2021/22 Mason Holgate

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's had a terrible calendar year. I hope this suspension will do him good and give him time to work out where he is. At the minute he is on the road out. However I can see there is in there he just needs to decide if he's that player. He will maybe get one more chance and he has to take it. Ideally it will be alongside Mina who is the best fit. He is ultimately a victim of being more versatile than others. He is not a RB or a DM but because of his skill set as opposed to Keane and Mina he is more likely to succeed in them positions.

He's had a terrible calendar year. I hope this suspension will do him good and give him time to work out where he is. At the minute he is on the road out. However I can see there is in there he just needs to decide if he's that player. He will maybe get one more chance and he has to take it. Ideally it will be alongside Mina who is the best fit. He is ultimately a victim of being more versatile than others. He is not a RB or a DM but because of his skill set as opposed to Keane and Mina he is more likely to succeed in them positions.

…I’ve always thought he’s one of those very ordinary players who is extremely fortunate to be playing top flight football in this era. Even when at his best I thought of him as a ‘bit-part’ because a dip was just around the corner.

I’m not sure of his contract situation but if we can’t move him on then we will just have to put up with him for the duration. I think of versatile players we’ve had in the past like Sandy Brown, Kevin Richardson and Alan Harper and Holgate is a million miles away from them in terms of ability and effectiveness.

…I’ve always thought he’s one of those very ordinary players who is extremely fortunate to be playing top flight football in this era. Even when at his best I thought of him as a ‘bit-part’ because a dip was just around the corner.

I’m not sure of his contract situation but if we can’t move him on then we will just have to put up with him for the duration. I think of versatile players we’ve had in the past like Sandy Brown, Kevin Richardson and Alan Harper and Holgate is a million miles away from them in terms of ability and effectiveness.

He's not even Phil Neville standard. However whenever he had a run at CB he has been OK. It's because he isn't a utility player that he gets messed up. The same thing happened to Jagielka when he first joined us he was shifted around the team and he looked awful. However Holgate isn't as good a CB as Jagielka hence he can't keep his place there either. Steve Watson was a good utility player he covered a lot of positions for us. Holgate was very lucky he had that run of form about 2 year ago as he got an excellent contract out of it. Whether that was his pinnacle only time will tell but he's in a rut here.

Still a weak link, ball watching for the goal and making his silly turns again in second half, need a big strong CH
Ball watching? He was covering the space at the front post like any other centre half would do. It’s Godfrey that was caught out not holgate. Give the lad a break!!! . Thought he did ok when he came on. Nothing was wrong with his performance.

I think he needs to be given a position and told, right this is yours. Either that or sacked off. Stick him at RB and say, 18 months. This is your position. You either take the chance, knuckle down and make a success of it, or find somehwhere new to play.
I know he isnt really a RB. But then neither is Coleman these days. Maybe he can become a competent one given a run of games.
Or even CB. Right lad, you are our starting CB. Make it work.
This in and out of the team malarky is doing him no favours. Either play him or sack him off. I just don't think sitting him on the bench and being in and out of the team, is good for him.

Said it before I'm happy for him to be a squad player, unfortunately with mine getting injured every week he's getting close to being a starter every week soon

Thought he did well when he came on last night personally. I did get confused though as I totally missed Mina going off and just assumed that Holgate was having a quiet game when I saw him. Kind of worrying as we have a few players who disappear like that so I just assumed!

Never going to work here for him. Brighton wanted him in the summer to replace Ben White and tbf that would be a good move for him as playing on the right of a back 3 is much better for him than playing in a pairing. Needs to be binned off

I think he needs to be given a position and told, right this is yours. Either that or sacked off. Stick him at RB and say, 18 months. This is your position. You either take the chance, knuckle down and make a success of it, or find somehwhere new to play.
I know he isnt really a RB. But then neither is Coleman these days. Maybe he can become a competent one given a run of games.
Or even CB. Right lad, you are our starting CB. Make it work.
This in and out of the team malarky is doing him no favours. Either play him or sack him off. I just don't think sitting him on the bench and being in and out of the team, is good for him.
He had a decent run of games at RB last season but he hardly ever got over the half way line, maybe Ancolloti instructions as if you watch all his West Brom performances where he played every game at RB he was up and down the wing all matches and if you count his throw ins he had about 5 assists. It's strange he hasn't been asked to cover Coleman this season or maybe the coaches have come to the conclusion that keep switching him about last season stagnated his career so they have agreed to only use him at CH hoping he gets the form he had a couple of seasons back.

Status
Not open for further replies.