Lukaku

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you don't think he should be creating space better for our creative players to find him and link up play, no?

Like top class strikers all over the world do?

Nah, it's easier to just call me stupid for pointing out that he doesn't I guess.

The lad is 20, are you really expecting him to be consistent when playing as a lone striker.

I think everyone agrees on this thread that he's got things to work on, but I fail to see how you can't recognise the effort he puts in.

I'm not going to get in a FM debate with you about tactics and how it isn't working with Lukaku in front, but I see him making runs all the time, pointing when in space. I often find myself shouting at the tv regarding Mirallas, not Lukaku.

As do I. But I don't think playing you week in, week out regardless and encouraging complacency is the way to do it. The point we differ on is do you play such a player regardless. I personally disagree that you should. I think you should be telling a talented player when they're piss poor and to get their finger out. Competition for places is healthy, and no matter how much raw talent a player has they shouldn't be in the side on potential alone.

Look at Baines lately. He was useless tonight. If Oviedo was fit, he'd deserve the place next game as he's been much, much better this year than Baines.

Does that mean I think Oviedo is a better player than Baines? Absolutely not, but the hope is that Baines responds positively as a professional.

But is Lukaku a professional? I've been concerned by his media outbursts since he joined; I'm not convinced by him. I think he's a sulker.

I'd love him as a permanent Everton player as I think he's got everything, and he's two years away from showing it. But would I love him as a starting striker this season regardless of form? Absolutely not.

I agree but the issue is that we really haven't had someone that could challenge him for that spot once we sold Jelavic. I'm assuming that was what Traore was brought in for but now I think we're gonna see Traore as soon as he's fit.

Disagree massively. I'd be the first to applaud it if it was; that's the first thing I look for in a striker as movement leads to the midfield encroaching and greater attacking play overall (I got slated non-stop for pointing out Jelavic's movement on here) but he's not moving intelligently in my view, he's been a liability. He's running down blind alleys and he's then sulking when the move breaks down and not bothering to drop deep and link up play at all. And when he does his first touch is usually his last.

I'll agree his link up play has been lacking, but everytime we are getting close to the box he draws defenders away and even though he hasn't been scoring it's opened up oppourtunities for others. They were compacted in their 18 yd box today Lukaku would have been a massive help decompressing their defence.

Speechless.

Instead of a one word response, tell me exactly what Lukaku has done since early December to justify the "speechless" comment.

I agree completely he was outstanding until then, but form is the immediate factor - what has he done lately?

It's really easy to become attached to a player and reminisce fondly on past glories, but it's a lot harder to look at players you rate overall and critically analyse their form, which is what we're talking about here.

The lad is 20, are you really expecting him to be consistent when playing as a lone striker.

I think everyone agrees on this thread that he's got things to work on, but I fail to see how you can't recognise the effort he puts in.

I'm not going to get in a FM debate with you about tactics and how it isn't working with Lukaku in front, but I see him making runs all the time, pointing when in space. I often find myself shouting at the tv regarding Mirallas, not Lukaku.

The effort he put in in September to November was absolutely outstanding. He was the complete striker, bullying defences and creating space.

BUT... he hasn't put the same effort in. Trust me, of everyone on this forum, if I saw the effort from Lukaku, I'd be the very first backing him to the hilt. In fact, the goals don't concern me; the effort does.

Instead of a one word response, tell me exactly what Lukaku has done since early December to justify the "speechless" comment.

I agree completely he was outstanding until then, but form is the immediate factor - what has he done lately?

It's really easy to become attached to a player and reminisce fondly on past glories, but it's a lot harder to look at players you rate overall and critically analyse their form, which is what we're talking about here.

So Lukaku has been worse than Stracqualursi and Vellios?

I'll admit he's not been good but that was an ill thought statement.

In terms of effort and application, absolutely.

That doesn't mean I'm saying Stracq or Vellios are better players, but in terms of form and application, absolutely. Vellios put in a good effort when he played and was dropped unceremoniously, and Stracq put in a massive shift.

Lukaku since late November has been a liability in terms of effort first and foremost; goals are very much secondary.

The effort he put in in September to November was absolutely outstanding. He was the complete striker, bullying defences and creating space.

BUT... he hasn't put the same effort in. Trust me, of everyone on this forum, if I saw the effort from Lukaku, I'd be the very first backing him to the hilt. In fact, the goals don't concern me; the effort does.

I just can't agree with you, the whole team performances haven't been as good for over a month and half, whether that's down to injuries, fatigue etc, so to single out Lukaku when I think he's trying really bloody hard, when he's often so isolated in games is unfair.

If it's a bad injury I fully expect him to be back at Chelsea within the week.

Why would he stay at Everton to recover when he's out for the season and only on loan?

See ya Romelu, it was nice while it lasted.

I'll agree his link up play has been lacking, but everytime we are getting close to the box he draws defenders away and even though he hasn't been scoring it's opened up oppourtunities for others. They were compacted in their 18 yd box today Lukaku would have been a massive help decompressing their defence.

A striker will always draw at least one man away as he's given a marker in any given movement on goal. However, a world class striker will pull people out of place, come towards midfield or spin off the shoulder, judging each attack on its merits.

Lukaku has offered no variation in his movement at all lately. He should be linking up play, getting involved, but he is almost solely responsible for attacks breaking down as he's 20 yards away from the ball all the time. He stands still and backs into centre halves, or spins away to the channels.

Earlier in the year, he was doing it all, and the goals followed naturally, but it was his movement, intelligence and brute power that impressed me. Literally all of that has gone down the drain.

In terms of effort and application, absolutely.

That doesn't mean I'm saying Stracq or Vellios are better players, but in terms of form and application, absolutely. Vellios put in a good effort when he played and was dropped unceremoniously, and Stracq put in a massive shift.

Lukaku since late November has been a liability in terms of effort first and foremost; goals are very much secondary.

I'll give you Stracq, I actually liked him for all his effort, but Vellios was utterly useless. He scored a couple of goals off the bench but when he was called upon to start games he was totally ineffective.

It's a worry regarding Lukaku (or at least it was, if he's going to be out for the season). At the start of the season I would have happily paid £25m for him, now I don't know what I'd be willing to pay. Just got to pray Tree man is up to the job.

Is right.

The 'worst in a decade' comment was correctly summed up by your first response & didn't deserve further comment as it was pure drivel

Tubey must watch the match on a grainy internet stream & obviously can't see the runs that Lukaku consistently makes off the ball, that's the only reason I can fathom for that comment.

If it's a bad injury I fully expect him to be back at Chelsea within the week.

Why would he stay at Everton to recover when he's out for the season and only on loan?

See ya Romelu, it was nice while it lasted.

This is what I was thinking, and to think some people on here are ok with this just because he hasn't scored many recently.

It's just laughable.

I'll give you Stracq, I actually liked him for all his effort, but Vellios was utterly useless. He scored a couple of goals off the bench but when he was called upon to start games he was totally ineffective.

It's a worry regarding Lukaku (or at least it was, if he's going to be out for the season). At the start of the season I would have happily paid £25m for him, now I don't know what I'd be willing to pay. Just got to pray Tree man is up to the job.

That's a better comment than "speechless" ;)

Yeah agreed. As I say, massively rate Lukaku myself, outstanding potential, but he's not the finished article and we shouldn't be subservient to his talents until he consistently proves himself.

Hopefully, his injury and atrocious form knock £5-10m off his price tag in the summer, that's the only positive I can take from this, as he's going to be an incredible player two years from now.

But he's not that incredible player now, that's my point. Let's just be honest and not deluded about him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back