Messymascot's faith in humanity and ginger safe haven

Not doubting you at all blue but a colleague of mine has just received an autism diagnosis and they themselves are stunned by it. I didn’t see any telltale signs myself and what I thought were character quirks are apparently manifestations of autism. To be honest, I thought they were just used to getting their own way unchallenged, right from childhood, but no they are autistic according to the experts.

They are now in a period of reflection to find out who they really are (their words). I don’t really understand that bit myself as they have navigated life for over 40 years already. Not meaning to make light of it either lest it come across as such.
I too don't want to make light of what is a terrible problem for those suffering but my son has been diagnosed as having ADHD then PTSD and now they want to try for Autism. I sometimes feel it is fashionable to have problems but I also realise they never had the ability to diagnose when I was younger or they might have diagnosed me with something .I am always trying to understand as it is way above my knowledge on these things .
I don't mean to offend anyone at all so may I compare it to asthma which is now diagnosed much more than it used to be despite the air quality being infinitely better than in my youth .

I too don't want to make light of what is a terrible problem for those suffering but my son has been diagnosed as having ADHD then PTSD and now they want to try for Autism. I sometimes feel it is fashionable to have problems but I also realise they never had the ability to diagnose when I was younger or they might have diagnosed me with something .I am always trying to understand as it is way above my knowledge on these things .
I don't mean to offend anyone at all so may I compare it to asthma which is now diagnosed much more than it used to be despite the air quality being infinitely better than in my youth .
I know exactly what you mean. The existence of the Autism Spectrum demonstrates that it is an umbrella term for a wide ranging condition. One day it will likely be much more defined than now but in the meantime it can be a perhaps inappropriate labelling for some.

Regarding PTSD, I am convinced thousands of people have it in NI but were never formally diagnosed as such. Even without medical intervention, people just find a way to manage it through family or community support.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back