2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fella's job is very difficult. As far as I'm concerned there's been a lot of solid buys but if we want Everton to stop being best of the rest in 8th place he's got to unearth some gems for bargain prices. Think about Mane for £30m when we were spending the same amount on Bolasie.

....his job was to override, that’s what a DoF should do. He was paid £1m per year to manage the transfer of players and awarding of new contracts. Koeman wasn’t there when Tosun was purchased and I doubt Allardyce progressed that deal because he rarely played him when he arrived.

I remember seeing him in the stands watching Sandro, Keane is slow as a tug boat and weak minded. I can only think of Gueye and arguably Pickford who are successes from the Walsh era. Nothing he did here suggests he’s even a decent scout. Regardless, he was a dreadful DoF, there is no doubt about that.
A DoF cant over ride an owner who gives his backing to a coach. Koeman was given everything he asked for by Moshiri. Do you think if he wanted a player Walsh could have stopped it? Not a chance. That was the Real Politik.

The fella's job is very difficult. As far as I'm concerned there's been a lot of solid buys but if we want Everton to stop being best of the rest in 8th place he's got to unearth some gems for bargain prices. Think about Mane for £30m when we were spending the same amount on Bolasie.
We spent 25 million on Bolasie and 42 million on Siggy, our net spend the last 3-4 seasons is the 4th highest.

A DoF cant over ride an owner who gives his backing to a coach. Koeman was given everything he asked for by Moshiri. Do you think if he wanted a player Walsh could have stopped it? Not a chance. That was the Real Politik.

I think it’s public record and Koeman said that there was the double sign off system, so Walsh potentially did have the veto right.

I don’t think he ever really wielded it, or intended to wield it. I think he let Koeman run riot for fear of upsetting him and/or Moshiri.

...this conversation is Groundhog Day, but ultimately Walsh is accountable and culpable for what transpired whilst he was here. Koeman was a disaster as was Walsh, we can surmise all day about which of them generated a specific deal, but there is very little coming out of their dealings which benefited the club.

The actual information I got from Brands is that he was content with his relationship with Koeman, but he went to see Moshiri because he felt Kenwright was meddling too much in his transfer dealings. He wasn’t happy with Kenwright.

Time will tell how effective Brands is, but he’s certainly playing the role of a proper DoF, unlike his predecessor and i’m encouraged by the churn that has been managed thus far.

Last edited:

...this conversation is Groundhog Day, but ultimately Walsh is accountable and culpable for what transpired whilst he was here. Koeman was a disaster as was Walsh, we can surmise all day about which of them generated a specific deal, but there is very little coming out of their dealings which benefited the club.

The actual information I got from Brands is that he was content with his relationship with Koeman, but he went to see Moshiri because he felt Kenwright was meddling too much in his transfer dealings. He wasn’t happy with Kenwright.

Time will tell how effective Brands is, but he’s certainly playing the role of a proper DoF, unlike his predecessor and i’m encouraged by the churn that has been managed thus far.
Techniclaly Walsh was in control. I doubt there's an Evertonian alive though who thinks he got his way with Koeman as manager.

Brands on the other hand definitely IS in charge. That's the core difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back