2021/22 Lucas Digne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah Baines was better than Digne in every department. No criticism of Digne that either, Baines was just a top player.

Just not at defending, and average at best for England.

Baines defensive side was protected by our defnsive team, even the left midfielder supported him.

I love Baines, but if your not letting him take set-plays / pens etc, he doesn't do much else, hense his England form really and the Ego kings or Rooney, Gerrard & Lampard took all the frree kicks /corners.

£25m isn’t a great fee but isn’t bad either.

It’s probably the going rate given his big wages and the fact we’ve publicised that he’s no longer wanted. Ultimately he’s 29 in 6 months and we’re in no position to hold onto players who will lose value in the near future.

The big downside is selling a great player to Villa. They’re a good outfit with a progressive manager (as much as I can’t stand him).

Villa’s team with Coutinho and Digne added are better than us, and shows the difference between an effective set up and what we have.

I’m actually surprised there aren’t better teams in for Digne. He’d clean up at Chelsea and I think they’re missing a trick not getting him.

I’m also surprised by how many suddenly don’t rate him. He’s a top player who’s been wasted with our tactics ever since that first 10 games last season. Since then we’ve played terrible football and not played to his strengths.

Just not at defending, and average at best for England.

Baines defensive side was protected by our defnsive team, even the left midfielder supported him.

I love Baines, but if your not letting him take set-plays / pens etc, he doesn't do much else, hense his England form really and the Ego kings or Rooney, Gerrard & Lampard took all the frree kicks /corners.

He only didn't play for England much because Cole was world class.

It’s probably the going rate given his big wages and the fact we’ve publicised that he’s no longer wanted. Ultimately he’s 29 in 6 months and we’re in no position to hold onto players who will lose value in the near future.

The big downside is selling a great player to Villa. They’re a good outfit with a progressive manager (as much as I can’t stand him).

Villa’s team with Coutinho and Digne added are better than us, and shows the difference between an effective set up and what we have.

I’m actually surprised there aren’t better teams in for Digne. He’d clean up at Chelsea and I think they’re missing a trick not getting him.

I’m also surprised by how many suddenly don’t rate him. He’s a top player who’s been wasted with our tactics ever since that first 10 games last season. Since then we’ve played terrible football and not played to his strengths.
Chelsea probably couldn't justify that kind of fee for effectively a 6-month transfer. Napoli couldn't afford him but were interested.

Although this could be good business for us, I don't think the lad should be slated on here as he has always given 100% to the shirt, because he has questioned Benitez tactics which has every right to then gets frozen out, the lad just wants to play, while we are stuck with Benitez and his tactics ie keeps playing 5 at the back b Hull and playing Rolo up front when it's quite obvious the lad is finished, meanwhile Dobbin and Simms move on

The timing will affect who's in for him. Not many teams are going to be interested in spending £30m on a left back in January you'd have to have a pretty solid reason to be doing that its not standard practice. If it was a normal summer transfer with more time to prepare bids and move your current left back on then I think you'd see bigger teams in for him.

Im not sure its a sellers market due to covid, cashflow is very low all round, apart from the uber rich

Jan is always a sellers market mate, it’s a hop, skip and jump to the summer window and very rarely do you get a ready to go, test driven player like Dinge available, very few clubs are selling their better player, which Digne is.

You need to work the angle, Villa got a 100 mill shot in the arm in the summer without having to tap other resources, new manager, club want to be seen to support him etc etc - that’s our leverage. Though to be fair we will prob melt because the club is a basket case and will pull medicoracey from any possible beneficial situation, which is how we got here with Digne really!

Chelsea probably couldn't justify that kind of fee for effectively a 6-month transfer. Napoli couldn't afford him but were interested.

Chelsea’s first choice left back is out for the season and you never know if a player will recover after an injury like that.

Their back up left back is 31 and, although effective, not top drawer.

I think it would make a lot of sense for them. Especially as Digne would probably take a pay cut to live in London for the CL holders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back