainly will have had an input but may well not be the key figure. I just don't get why people seem to think he should respect us and what we've done for him. Footballs a meaner business than that. Now he has his new job, I'm not sure why he would overly care about what we think of him.

I agree with all of that mate but Moyes wanted to stay for the last 3 games and play happy families. If he knew he wanted to play in a cut throat business he should have resigned the day he accepted his new job. He's intelligent enough to know the fans won't allow him the best of both worlds and I find it abit disrespectful, after 11 years, to treat your former (struggling) employers like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back