Muhamed Besic

Status
Not open for further replies.
No he was a defensive liability at RB. Hibbo was the right sub. Some might say he should have started, but no way would Tony be ready for 90 minutes.
With all due respect hibbo has been a defensive liability since 2008. That's 8 years ago. If we are relying on hibbo as cover we are a championship side. Never doubted his commitment and his ability to defend 1 v 1 (if in position)but anything else.....

.......it's not hindsight to say that RB was a key position v Man Utd. A number of folk on here pointed out pre-match that Martial attacks from that space and we needed somebody in there who could mitigate that threat. The decision to play Besic backfired because he simply couldn't live with Martial's pace and power. Martial's contribution was the key to winning the match, the decision to play Besic at RB was clearly wrong.

.......it's not hindsight to say that RB was a key position v Man Utd. A number of folk on here pointed out pre-match that Martial attacks from that space and we needed somebody in there who could mitigate that threat. The decision to play Besic backfired because he simply couldn't live with Martial's pace and power. Martial's contribution was the key to winning the match, the decision to play Besic at RB was clearly wrong.

Surely nobody is suggesting Tony should have started at Wembley? After his complete annihilation there by Malouda and Drogba and after not playing a competitive game for years? The Manager would have got absolutely slated if he'd have started Tony.
He was great on Saturday....but at Goodison v Bournemouth is a different kettle of fish than a Semi at Wembley up against Martial.
It's just another stick to beat the manager. Simple fact is we didn't have a fit right back....he put in somebody who he felt was fit enough to make it a match.

Not necessarily. Who do you think would've done better?

Almost anybody. Whatever else he is, Besic is definitely not a right back. This was obvious from his embarrassing display at Wembley.
Only a manager as inept as Martinez would repeat the experiment in the next game expecting it to work.

Not necessarily. Who do you think would've done better?

....I appreciate it was a difficult decision but managers and coaches are paid lots to get those right. I'm a Besic fan but he didn't have the physicality or pace to counter Martial in any way, it was a very one sided confrontation. I'm not one for square pegs in round holes but if we were looking to put a midfielder in there I would've gone for Cleverley as somebody who might be able to live with Martial better.

Cleverley might not have been able to cope either but all I'm saying is it was highlighted as a key area before the game and it turned out to be the case.

....I appreciate it was a difficult decision but managers and coaches are paid lots to get those right. I'm a Besic fan but he didn't have the physicality or pace to counter Martial in any way, it was a very one sided confrontation. I'm not one for square pegs in round holes but if we were looking to put a midfielder in there I would've gone for Cleverley as somebody who might be able to live with Martial better.

Cleverley might not have been able to cope either but all I'm saying is it was highlighted as a key area before the game and it turned out to be the case.
Once he had decided not to give Pennington a go there (who had played well vs Barnsley near start of season) I think it had to be a midfielder because Hibbo had no chance of coping. There was a chance Besic would pull it off, he has a good record of man marking and can tackle. My point would be that still being in the game at 70-75 mins it would have been worth a gamble to take gibson off as he was tiring, put Besic CM and hope he would repeat his Man City home leg performance of pushing us right up the pitch and hope that Pennington as young natural defender would keep Martial out for 20 mins. It would have been rare to keep Martial completely out of the danger zone for 90 mins but Besic did not really get close enough to him to shake him up a bit. Much like the whole team in the first half. We had so many chances to go ahead though. That was the bigger reason in my eyes, fluffing those. Not anti Cleverly but I see nothing in his defensive game to think he would have been dramatically better than Besic. Ifs buts maybes!!! We will be back next season!!!!

RB was another spot that RM had not given attention to. Who is the RB in the under 21s - any good? Why was he not tried instead of playing Besic out of position?

I think he is a ok squad player. Don't think he is as good as some people made out. Been here for a fair amount of time and it does not seem he would be a starter at this point.

I think he is a ok squad player. Don't think he is as good as some people made out. Been here for a fair amount of time and it does not seem he would be a starter at this point.

But thats down to the manager and his favourites.

Not to belittle McCarthy, who I consider an amazing talent, but 95% of managers would select Besic before McCarthy and Cleverley.

Lets see what happens when a new fella comes in with different ideas, im sure if hes given a run in the side he could easily nail down a place.

But thats down to the manager and his favourites.

Not to belittle McCarthy, who I consider an amazing talent, but 95% of managers would select Besic before McCarthy and Cleverley.

Lets see what happens when a new fella comes in with different ideas, im sure if hes given a run in the side he could easily nail down a place.
I hope you are right, Mr Goat, although most people on here seem to like his tattoos, haircut and perceived "hardman" attitude rather than any specific footballing ability.

Once he had decided not to give Pennington a go there (who had played well vs Barnsley near start of season) I think it had to be a midfielder because Hibbo had no chance of coping. There was a chance Besic would pull it off, he has a good record of man marking and can tackle. My point would be that still being in the game at 70-75 mins it would have been worth a gamble to take gibson off as he was tiring, put Besic CM and hope he would repeat his Man City home leg performance of pushing us right up the pitch and hope that Pennington as young natural defender would keep Martial out for 20 mins. It would have been rare to keep Martial completely out of the danger zone for 90 mins but Besic did not really get close enough to him to shake him up a bit. Much like the whole team in the first half. We had so many chances to go ahead though. That was the bigger reason in my eyes, fluffing those. Not anti Cleverly but I see nothing in his defensive game to think he would have been dramatically better than Besic. Ifs buts maybes!!! We will be back next season!!!!
Instead of Besic, I think McCarthy might have been the better option there. He's slotted in there a few times.

Think besic has a few intresting similarities to jags. Maybe the pl is too much but the best defending if have seen in a real life match was that little 2006 Italian captain who I cba to spell his name wrong. I get why some fans don't like crazy ideas like baines in midfield or maybe a different approach.to some players like barkley and besic but I would prefer some clever.shortcuts/solutions in getting the best out of players' in the shake up rather than nuking the team and start all over again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back