2021/22 Lucas Digne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Add £5m to whatever is the transfer fee to make it look bad. £20m to £25m was always the acceptable figure. In order to remain negative and complain about it, just add on.
I think £25m all things considered - in the circumstances and given how badly it's been handled - is a good deal.

I think if Everton were not looking to actively sell or if he and the manager hadn't fallen out they wouldn't even be entertaining offers close to £20m and definitely nothing under £25m.

But he and the manager have fallen out and Everton need the money.

Thats a pretty good assessment to be fair
I'd love Ancelotti back. The idea he was crap is ludicrous.

He underwhelmed at the end of last season. I was one of the ones pointing that out. But the difference between him and the current pleb is night and day.

Like I keep saying, we need to take 40 points from the last 60 on offer to match last season's points total.

But first off, let's just get 6-9 points at least from the next four games, which are all against teams around or below us. If we can get 7 points, I think we can probably think we're safe from relegation, just given who we're playing.

You think we could get more than £25M for that Frenchman?

That's the issue being discussed.
Sorry. Is that the only conversation that has been going on in this thread for the last 6 weeks? Are the only posts you have made in this thread all related to the fee we can expect to achieve for him?

Not at all. He's 28, not 30-31, signed a long-term deal this time last year, is easily in the top 5 LBs in the Premier League, probably top 10-15 in Europe in his position quite easily. He's not world class, no, but there aren't many left-backs who are.

I'd imagine Everton would value him around the £30m mark in an ideal world. But we don't live in an ideal world.
If Jaffa boy kept his gob shut we might have got circa £30 mil.

He underwhelmed at the end of last season. I was one of the ones pointing that out. But the difference between him and the current pleb is night and day.

Like I keep saying, we need to take 40 points from the last 60 on offer to match last season's points total.

But first off, let's just get 6-9 points at least from the next four games, which are all against teams around or below us. If we can get 7 points, I think we can probably think we're safe from relegation, just given who we're playing.
No he definitely wasn't crap he was a great manager just not a good fit here and he was always going to leave if a better offer came along . I'll never forgive him for giving the Iranian lunatic the opportunity to bring in Benitez.

It’s annoying that this season is down the drain in terms of the league, and there’s no doubt in my mind that Ancelotti is a far superior manager to Benitez or anyone else we’ve had before.

We have to get safe this season though, allow some players to leave this window, and then clear a lot more out in the summer. Even if we only did that I’d probably then be more content he was fired at some point next season if it really has to come to that.

What I don’t want to see though is this group of players thinking they’ve won another round if Benitez gets fired this season because the relegation risk is too high.

We’ll go out to market for a new manager who will no doubt want to ‘assess the squad’ over the pre season again. There’ll be extensions for players like Coleman Kenny Davies Delph just because it’s easier to keep them around than make a decision on them before you’ve seen them. We’ll keep hold of a load of dross and it’s job done by this group of players once again.

I want to see the earth scorched here until all traces of this clown show squad culture have gone. Then I don’t care what happens to the manager. We need points in the next few games though to avoid a ruinous firing.

If we honestly get undone because Norwich or Newcastle have a better tactical plan than us and outplay us then fine, all fingers can point towards Benitez. But if I see Keane ducking under crosses with his eyes shut, Coleman shinning balls inside his own area and losing possession, Godfrey or Holgate playing back passes to opposition strikers, Gomes floating through the game like he can’t be arsed. Then for me this is just a brother example of these players trying to get a manager fired. They need to be punted.

I think Digne is a player who has gone stale, and I think he'll be good for Villa initially. I doubt if he'll be outstanding in the long term.
Personally I think both Ings and Watkins will be relishing the prospect of Digne joining Villa. By contrast, I'm pretty sure that DCL and Richarlison will be disappointed that he is leaving. But they are both professionals so probably won't say anything.

If Jaffa boy kept his gob shut we might have got circa £30 mil.
Well look, I'll be kind to Benitez. Even if he hadn't had made it all public, which he did entirely, Digne said nothing throughout this, then the issue still would have been there, and agents etc would all have known, so it'd have still been an issue.

However, my problem is the argument happening. Digne - look, suppose players shouldn't challenge their manager in front of the rest of the team. If that happened as reported he overstepped the mark and it's on Benitez to decide what the repercussion was.

I understand dropping him, but then the continued omission, the cryptic press statements and then the bizarre Brighton thing of putting him on the bench with no intention to use him was just mad. Benitez brought that trouble on himself and it made the whole situation worse - even though I think Digne isn't blameless.

In terms of general concept of selling an older (not finished) player to get younger ones in, I'm on board with that.

How it's come about and the handling of it, with Everton in no position to bargain, midway through the season when we're in genuine danger of going down, is not good.

