Neville Southall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best player I've even seen for Everton, and he was a goalie.
Same here. Best goalkeeper there has ever been, ever, in the history of life since the Big Bang. Peter Schmeichel and Oliver Kahn, and perhaps Buffon came close, but Nev was still the best by a hundred miles. Sir Alex Ferguson actually signed the Dane because Neville put him off and wanted to stay at Everton too.

How on earth can we ever even hope to get someone as good as even just his little finger? Oh and I read his book last week, it's great, well worth a read. He looks like my dad on the cover too, when I was younger. My dad was a non league goalie the same age as Nev, and he absolutely loved him.

Same here. Best goalkeeper there has ever been, ever, in the history of life since the Big Bang. Peter Schmeichel and Oliver Kahn, and perhaps Buffon came close, but Nev was still the best by a hundred miles. Sir Alex Ferguson actually signed the Dane because Neville put him off and wanted to stay at Everton too.

How on earth can we ever even hope to get someone as good as even just his little finger? Oh and I read his book last week, it's great, well worth a read. He looks like my dad on the cover too, when I was younger. My dad was a non league goalie the same age as Nev, and he absolutely loved him.

Didnt know that. Brill though.

It takes some doing to remove my Martyn-love-in attitude re GK's, but Big Nev manages it. We were very blessed unearthing a gem like him. In todays mad money transfers, we'd never get the pennies together to afford him.

To be fair to modern day keepers for a moment too, Southall never had to try to save a floating volleyball that we call a football these days. Christ they move around.

To be fair to modern day keepers for a moment too, Southall never had to try to save a floating volleyball that we call a football these days. Christ they move around.
Yes very true, old balls like heavy xmas puddings
I like de Gea think heas amazing given his age , courtois ditto
Nev is the king though in any era

After the GOT question on Facebook and the front page news, I rooted this out on YouTube.

I may be biased, but in terms of positioning and reflexes, has there ever been a better goalkeeper?

He is an actual living football legend.

Simply NO!

I was at that Coventry game where he saved kilclines penalty and he made 5 or 6 world class saves that day,the best goalkeeping display I've ever seen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back