Match Thread Liverpool v Everton : Sunday 24th April 2022 : Kick Off 4.30pm

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
We need a uptake in our away form.
They have been on a good run so due a slipup.
Are the stars aligned?

Defensively, we need to stop the width from their fullbacks and so that means closing down and pressing their team back. So that means 5 at the back:
Mykolenko - Godfrey - Mina - Holgate/Keane - Coleman

It gives protection and offers width to counter attack but also a middle to low block to stop the ball over the top.

Attacking wise, for me with no DCL it's Richarlison up front and because we have no out and out ball so we have to use our advantage in midfield to control the ball as best as we can centrally because going through the middle is the heart of their weakness so:
Delph - Allan/Doucoure - Van de Beek - Iwobi

If we line up as a straight block or even a diamond formation, it gives them problems because they won't have many options to pick from and time to dictate the play.

We have Richarlison looking to break through their high defensive line and he has the pace to get pass so Van de Beek can find the pass knowing that we have enough defensive cover behind our midfield.

Pickford
Coleman - Holgate - Mina - Godfrey - Mykolenko
Delph - Doucoure - Van de Beek - Iwobi
Richarlison

We need to frustrate, press and fight to close down space and win second balls. As the game continues, we have options in Gordon and Gray who will add pace in behind.

It won't be a pretty game but if we can get it tactically strict, we can get something out of this.

Didn't hear that, but you are right I probably would have said the same to him, it's grim enough listening to the commentary in your own head on a night like that?

Thing is this is a thread about our chances of an upset on Sunday and as I have said there was no evidence from what happened last night or at their match on Tuesday that it won't be a mulleriing and I think you've actually agreed with me

I've got no doubt that we may need a miracle on Sunday to get anything positive out of it.

Even if we'd won last night 5-0 though, I still wouldn't think we'd be getting anything. They're miles ahead if us and it'll take them chucking in ther worst performance all season and our best performance all season just to make it a contest.

Pickford
Coleman
Keane
Mina
Godfrey
Delph
Allan
Doucoure
De Beek
Richarlison
Iwobi
Gordon, Mykolenko, Gray, Rondon, Branthwaite, Gomes and another goalkeeper.
Dogs of war midfield, the damage limitation team.

I thought we were poor mate BUT........I've got to disagree on the scoring thing. Richarlison missed an absolute sitter, chances like that don't come around very often. Gordon got us into a couple of good positions 1st half, Gray flashed a fantastic effort just wide.

2nd half Richarlison should have done for better with the shot he scuffed straight at Schmeichel plus he should have buried his free header chance from the corner. Rondon flashed a great header right across goal, Coleman should have buried his chance and Gray and Iwobi were in good positions and ballooned it over.

True Leiceseter could and should have been 2-0 up before any of the above happened but Leicester took their foot off the pedal and we definitely had moments where we could and should have done better.

Not for the first time in the last 2 seasons but if Richarlison had any kind of composure about him and didn't snatch at efforts like a 5 year old, we'd have won last night after playing poorly.
Strange game - we chased shadows for most of it yet on balance had the clearer cut chances. Desperate for 3 pts at the start but you never know - that point might keep us up

We need a uptake in our away form.
They have been on a good run so due a slipup.
Are the stars aligned?

Defensively, we need to stop the width from their fullbacks and so that means closing down and pressing their team back. So that means 5 at the back:
Mykolenko - Godfrey - Mina - Holgate/Keane - Coleman

It gives protection and offers width to counter attack but also a middle to low block to stop the ball over the top.

Attacking wise, for me with no DCL it's Richarlison up front and because we have no out and out ball so we have to use our advantage in midfield to control the ball as best as we can centrally because going through the middle is the heart of their weakness so:
Delph - Allan/Doucoure - Van de Beek - Iwobi

If we line up as a straight block or even a diamond formation, it gives them problems because they won't have many options to pick from and time to dictate the play.

We have Richarlison looking to break through their high defensive line and he has the pace to get pass so Van de Beek can find the pass knowing that we have enough defensive cover behind our midfield.

Pickford
Coleman - Holgate - Mina - Godfrey - Mykolenko
Delph - Doucoure - Van de Beek - Iwobi
Richarlison

We need to frustrate, press and fight to close down space and win second balls. As the game continues, we have options in Gordon and Gray who will add pace in behind.

It won't be a pretty game but if we can get it tactically strict, we can get something out of this.
Don't mean to rain on your parade, but Utd tried 5 at the back and were totally and utterly demolished. We need a back 4 with the right personnel in the correct positions and 2 defensive midfielders as cover.
I'd rather have that then 5 defenders all getting in each others way.

I would just be happy with keeping it fairly close here as our goal difference could make all the difference come the end of the season and ours is currently the same as Burnley. Liverpool can put 4/5 past anyone on their day.

Play Bergovic in defence. In fact put everyone in the 18yd box and whack the ball out of play every time we might get a touch. Go down at the least challenge and roll around like you’ve been shot. Sit on the ball and try to put an egg in it. Everton fans invade the pitch every 10 minutes.
Best tactics I've seen yet until the ref deploys the little known rule of not playing into lance Armstrong FCs tactics, penalty to Liverpool

My team would be

Kelly

Clement Kemwright Unsworth Baines

Moshiri Sheedy Lampard Cole

Sharp Ferguson

I genuinely think that side has more chance of getting anything out of Liverpool than anything else we could pick especially as Kebwright is well known for keeping it tight although I would be a little bit concerned about Moshiris decision making

Referee: Stuart Attwell.
Most recently refereed our 5-0 thrashing by Spurs. Before that when City beat us 3-0 and WHU beat us 1-0 end of 2021.

Assistants: Lee Betts, Timothy Wood.

Fourth official: Jonathan Moss.

VAR: Darren England.
Assistant VAR: Dan Robathan

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.