2020/21 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tbh mate I was annoyed but at the same time, who could we bring in? Very little clubs have been able to do any business, it's difficult given COVID restrictions and finances at the moment. West Ham sold their only CF and haven't been able to replace him which tells a story in itself. The RS are stuck with bringing in a mediocre Championship CB - the market just isn't there.

Well if that’s the case you keep what you can then and don’t weaken the depth within the squad. It’s debatable wether the players who have left are up to it but have a look at that bench at the weekend and have a guess what it’s gonna look like against Leeds. Ask yourself what’s happens if we lose James or DCL to injuries? We just about had any depth as it is letting players leave just solely to free we wages for 6 months is short sighted.

The list of positions never ends either. There is always one more position that needs filling, whether we are 18th or 5-8th in the league. Thats not a dig at people either, it's because we all want to get better all of the time.

Right back- Mason Holgate currently has the shirt. He's done well in that position. He has for the time being at least, resolved that issue
Right Wing- Iwobi is beginning to show some form there.
Back up Forward- This is the biggest risk for me. We have essentially let 3 lads go on loan. 2 of the 3 it is a short term hit for a long term potential gain if they can kick on. It's a risk though. However, the manager may have stated he has happy with Gylfi as a 3rd back up option.

I'll be honest, if nobody comes in though, something feels very off about this window. With Brands contract coming up, it smells a bit like an owner who wants a new DOF and ultimately doesn't want anymore money going via Brands. I am not going to make a big moral judgement on that, other than to say it would seem quite an odd decision to come to in terms of timing.

It changed as the season goes on as well. I’m not sure anyone envisioned Godfrey and Holgate becoming first choice fullbacks this season but we ended up in thy position due to injury and then Carlo realising we’re a lot more solid with them in the side.

Equally if we play three in midfield then we get an issue about the third midfielder spot whether Gomes should play there or not and we suddenly look very short of options. If it’s 4231 though then the middle two are covered a bit better but then it’s all on whether James is fit and if not then Siggurdson is straight in at ten. If we want to play wingbacks Carlo could argue for another centreback with pace and a right wing back.

Its not as simple as some make out but I fully agree that letting Kean Tosun Bernard Walcott leave without any reinforcement coming in at the top of the pitch seems strange.

I actually think Koeman went for Vlasic as well. ‘He looked decent against us for a few mins, just get him in’. Utterly ridiculous impulse signing for a lot of money.
That window where he went up and up and up on the fee for Sigurdsson.

He should have been told by Moshiri to GTF.

That window where he went up and up and up on the fee for Sigurdsson.

He should have been told by Moshiri to GTF.

The same managerial genius who forced out Suarez at a cut price deal to a team challenging Barcelona for the title when Martin Braithwaite was his only backup. Biggest con artist in world football bar none.

It changed as the season goes on as well. I’m not sure anyone envisioned Godfrey and Holgate becoming first choice fullbacks this season but we ended up in thy position due to injury and then Carlo realising we’re a lot more solid with them in the side.

Equally if we play three in midfield then we get an issue about the third midfielder spot whether Gomes should play there or not and we suddenly look very short of options. If it’s 4231 though then the middle two are covered a bit better but then it’s all on whether James is fit and if not then Siggurdson is straight in at ten. If we want to play wingbacks Carlo could argue for another centreback with pace and a right wing back.

Its not as simple as some make out but I fully agree that letting Kean Tosun Bernard Walcott leave without any reinforcement coming in at the top of the pitch seems strange.

Just as we speak some talk of Josh King again. While a lot depends on wages and 120k would be too rich for me he kind of ticks a lot of boxes. You could even potentially get Gordon out for 6 months as well, which will do him good, and he's decent cover across the front.

If we can swap Bernard out, for King in, with hopefully a bit shaved off the wage bill, thats smart in my view.

Well if that’s the case you keep what you can then and don’t weaken the depth within the squad. It’s debatable wether the players who have left are up to it but have a look at that bench at the weekend and have a guess what it’s gonna look like against Leeds. Ask yourself what’s happens if we lose James or DCL to injuries? We just about had any depth as it is letting players leave just solely to free we wages for 6 months is short sighted.

We're not far off breaching FFP at the moment, the club is clearly doing anything it can to reduce the expenditure - if even on a temp basis.

In fairness, James was injured throughout all of December and we managed to beat Arsenal, Chelsea and Leicester. DCL is obviously a bigger issue but will have Cenk Tosun on the bench for the remainder of the season have any impact on things? Doubt it.

So we had a DoF that was useless and was being paid to just do nothing and let the manager run the show?

I don't believe he wasn't involved in those koeman signings, but that is equally as bad.
He was a head scout in reality. He was poorly recruited as a DoF by the clueess Moshiri.

I'd have him back as head scout.

Still haven’t replaced Lukaku, how long has Brands had now?
dcl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.