Liability Valente

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluesb1970

Player Valuation: £20m
He has been good in the past but it was evident in pre season that he is now past his best. He does make great tackles but gets caught when players are running on to the ball(as tonight). We need Baines back but in the mean time maybe Lescott should go there as teams will see this weakness as we do.
He was giving away needless fouls from the off tonight and is so obviously off the pace. Who should we play if not him?

I think that's very harsh. He had to get stuck in tonight and put in some excellent tackles. he's a full back that links well with Pienaar but tonight had his hands full trying to DEFEND. Our midfield and forwards struggled to get out of our own half against a far superior side tonight so why pick on Valente for not getting forward when in fact he did when the opportunity arose.

The fact that he was concussed probably didnt help. On Sunday against Wigan he got a smack in the face and again tonight. He's a defender, there to defend!

I think that's very harsh. He had to get stuck in tonight and put in some excellent tackles. he's a full back that links well with Pienaar but tonight had his hands full trying to DEFEND. Our midfield and forwards struggled to get out of our own half against a far superior side tonight so why pick on Valente for not getting forward when in fact he did when the opportunity arose.

The fact that he was concussed probably didnt help. On Sunday against Wigan he got a smack in the face and again tonight. He's a defender, there to defend!

well said, I thought I was going mad being the only one that thought Valente had a decent game. it was obvious that DM told him to get forward as often as he could I think if we hadn't needed to win this match he wouldn't have been caught out of position so many times.

I believe AJ was poor through no fault of his own he just couldn't play to the style that was needed last night, he needed replacing with 'neech earlier in the game.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, the lads played their hearts out and was undone by a superb keeper.

You have to be realistic though. He's second choice left back, possibly even third choice behind Lescott. Some clubs may be able to spend a few hundred million on world class backups but we don't have that money. I don't think many teams below us would have a world cup semi-finalist in reserve.

You have to be realistic though. He's second choice left back, possibly even third choice behind Lescott. Some clubs may be able to spend a few hundred million on world class backups but we don't have that money. I don't think many teams below us would have a world cup semi-finalist in reserve.

I agree, given the choice between him or baines it would be Baines every time that starts. I can't believe how much was made of Chelsea's injuries and missing players and we're just as bad if not worse off.

his pace let him down when trying to overlap and he had one golden opportunity in the second half to get a killer ball in when he was at the byline after a lucky bounce.

we really missed baines and yakubu.

I agree. All things considered I thought Valente give as much as anyone last night and was one of our better players, gave a very brave performace. He may have done things wrong, but thats partly because he was involved in so much of the game. Take osman for example, he didnt do too much wrong, but then again he hardly saw the ball either.

I thought he had a great game last night! Was caught a bit of for the goalbut it was a killer ball, did anyone else think he was carrying a bit of weight!

he did look abit out of shape to be honest....one of our heavier players there is no doubt about that.

Talking of weight, or lack of, my buddies and I were just walking down Goodison Road about 2 hours before K/O when Hibbo walked out from the Park End car park and proceeded to walk down the road about 3 paces ahead of us. He's definately a bit on the scrawny side. We stood by, whilst he posed for a kid to take his photo in one of the entrances. 2 minutes later the fitness coach walked by.

Hi, new to this board, been an Everton fan for 41 yrs, and feel both full back spots are major problems for us, it appears to me that when Lescott plays LB we seem to attack really well down left side, but obviously his preferred position is CB. Also we were undone by a similar ball that Arsenal played, not as long but long enough with Nuno well out of position, remember 4 midfielders out of position because of one sloppy header, still the team did us proud.

I thought we played well but got beat by a moment of pure class. Cole is a good player and he took the chance well. I thought we played them hard and thats all we could do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back