Mjeld writes off brann hopes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharpys top lip

Player Valuation: £60m
This has just come off skysports news......

SK Brann coach Mons Ivar Mjelde has written off his side's hopes of progressing in the Uefa Cup at the expense of Everton.

The Norwegians took on the Premier League high-flyers last Wednesday and suffered a 2-0 home defeat after goals from Leon Osman and Victor Anichebe.

With the prospect of scoring at least twice at Goodison Park too difficult for Mjelde to believe in, he is hoping for a miracle to keep their European hopes alive.

"We need a miracle of a lifetime," he told fvn.no. "To believe in qualifying is pointless.

"We'll start at 0-0 and try to get the best possible result. If we start with the hope that we can make it, it might end very badly.

"You don't learn a lot by losing 5-0 at Goodison Park. The goal is to play well there."

Despite being defeated in the first leg at Brann Stadion, Mjelde does not believe his troops were over-run by David Moyes' side.

"We were not outplayed at all. During some periods, we put them under pressure at times and the goals come after marginal events," he continued.

"Against Hamburg, we were outplayed at times and felt that we were chanceless.

"Against Everton we coped until little while into the second half. Result-wise we deserved better."

Well i tend to agree with the guy. Fancy us 2/3-0

Maybe hes trying to play mind games? I dont see why any manager would ever say something like that publicly

Last edited:
Another great informative post for discussion Sharpy.

Although I agree, I am very surprised he has written off his teams chances - if Moyes was in his position i'd want him to say something along the lines of "If we score early then its game on"

I wouldn't want to travel to Norway if the shoe was on the other foot and we we're 2 down with the Gaffer saying this.

trying to lull us into complacency, or trying to spur his players on by taking all pressure off them.

or both.

and i had to check twice it wasnt mjelt.

A transparent and very poor attempt at reverse psychology, he'll be correct by half time though when the tie is well and truly dead and buried .

Defo trying too make are players relax, as long as they dont score early on we will be ok. Would like too see us pass it round a lot and keep the ball as much as possible and grab a few goals while were at it coyb (y)

Glad to see him showing some reality of the situation, he knows there only real chance has gone at home.
It would take the game of there lifes and for us to play like we havent done all season (I.E total [Poor language removed]) for them to even have a slight chance.
Can see us racking up a few goals to be honest

What he tells the press and what he tells his team are completely different, don't believe a word of it(n)

They need an early goal to make a go of it, but I think we will hit them with an early goal to really kill the tie. We are going for 7 euro wins (6 wins in a row for Moyes was an Everton manager record) in a row this week!

its true! We've given up... you might aswell put on all yer reserves and 16 year old players... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back