Neville Targets 6th Spot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cal

Player Valuation: £40m
Phil Neville is desperate for Everton to remain in the top six as they face up to a difficult-looking run-in.

The Toffees' point at Sheffield United on Saturday saw them climb above Reading and into sixth place in the league.

But with games against Arsenal, Manchester United and Chelsea still to come, the captain knows maintaining Everton's position will be no easy task.

Neville told evertonTV: "It will take a monumental effort to stay in sixth but we have a couple of weeks to get our legs back and we will be firing on all cylinders when we face Arsenal.

"If you cast your minds back two weeks when we were booed off against Tottenham the players and the management kept calm and now we are sixth in the league.

"We have got a tremendous end to the season. The next game is against Arsenal which is a highlight to any calendar and we need the fans behind us. If we have a rip-roaring end to the season it could be one of our most successful in the Premiership."

Reflecting on the 1-1 draw at Brammall Lane, Neville insists the result can be viewed in a positive light.

"The pleasing thing was that we didn't play as well as we have done but we have taken a point at a difficult place where the supporters get behind them and they put plenty of balls into the box.

"But we got back into it and I think if anybody was going to get a winner it would have been us because we were building up a head of steam."

The England man added that the incident that lead to Mikel Arteta's equalising penalty was clearcut.

"It was a penalty. Plain and simple," he declared. "I don't know what the moaning was about and I don't know why the crowd was booing because when a lad is quick and talented he is going to get fouls against him and that is what happened.

"It has been happening all season and people have complained all season but we have told him to keep going because he is our match winner."

So under-rated at us imo, Hes a top captain!

He's a player that's certainly made the most of the talents he's got, which is all you can ask of any player. He's been a super signing by Moyes for his leadership and versatility.

He's put in a few fantastic crosses this season, a rarity from a right back at Everton!!!

Wouldn't argue with his crossing ability but he does have an unfortunate habit of cocking up short passess, just watch him, that why I said short game.:)

I think he is still learning on his feet. His main asset is field and locker room leadership. Doesn't mind to get stuck in. But seems to rush his medium to short passes which usually tends to go astray. What games I have caught him lately he seems to be getting the hang of it though. Can only get better with consistent games under his belt. See a big improvement from him next term.(y)

I think he is still learning on his feet. His main asset is field and locker room leadership. Doesn't mind to get stuck in. But seems to rush his medium to short passes which usually tends to go astray. What games I have caught him lately he seems to be getting the hang of it though. Can only get better with consistent games under his belt. See a big improvement from him next term.(y)

I think we are more or less seeing the finished article with Nev Mike, as Bruce said earlier a player who certainly made the best out of his atributes, does exactly what it says on the label and to a consistent level. I wouldnt expect much development in his game between now and retiremnt compared to the likes of Ossie, Arteta, lescott, Yobo, Vic, Vaghan. But hey heres hoping!

Great to have him in the dressing room, just imagine someone saying:

"think you may be wrong there phil"

Phil: "Oh Yeah how many premeirship medals do have" + "how many european cups have you won" + "see my medals there over there by my england caps"

Who says you cant buy expeirence/leadership/consistency on/of the field has to be said hes a great example for a young squad trying to be built!

Last edited:

Neville aint there for his passing though, hes a player who likes to get stuck in and thats what we need.

1) Phil Neville is NOT a good player.
2) Phil neville should NOT be our captain
3) We always get fed this drivel, so let your football do the talking Neville, what little you can play of it, anyway.

1) Phil Neville is NOT a good player.
2) Phil neville should NOT be our captain
3) We always get fed this drivel, so let your football do the talking Neville, what little you can play of it, anyway.

1. A top class manager like Sir Alex wouldnt keep him there if he wasnt a good player

2. Who else then?, Who else trys to motivate the team? Hes a leader, face it.

Now prove me wrong please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back