Mick Buckley and the EFPF

Status
Not open for further replies.

atrottel

Player Valuation: £35m
Sad but maybe hopeful story about Mick Buckley (for those who remember him) and alcoholism in the Echo:

Mick Buckley was a celebrated Everton footballer who represented his country at youth level and once scored a winning goal against West Germany in the final of the ‘Little World Cup’.

That was in May 1972.

Fast forward 35 years and the glory had gone. Mick was a self-confessed alcoholic who had lost his job, his home and his marriage, who had spent time in the psychiatric unit of a hospital and has to walk around even now with a tag around his ankle to observe a police curfew.

Echo story

that really brought a tear to my eye. it just reminds me how frail our apparently secure lifstyles can be & anybody can slip.
it also made me feel very proud of efpf

that really brought a tear to my eye
Me too, most of the lads here will not have seen Mick play. A very busy midfielder with no little amount of skill always gave 100% and that endeared him to the crowd.Played in what was a pretty ordinary EFC team at the time and maybe he suffered from the fact that at the time we always compared all midfield players with the legend that was Alan Ball.

Top story - once again our great club fills you with pride. Really great to hear he's on the road to recovery as well - was one of my favourite players in his days with us, remember him well.

TD

Top story - once again our great club fills you with pride. Really great to hear he's on the road to recovery as well - was one of my favourite players in his days with us, remember him well.

TD

I second that TD, at least we were there to help him, remember Alan Kennedy left high and dry by the [Poor language removed].

This type of help has being given at Goodison for years. I remember Dixie working as a doorman for Littlewoods thanks to John Moores. Ralph had supped most of his money when at the Dublin Packet, he knew no bwetter being one of the lads from Birkenheads north end, Tommy Lawton was bailed out as well...............it is what makes us head and shoulders better than that mercenary bunch of toss bags over the park

I second that TD, at least we were there to help him, remember Alan Kennedy left high and dry by the [Poor language removed].

This type of help has being given at Goodison for years. I remember Dixie working as a doorman for Littlewoods thanks to John Moores. Ralph had supped most of his money when at the Dublin Packet, he knew no bwetter being one of the lads from Birkenheads north end, Tommy Lawton was bailed out as well...............it is what makes us head and shoulders better than that mercenary bunch of toss bags over the park
So true mate at the awards last year a old player was given a suit as he was down on his luck and from all accounts financial help. As for the r/s the treatment of Shankly speaks volumes as for Mick I remember him well a tidy player

Last edited:
our great club has had ambassadors from barca and milan over to investigate how we and only we look after our former players.

like so many firsts, we were the first to set up a foundation for former players, and it is an indication of the honesty and caring our club thrives on that such former peers pay us such due regard.

if you know your history
you'll know everton are the future

Cos there's no money left in the coffers after paying off the refs, the FA, UEFA - oh and a shedload of interest payments now.

JFT96? If they can't look after 200 odd ex players what chance their fans?

TD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back