Most talented player we've had in the PL era?

Most talented player we've had in the PL era?

• Total voters
He was world class pre-premier league but his peak had passed by the time the EPL started.

He was still a world class keeper, just not as good as he once was. His form dipped in the first season in the PL, then he had a good season and a half under Royle.

There wasn't many keepers in the PL in 96 that you would have swapped him for.

To me, talent isnt the same as longevity for example. Compare Delboy with Coleman and Delboy wins the talent battle 10 out of 10 times, even if i think Coleman(best Coleman vs best Delboy)is/was the better allround player. So the likes of Ferguson doesnt belong on a talent list imo. Players like Rodriguez, Baines, Delboy and Rooney does.

James Rodriguez. Rooney a close second, Rooney had loads of natural talent but was more of a street footballer and a lot of his game was based around hard work. James as a natural footballer was another level entirely, but he had about 2% of the work ethic and determination that Rooney had.

Baines was brilliant, no question about it, but he wasn't even the best English left back at the time.
Yes but the best English left back was also the best in the world at the time so that's hardly a counter arguments. Baines was a better footballer than Ashley Cole but Cole was obviously a superior defender.

0F3707F7-598D-4E27-A86B-14C6B2978DEF.webp

Agree with the Hibbert shout, and I'm more gutted that we never got to see him score a goal in the PL!

That one goal in his own testimonial match doesn't count... It wasn't a real riot. More like a Quiet Riot. 🤷‍♂️

But seriously... Definitely Rooney by a mile. He's the only Everton player who could laugh and get turned on at the same time when watching the 'The Golden Girls'.
Who wouldn’t like to spend Nine And A Half Weeks with Blanche?

At their career peak XI
Southall
Baines Stones Coleman
Gascoigne James
Beardsley Rooney Kanchelskis
Eto'o Lukaku

Fullbacks are controversial but I can't immediately think of any better.

May be a bit light defensively but they'd be a good watch
Ginola has his boots in car

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back