Mikel Arteta (coach)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've got no one now with a bit of snide about them other than Mirallas who doesn't even get on the pitch. Plus Cahill and Fellaini were great for defending set pieces. Even when Cahill was blatantly finished he'd be a big help when the opposition had a corner.
We achieved our record points total in the aftermath. Since then its purely down to the manager not setting up the team properly and not the loss of 3 player, 2 of which were clearly finished while with us

Agreed. Fellaini did the job of two men when we played him in the Makalele position. Now we need Barry and Macca to do the same thing.

Cahill was our fire and brimstone, really miss that. Arteta had some lovely skills which Del & Ross have sometimes proved they can emulate.
lol

Felli was more miss than hit in the Dm role, we don't miss him there at all.

Cahill was finished a good 12-18 months before he left

We achieved our record points total in the aftermath. Since then its purely down to the manager not setting up the team properly and not the loss of 3 player, 2 of which were clearly finished while with us

Opposition teams sometimes need a season or so to work out the gameplan of surprise sides. Martinez didn't actually change much of his gameplan after his first season, it's the others who adapted.

It was harder for the opposition to adapt to Moyes-era sides because the setup with specific players was so tight. These specific players we no longer have so couldn't set up like that even if Martinez wanted to. And now we miss them.

A decent new manager would bring in such players again.

lol

Felli was more miss than hit in the Dm role, we don't miss him there at all.

He was world-class in that role. All our players were sometimes hit-n-miss, it's the nature of the game. Van Gaal missed a trick not putting him back there.

Cahill was finished a good 12-18 months before he left

It's his attitude that we miss, not his form in his final days.

'The deal had looked dead after talks between the two clubs broke down but it was revived soon after Arteta handed in his transfer request an hour before the deadline'
So,no thanks.

I know that most of the problem is Martinez not setting up the team properly but I think some of the problem is that he hasn't brought the right personnel in. McCarthy isn't half the player that Fellaini was for us and we haven't ever really replaced Cahill and Arteta.

I know that Barkley is a better footballer than Cahill but he lacks some things that Cahill excelled in which are important to the team like determination and the ability to help out defensively. This could probably be sorted out with a new manager though.

My gripe isn't necessarily with getting rid of Arteta. We got good money for a player that was past his best put we never replaced him, or Pienaar. Martinez hasn't ever really looked at getting a replacement but collects right wingers which is confusing to say the least.

Opposition teams sometimes need a season or so to work out the gameplan of surprise sides. Martinez didn't actually change much of his gameplan after his first season, it's the others who adapted.

It was harder for the opposition to adapt to Moyes-era sides because the setup with specific players was so tight. These specific players we no longer have so couldn't set up like that even if Martinez wanted to. And now we miss them.

A decent new manager would bring in such players again.

He was world-class in that role. All our players were sometimes hit-n-miss, it's the nature of the game. Van Gaal missed a trick not putting him back there.

It's his attitude that we miss, not his form in his final days.
Come on now mate. 'world class'? Behave.

His best position is behind the striker, and fair dues he can be unplayable there, but deeper for every good game he'd have 3 or 4 meh games. Poor passer, ill disciplined, slow and poor tackler. Badly overhyped there over the 1 game vs city

Come on now mate. 'world class'? Behave.

His best position is behind the striker, and fair dues he can be unplayable there, but deeper for every good game he'd have 3 or 4 meh games. Poor passer, ill disciplined, slow and poor tackler. Badly overhyped there over the 1 game vs city

Sure he had some poor games but it was a new position for him. He showed enough to have been given a run there, more than just the City games. Missed opportunity. His development's gone too far the other way now so wouldn't have him back, but we do need an imposing ballwinner in midfield.

I know that most of the problem is Martinez not setting up the team properly but I think some of the problem is that he hasn't brought the right personnel in. McCarthy isn't half the player that Fellaini was for us and we haven't ever really replaced Cahill and Arteta.

I know that Barkley is a better footballer than Cahill but he lacks some things that Cahill excelled in which are important to the team like determination and the ability to help out defensively. This could probably be sorted out with a new manager though.

My gripe isn't necessarily with getting rid of Arteta. We got good money for a player that was past his best put we never replaced him, or Pienaar. Martinez hasn't ever really looked at getting a replacement but collects right wingers which is confusing to say the least.
Barrys a far superior player to felli in that role.

Imo its not down to losing players or not replacing players, bobbys 1st year showed that, its the fact we're unfit and defensively unorganized now

Sure he had some poor games but it was a new position for him. He showed enough to have been given a run there, more than just the City games. Missed opportunity. His development's gone too far the other way now so wouldn't have him back, but we do need an imposing ballwinner in midfield.
Besic can do that, but he keeps playing the myth that is McCarthy instead

Besic can do that, but he keeps playing the myth that is McCarthy instead

I'd love Besic to do that, he played for the local youth side near where I live...really want him to do well. He hasn't shown anything approaching Fellaini-quality yet, hopefully he'll get a run next season (if he's good enough).

I thought there was a Charity for ex Everton players that may fall on hard times. No need to turn Goodison into some sort of care home for them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back