Mikel Arteta (coach)

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the things you are lamenting him for is what makes him a winner, and it's why he is seen as someone who would be a positive influence in the dressing room. Mary Poppins was a fine bastion of virtue, but I doubt she would have been any good at influencing footballers whose primary objective is to win football matches. This weird 'need' to be nice guys isn't going to take us anywhere and we will eventually end up like Villa if it continues.

Opposition teams sometimes need a season or so to work out the gameplan of surprise sides. Martinez didn't actually change much of his gameplan after his first season, it's the others who adapted.

It was harder for the opposition to adapt to Moyes-era sides because the setup with specific players was so tight. These specific players we no longer have so couldn't set up like that even if Martinez wanted to. And now we miss them.

A decent new manager would bring in such players again.

He was world-class in that role. All our players were sometimes hit-n-miss, it's the nature of the game. Van Gaal missed a trick not putting him back there.

It's his attitude that we miss, not his form in his final days.

Both Fellaini and Cahill - plus Jelavic as well, attacked the ball in our box, we all seem to be marking either space or nobody which seems the same thing but actually isn't

we would have to right off most of the McCathy fee and I wouldn't pay more than 10M for fellaini but he would be a good replacement for Barry

as long as we steel ourselves not to take the easy option of throwing him up front at every opportunity.

not gong to happen though, probably for the best.

He was world-class in that role. All our players were sometimes hit-n-miss, it's the nature of the game. Van Gaal missed a trick not putting him back there.

I'm a huge fan of Fellaini in that role - I think he could have been amazing there but always needed a good partner alongside him. I remember thinking that him and Moutinho would have won us everything lol

On topic I don't have anything against Arteta really, at the time we weren't in the best shape financially and he had ambitions for Champions League football that we couldn't offer. On top of that he's also won two FA Cups which isn't bad going. If he's going to be a good coach I'd say he'd be welcome.

I'm not a fan of Fellaini in the CM role but I'd love to have him back at Everton. Sometimes you need to put a big man upfront, and we don't currently have anyone who scores with their head from crosses into the box. Interchanging Barkley and Fellaini between CM and second striker depending on the opposition or the way a game is going would give us an advantage.

I'd love to have him back. Reckon we could get him for 20 million.

I'm a huge fan of Fellaini in that role - I think he could have been amazing there but always needed a good partner alongside him. I remember thinking that him and Moutinho would have won us everything lol

Huge improvement on McCrabthy and Snivelley that's for sure

I'm not a fan of Fellaini in the CM role but I'd love to have him back at Everton. Sometimes you need to put a big man upfront, and we don't currently have anyone who scores with their head from crosses into the box. Interchanging Barkley and Fellaini between CM and second striker depending on the opposition or the way a game is going would give us an advantage.

I'd love to have him back. Reckon we could get him for 20 million.
Id fume if we wasted 20 mil on him

Id fume if we wasted 20 mil on him

I think he would be a valuable asset that would help us win football games, and don't think it would be a waste at all. He wasn't a waste when we signed him for 15 million seven years ago, getting him for 20 million now would be a steal imo.

I think he would be a valuable asset that would help us win football games, and don't think it would be a waste at all. He wasn't a waste when we signed him for 15 million seven years ago, getting him for 20 million now would be a steal imo.
We over paid when we bought him likewise utd then over paid buying him. We'd never see the 20 mil back plus he must be on upwards off 100k week now.

I think he would be a valuable asset that would help us win football games, and don't think it would be a waste at all. He wasn't a waste when we signed him for 15 million seven years ago, getting him for 20 million now would be a steal imo.[/QUOTE
Totally agree he would be a great asset going forward and in our own box, something we have missed the last two seasons, a plan B.

Great player and a improvement in what we have

We over paid when we bought him likewise utd then over paid buying him. We'd never see the 20 mil back plus he must be on upwards off 100k week now.

I think his wages were reported as about 90k a week at the time of his transfer to United. That's how much good players cost these days. I agree that with him turning 29 this year we may not get 20 million back for him, but we would get a good few years of quality out of him, and like the poster above mentions a plan b, an option to change the way we are playing to suit the game in front of us.

I don't see that as a waste, I see spunking 14 million on a 26 year old Niasse as a waste.

I think his wages were reported as about 90k a week at the time of his transfer to United. That's how much good players cost these days. I agree that with him turning 29 this year we may not get 20 million back for him, but we would get a good few years of quality out of him, and like the poster above mentions a plan b, an option to change the way we are playing to suit the game in front of us.

I don't see that as a waste, I see spunking 14 million on a 26 year old Niasse as a waste.
Imo hes not worth 90k week.

If we're wedged up now rather see us go out and buy better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back