Neill to Galatasaray?

• Thread starter Thread starter best little spaniard
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not having a problem with Neill being shipped out, as he'd never be a first choice at Everton, whatever position we're talking. Do have a problem with the timing of the transfer though. Moyes was talking about adding 3-4 players in the transfer window, but suddenly we're down one player. Seeing our injury list and the ACON that's taking place atm, I sincerely hope this decision doesn't come back to hunt us.

They signed him for 18 months!!! Are we that confident about the injuries & new signings that he wasn't worth extending for another year???:blink:

Neville - available
Duffy - available
Distin - supposed to be back this weekend
Hibbert - supposed to be back this weekend
Yobo - misses a minimum of one game and a maximum of three
Jagielka - back in training and scheduled for return end of month

Neville - available
Duffy - available

Neville - available
Against Citeh...Oh brilliant.
Duffy - available
Wont happen
Cant see that or him being 100% fit.
Yippie!

Again, 1 fit centre half.

Neville - available
Duffy - available

Neil pass the ball better than anyone in that list.

Neil pass the ball better than anyone in that list.
Possibly, but I would debate whether he was a better defender. (And I saw him lose the ball and other defenders as much as Hibbert and Neville get slated for when they do.)

He was squad back-up and, for the sake of one match, we had an option of a decent sell-on. His place against City (versus someone else in his place) worth whatever the price turned out to be?

So we have players with arguably the same defensive woes as replacement and at the same time lose a very important attacking edge from the back as well? Weaken our team really.

Untill he actually leaves, then he's still an Everton player.
Even if he does leave, he was only an afterthought by Moyes and kind of a late surprise to us all, so it's not like we're losing a vital component.
At least it's not Fellaini or Pienaar ec.

This is all about Coleman and other young players for me - Neill isnt needed with their emergence.

Who can honestly say that Neill is the answer at centre half, his performences while steady have not been what i would hope for in a centre half going into the long term lets face it - he was a stop gap there. He did a job there - nothing spectacuolr - similar to what Hibbert and Neville have done in previous seasons, hes no significant loss. The best individual centre half performence i have seen this season has been from Duffy - he and Coleman need room and space to develop with out a journey man/money orientated player in front of them.

I also have no dobht a centre half will be brought in this month.

Last edited:
Neil is not spectaculor, but the rest of what we have is even less so.
If you don't appreciate ball playing CB you will never appreciate Neil. Our tactic thrive on keeping the ball on the deck, if we lose Neil we will probably lose certain amount or minutes of possesion. On top of that we will be giving opponent more chance to regroup and attack because of our hoofing.

I don't know why some people are having a dig at Neill, if he's to be believed then it seems to have been presented to him rather as a fait accompli :
Everton defender Lucas Neill has revealed he is close to signing for Galatasaray.
The Turkish club have claimed they have completed an 18-month deal for the 31-year-old Australia international, who only joined the Toffees last September.
That may have been premature but Neill admits he is likely to be a Galatasaray player before next week.
"I think I'll be joining up and I'm looking forward to joining my new team-mates on Sunday," Neill told Sky Sports News.
"I'm now delighted I'll be joining a massive European club with great ambitions for the season.
"It'll be a wonderful new challenge for me. I'm absolutely delighted a club like Galatasaray will be my next team."

Neill, who has made 12 league and two cup appearances for David Moyes' side, admits the move has come as a surprise.
"I was very shocked," added Neill. "I didn't instigate any kind of move from Everton but once I found out the two clubs were in negotiations it became clear I had to look after myself and my family."
Neill was keen to stress he was leaving Everton on good terms.
"I've loved it from the moment I got there. The club have been so welcoming and the guys in the changing room have been amazing," noted Neill.
"To everybody at Everton, I'll thank every single one of them. My time there has been magnificent and I'll wish them the very best for the season.
"There is no ill feeling whatsoever and let's hope Everton have a fantastic second half of the season."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back