Luke Garbutt

Try to keep him, or let him leave ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Echo say he's close to signing a five year deal having been given assurances that he'll challenge Baines for the left back spot in 2016/17 after spending next year on loan at a Premiership side. Bournemouth cited as the most likely destination, but Swansea were also interested in a permanent deal for him.

I could link to the Echo story but be arsed with finding it. Type 'Garbutt Everton' into Google News and it's right there.

This is very good news. As I said a few weeks ago the longer it went on the after the season the more confident I was that he would sign.

From what's said about Garbutt he is a clever thoughtful lad and I suspect in this instance the most simple explanation is the most plausible. He always intended to sit down at the end of the season and consider his options. This wasn't as some had speculated him doing a Judas, or looking to whittle it down, but that he wanted a bit of time away to consider which way he wanted to go in going forward.

I think he has taken a sensible option. Everton have a good record of developing young players, and also moving them on to top clubs when the time is right. If he signs for say Bournemouth he runs the risk playing in the championship. If he signs for a Liverpool, they are likely to sign more left backs within the next two years and he could end up being lost or discarded.

This is a sensible option for him. He signs for us for 5 years, potentially with either a release clause, or a gentleman's agreement that if he's not first choice in 12 months time he can move on for a fair fee. he gets 12 months experience at Bournemouth to potentially iron out some of the weaknesses in his game, playing for a progressive young manager. If Bournemouth stay up he then has an opportunity to decide where he wants to go next year.

Alternatively we get a year to potentially look at easing Baines out or moving him into different positions. At the end of the 12 months, we can see if Garbutt warrants a first team place at left back, or move him on to Bournemouth.

Good sense by all involved. For Everton excellent news. Stones, Garbutt, Barkley, Deulofeu and Lukaku. Can we remember the last time we had so many talented young players? Add to that Browning and Galloway who are in and arund the first team squad, and Mccarthy/Besic who are still early 20's and we have an excellent group

TBH does he need to go out for a season on loan?

Oviedo is a crock now and that leaves us with Baines only. He picked up a number of injuries last season and do we really want a half-fit Baines forced in at left back as we have no other options?

I'd be blooding Garbutt at Everton. Or sending him on an initial three month loan with recall option.

Oviedo is a crock now and that leaves us with Baines only. He picked up a number of injuries last season and do we really want a half-fit Baines forced in at left back as we have no other options?

I'd be blooding Garbutt at Everton. Or sending him on an initial three month loan with recall option.
Good move. Only hoping there is an option to recall him at any time next season if required though.

Edit. Hearing the Roberto interview on the official site, I think we may see Galloway play left back a bit next season so maybe not...

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/2015/06/21/modern-duo-please-martinez?logged=out

Roberto Martinez is delighted to have two ‘modern’ young defenders within his Everton ranks.

After Brendan Galloway made his debut at the tail end of the 2014/15 campaign at West Ham United, before adding a second outing against Tottenham Hotspur on the final day, he drew comparisons to fellow youngster John Stones.

Stones himself has made huge strides since breaking into the Blues side at the same age Galloway did, 19.

The pair’s manager believes that, while they are two very different players, they share many of the hallmarks of what’s needed to be a modern day defender.

“They are different players,” Martinez insisted. “But the similarities are that they are both good defenders with a lot of athleticism and you need that in the modern game.

“Brendan now is ready to play left-back and he is someone who can cope with those demands really well. Eventually he is someone who could play centrally as a centre half.

“But both, as different as they are, share that modern way of defending where you are not too worried about being left in one-v-one situations. They are very good in the air as well as in duels on the ground. On top of that they are players who can start the play, who are very comfortable on the ball.

“That is how a modern day footballer should be brought up.”

Unfair to call Oviedo a crock, hes suffered 2 unfortunate major injuries and 1 that happens often to pace players. He'll along with baines will be fit for the season.

No club would accept a 3 month loan for garbutt with and option for a recall, especially not a prem club like we're looking at sending him to.

That lad needs week in week out football, he won't get that here at the minute. A few decent corners and crosses aside theres still alot of development that needs to happen there

If he does sign a 5 Year Deal and then goes on loan for a season, I think that's a great outcome

I'd rather play Oviedo further up the pitch anyway

Galloway has shown he can hold his own at LB well enough, so Garbutt can have a full season away to get the minutes he wants and then I can see Martinez rotating Baines and him when he gets back after his loan

He needs regular playing time. Hopefully Oviedo will be fit but if he's not we also have Galloway who did a decent job last 2 games.

He'll be in good hands at Bournemouth. Howe plays good football and is a Blue himself, so he'll look after him. Plus they're looking for a new LB so Garbutt fits the bill. Not a chance he'll be going to Swansea they've just signed that French LB the other day.

Makes sense all round.

This whole "Oviedo is a crock" argument really holds little weight, especially when you take into account the injury against Stevenage

That was a totally freak incident that could have felled anyone

It hardly works as proof of Oviedo being injury prone

He's hardly Gibson, Kone or Alcaraz when it comes to injuries. He's not always injured as a result of standard things. He suffered an absolute mother fudger of an injury. He didn't get it jogging in the warm up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back