Moyes on the ANC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here I don't agree with DM. Living in and next to countries which shut down like this, I think that an essential part of UK football would be lost by having a winter break.

If you like that's a conservative (me?!) throwback idea, but I still hold to the view that real football, as played in the UK, also includes muddy, snowy or stonehard pitches where the wind and rain are driving, as well as a league which is a slog to the finish with no let-up for the victor.

It may be all well and good watching delicate flowers like Ronaldo strutting their stuff in the sunshine of September, but our league also involves going to a bumpy Wigan pitch on a foul Saturday and dealing with elbows from Michael Brown in the pouring rain. And all the better for it.

Looking at the countries which do have a break, it also splits it more into two separate seasons, rather than halves of one season. Teams are able to go abroad on training camps trying to bed new signings or tactics in, as well as playing friendlies.

Here I don't agree with DM. Living in and next to countries which shut down like this, I think that an essential part of UK football would be lost by having a winter break.

If you like that's a conservative (me?!) throwback idea, but I still hold to the view that real football, as played in the UK, also includes muddy, snowy or stonehard pitches where the wind and rain are driving, as well as a league which is a slog to the finish with no let-up for the victor.

It may be all well and good watching delicate flowers like Ronaldo strutting their stuff in the sunshine of September, but our league also involves going to a bumpy Wigan pitch on a foul Saturday and dealing with elbows from Michael Brown in the pouring rain. And all the better for it.

Looking at the countries which do have a break, it also splits it more into two separate seasons, rather than halves of one season. Teams are able to go abroad on training camps trying to bed new signings or tactics in, as well as playing friendlies.

On paper it is a good idea but it will never happen, the big three and the [Poor language removed] would be against it from the off because of the size of their squads

I agree with Attrotel, the whole image of English football would be lost without those dark winter games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back