Anyway mate, how are you. Not seen you on here in a while?
Getting there mate.

I tend to stay out of the Everton threads. Upsets me to see the fans so polarised tbh, almost as much as it upsets me to see what our manager is doing to the team.

Personally I think both Ings and Watkins will be relishing the prospect of Digne joining Villa. By contrast, I'm pretty sure that DCL and Richarlison will be disappointed that he is leaving. But they are both professionals so probably won't say anything.

How many of our corners didn’t beat the first man at the weekend.…,.

Last edited:
Well look, I'll be kind to Benitez. Even if he hadn't had made it all public, which he did entirely, Digne said nothing throughout this, then the issue still would have been there, and agents etc would all have known, so it'd have still been an issue.

However, my problem is the argument happening. Digne - look, suppose players shouldn't challenge their manager in front of the rest of the team. If that happened as reported he overstepped the mark and it's on Benitez to decide what the repercussion was.

I understand dropping him, but then the continued omission, the cryptic press statements and then the bizarre Brighton thing of putting him on the bench with no intention to use him was just mad. Benitez brought that trouble on himself and it made the whole situation worse - even though I think Digne isn't blameless.
I totally agree & fully aware of how it unfolded.
Once impasse takes place , agents brought in and its settled .

It has to be done this way for the benefit of the club .
But once Benitez blurts it out the position is compromised.
Its similar to what he done with James in the summer.

Its not how a club does business.
Wreckless and costly is what it is.

On to sell Richarlison and DCL, then every really decent player but Gray is out the door. Well done.
We need to overhaul everything and don't have the money. So anyone who can pull more money in than their value should be on the transfer list. That probably includes Richarlison and Pickford. DCL maybe not, finding goalscorers is hard.

It’s annoying that this season is down the drain in terms of the league, and there’s no doubt in my mind that Ancelotti is a far superior manager to Benitez or anyone else we’ve had before.

We have to get safe this season though, allow some players to leave this window, and then clear a lot more out in the summer.
Even if we only did that I’d probably then be more content he was fired at some point next season if it really has to come to that.

What I don’t want to see though is this group of players thinking they’ve won another round if Benitez gets fired this season because the relegation risk is too high.

We’ll go out to market for a new manager who will no doubt want to ‘assess the squad’ over the pre season again. There’ll be extensions for players like Coleman Kenny Davies Delph just because it’s easier to keep them around than make a decision on them before you’ve seen them. We’ll keep hold of a load of dross and it’s job done by this group of players once again.

I want to see the earth scorched here until all traces of this clown show squad culture have gone. Then I don’t care what happens to the manager. We need points in the next few games though to avoid a ruinous firing.

If we honestly get undone because Norwich or Newcastle have a better tactical plan than us and outplay us then fine, all fingers can point towards Benitez. But if I see Keane ducking under crosses with his eyes shut, Coleman shinning balls inside his own area and losing possession, Godfrey or Holgate playing back passes to opposition strikers, Gomes floating through the game like he can’t be arsed. Then for me this is just a brother example of these players trying to get a manager fired. They need to be punted.
I fully agree with that and despite my dislike of the manager (for his qualities as a manager and personality on top of that), I don't want Everton to lose games.

I just don't see him ever being the right person. Fans rightly say we need unity and stability but we cannot possibly be ever united or stable under this manager. He has not, throughout his career, ever had unity or stability since about 2008, when his Liverpool tenure started to slip. How can a figure who thrives off aggro and division - and he does, as he's got older he seems to seek it out! - be the manager to bring unity and stability.

I feel for him in ways that he's had bad luck, as he has. But most Everton managers do. Ancelotti had plenty of it, it's why we ended up playing 442 with bloody Sigurdsson up front, as we did a year ago today at Wolves (442 with GS and James up front and Iwobi and Digne on the wings).

I know we have issues in the squad, I know there are jokers and clowns and cowards etc. I just think we have a manager who is all of those things too. he's a coward as he always blames others, doesn't like being challenged. He's a joker as he says the right things (knows what the fans want etc) and then does the opposite, and he's a clown because he makes some of the most baffling decisions I have seen, and it's a high bar at Everton!

Let's just hope we get the points we need and can assess going forward. But Benitez, long term, takes us nowhere, and I fear we go down, I really, really do.

At the end of the day, it is the manager's job - any manager - to motivate and organise the team. If it wasn't their job, then managers wouldn't be a thing and we'd just send out 11 lads every week

We need to overhaul everything and don't have the money. So anyone who can pull more money in than their value should be on the transfer list. That probably includes Richarlison and Pickford. DCL maybe not, finding goalscorers is hard.
In a team with relegation form, selling all the best players is not a good move. We will lose more money selling them now than we get for staying in the PL.

Status
Not open for further replies.