Match Thread Liverpool v Everton - Sunday 10th December

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two weeks ago, I'd fear the biggest spanking in Derby history. But now I think we can at least give them a game. Liverpool have a fantastic front line. Lucky they can't defend set plays very well. I'd be surprised if its not big Sam's plan to get try and beat them that way.

The issue for me in the past is that in several derbies, especially at Anfield, we've gone there attempting to play them at their own game. The Martinez derbies were especially painful, particularly the one in 13/14. I think we all believed the teams were pretty closely matched on paper for that one and we got absolutely tonked.

The mentality issue is definitely a key one but quite simply (and football history proves this) better players mean better results. We may not like it due to pride but I'm hoping that Sam treats us very much as the underdogs for this game and sets up accordingly and with set pieces being a key weapon in our arsenal. The simple fact is that they have better players- we can beat around the bush and pretend they don't but quite simply, they do. And they should do as over the years they've spent a hell of a lot more money than us. That's no excuse for how appalling our record is however. We need to get the monkey off our back ASAP. I'm just not sure we actually have the quality to do so.

Totally agree with your final sentence.....Phew !! However.... the change of attitude in derbies has to start sometime....and why not under a new manager? OK we know they are better than us atm, but we need to replicate the approach Royle's team had and play with no fear...if that happens you never know;);)
If Allardyce manages to conjure up some sort of result from this weeks derby he deserves to take the credit for it.

All week long.

DIrcDrlW4AAnxzb.jpg

The issue for me in the past is that in several derbies, especially at Anfield, we've gone there attempting to play them at their own game. The Martinez derbies were especially painful, particularly the one in 13/14. I think we all believed the teams were pretty closely matched on paper for that one and we got absolutely tonked.

The mentality issue is definitely a key one but quite simply (and football history proves this) better players mean better results. We may not like it due to pride but I'm hoping that Sam treats us very much as the underdogs for this game and sets up accordingly and with set pieces being a key weapon in our arsenal. The simple fact is that they have better players- we can beat around the bush and pretend they don't but quite simply, they do. And they should do as over the years they've spent a hell of a lot more money than us. That's no excuse for how appalling our record is however. We need to get the monkey off our back ASAP. I'm just not sure we actually have the quality to do so.

The 13/14 derby at Anfield was painful yes, but the teams were pretty even. Honestly for all the sticks to beat Martinez with, I still give him a pass for that one. We were injury stricken at the time, Distin and Coleman were big misses at the back, and then we rushed Barkley, Jagielka and Pienaar back from injury. Also lost Lukaku right after they scored their first. We were defo a bit naive but I think the reason for that was more so the injuries and of course they had Suarez, who infinitely improves any team.

According to Wikipedia:

Competition
Played Liverpool Draw Everton Liverpool goals Everton goals
Football League Division One
146 54 44 48 203 181
Premier League 50 22 19 9 70 45

Not stating anything we don't already know, but it is painful to see how bad our record is since the premier league began compared to how even it was prior to then. Also 6 of our 9 premier league wins came in the 90's. The Anfield derby being a highlight. 3 wins (one in the FA cup obviously) since 2000. That's hard to take. Does anybody know of any worse derby records globally?

According to Wikipedia:

Competition
146 54 44 48 203 181

Not stating anything we don't already know, but it is painful to see how bad our record is since the premier league began compared to how even it was prior to then. Also 6 of our 9 premier league wins came in the 90's. The Anfield derby being a highlight. 3 wins (one in the FA cup obviously) since 2000. That's hard to take. Does anybody know of any worse derby records globally?

My local knowledge down here would guess that Bristol Rivers record against Bristol City is probably way more woeful. That said, Rovers have often been in a lower league than City.

According to Wikipedia:

Competition
146 54 44 48 203 181

I think we're the worst. If I can recall after last year's December defeat BBC showed the stats for derbies around Europe and we had the worst one by some margin.

Even 1860 Munich have a better record against Bayern!

Might be subconscious, as I think of the upcoming derby, but Is it just me, or does anyone else feel a great sense of satisfaction when they mouse-over and smash the red lights in the site's Christmas decoration at the top of the page (I leave the blue ones alone, of course!)?

According to Wikipedia:

Competition
146 54 44 48 203 181

Our record 1990-2000 is actually alright.

It's more the Moyes era until now where things go massively south.

The truth if the Merseyside derby has become the most boring, predictable rivalry in modern football. The last time we really played well against Liverpool was the Dan Gosling game in 09. We just don't expect anything against them especially at Mordor. A lot of Everton fans who go to every away game, avoid the derby because they're so predictable. I'm sick of Everton players who are usually great, turning up at Anfield and playing awfully. I'm sick of Liverpool players who are usually rubbish, having worldies against us. It's been 7 years of misery, fuming and disappointment after derby games, we always find some way to mess it up. Also why is it, we always having huge amounts of injuries when we go in the games? Look at the teams that have won at Anfield in recent years. Villa, West Brom, Swansea, Palace, Southampton, West Ham, Reading, Wolves, Fulham and Barnsley. We just reserve our worst performances for them every season. Yes, Arsenal had a good record over Spurs, but that was because, Arsenal were a good side. Look at the rubbish we've failed to beat over the years. Then we're playing them in the cup to make it even worse, at Mordor.

Status
Not open for further replies.