2021/22 Mason Holgate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think he has the fire and desire but not the ability or footballing brain. Would make a good Championship side CH and Captain . I watched all his performances for Westbourne at RB and couldn't believe how different he played there to how he played RB last season. He had a few assists with them and would have had a few more if they counted from throw ins. Last season could have been down to how Carlo wanted him to play though. He is the sort to read things about himself, I critiisised a performance a couple of seasons back on the Everton official site and he virtually quoted me in an interview he did a few weeks later ?. He admits himself he has a tendency to sulk so maybe he letting his head drop in training, it's a pity Everton out of the Carabo Cup as that would have been a good run for him.

Think he has to start next match and I’m sure he will. Very little else Benitez can do to change things.

I think Ryan Astley is the same as Holgate he hasn't quite grown enough to be a CB. However he isn't mobile enough to be a RB. Welch looks that little but taller so may yet fill out. Anderson was only retained due to lack of LB cover in the u23. Kristiensen and Hagan were given contracts early and have not developed as expected so I think both will be released at the end of the season. Campbell is the interesting one for me. If the club see LB as his most likely position keep doing what they are. However of they think he's a CB he either needs to take Astley place in u23s or drop back down to the u18s. Either way he needs regular games in just best position. This is where Holgate and potentially Galloway and Browning have ended up struggling as they haven't had enough development time in their best position.

Difficult one Holgate, he's just not quite good enough, consistently, to be a first choice at centre back, he is able to play right across the back 4 so gives us cover in lots of positions and is on, by Everton standards, a moderate wage.

The conundrum is, do we think it is worth losing his versatility for the relatively low transfer fee he would fetch, or, do we say that, although he will never be an ideal first choice, he is a valuable squad member.

I don't think he has the fire. Not sure if people will agree, but he seems to think he's better than he actually is. He has the foundation but needs to work harder. The amount of times I see him switch off, pull out or just seem not fussed annoys me

I don't think he has the fire. Not sure if people will agree, but he seems to think he's better than he actually is. He has the foundation but needs to work harder. The amount of times I see him switch off, pull out or just seem not fussed annoys me
Yeah i see that with lots of 'poorer' players in prem. I think its just about having or in his case not having the level of mentality to cut it at the very top.
Tom i'd put in the same bracket, watch them for 90mins and the intensity isnt always there/they switch off, run around with smiles on their faces when they mess up etc.
But could very well have a great career in championship.
Being a footballers a tough business at the top end, huge pressure week in week out and some are cut out for it, others arent.
Im sure fans of most other clubs around our level will say the same about a number of their players.

He does give off the vibe of arrogance, think a lot of it a cover for lack of confidence, he obviously takes note of what's said about him as he stopped chewing the gum towards end of last season. He hates anyone saying he a Championship level player, he always jumps on that one in interviews ?

Difficult one Holgate, he's just not quite good enough, consistently, to be a first choice at centre back, he is able to play right across the back 4 so gives us cover in lots of positions and is on, by Everton standards, a moderate wage.

The conundrum is, do we think it is worth losing his versatility for the relatively low transfer fee he would fetch, or, do we say that, although he will never be an ideal first choice, he is a valuable squad member.
He on about 64 grand a week, that wage could cover two hungry, younger bought in players but its finding two, down to a good scouting system

He's exactly where John Stones was last summer. He clearly has potential but he's lost his confidence. He is now of an age where he needs to be playing regularly. A lot of his career path has been similar to Stones. He's obviously not as good but his career is similar. CBs peak from their mid 20s onwards he could still be a star. The next time he plays CB he needs to make sure he stats focused and doesn't let a slip cost him. The same goes for Godfrey. I doubt Godfrey and Holgate works as a partnership but having a good squad is more than having a good first 11.

Status
Not open for further replies.