New DOF

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it’s bananas myself mate, terrifies me.

If he hadn’t of came through and played at Everton, say he came through at Arsenal. Would we be going to Derby to employ their manager based on their managerial competency - no way - because it’s bananas.

The rest of the club is a basket case agreed, but I think Rooney just adds to it.
2 seperate runs of 1 win in 15 last season.

2. seperate. runs.

Let that sink in.

I don't know anything about Ashworth, apart from it being a mental health hospital in north Liverpool, so forgive me if I jump on the bandwagon. But this sounds like what we need. The club needs to reset itself. But for heaven's sake
who ever it is let them get on with the job properly. And don't go back for Martinez.

It's the potential of Brighton, though. Most can see how they are progressing under Potter and Ashworth and how they would be much better of with a top slotter.

The problem I have is that you get these clubs all the time that pop up for a few years then drop.

Southampton were the best thing since sliced bread hence why we poached Koeman.

Leicester won the title so we poached the mastermind behind Vardy, Kante & Mahrez.

I just think Brighton are currently the hipsters choice without them actually pulling up any trees.

Just because they are doing a decent job for a club of Brightons level doesn't mean that'll translate to the expectations of a club like Everton i.e european football.

I think it’s bananas myself mate, terrifies me.

If he hadn’t of came through and played at Everton, say he came through at Arsenal. Would we be going to Derby to employ their manager based on their managerial competency - no way - because it’s bananas.

The rest of the club is a basket case agreed, but I think Rooney just adds to it.
I do realise the Everton connection definitely works in his favor. Not sure that's a bad thing though. I love Ferguson and wish him well, but Rooney has certainly taken the much more risky road to make a name for himself as a manager.

But as I said before in this thread, as long as Moshiri keeps interfering with the footballing part and undermining the DOF's and managers, it simply doesn't matter who we appoint, they all will be destined to fail.

For all the tuggery over Brighton - they finished 16th last season and are currently 9th.

At least when we chased the likes of Walsh and Koeman they were at title winning Leicester & Europe playing 5th placed Southampton.

Context is important here.

Do you know what Brighton's budget is? It's approx the 15th biggest in the league.

Have you seen how clever their recruitment strategy is? And I don't just mean the few players you've seen in their first team. They have more players out on loan than any team other than City or Chelsea - they buy lots of players you've never heard of then try to develop them.

Walsh was credited as being responsible for identifying Mahrez, Vardy and Kante but he'd never been a director of football before. Koeman inherited a v healthy Southampton setup from Pochettino. Sometimes we can get too fixated on the end result rather than asking how it came about.

Context is important here.

Do you know what Brighton's budget is? It's approx the 15th biggest in the league.

Have you seen how clever their recruitment strategy is? And I don't just mean the few players you've seen in their first team. They have more players out on loan than any team other than City or Chelsea - they buy lots of players you've never heard of then try to develop them.

Walsh was credited as being responsible for identifying Mahrez, Vardy and Kante but he'd never been a director of football before. Koeman inherited a v healthy Southampton setup from Pochettino. Sometimes we can get too fixated on the end result rather than asking how it came about.

Im not doubting their DOF seems decent - but we've seen clubs like Brighton (Swansea, Southampton) have a few decent seasons, sign a few good players then drop like a stone when it dries up.

I wouldn't mind the fella at Everton but the stone cold reality is the likes of Kev The Rat wouldn't stand a 16th placed finish at Everton - Potter and Ashworth would be utter bums in his world and there would be no 2nd season or 2nd chances in his mind and thats the problem.

You have to bring in people capable of reaching the expectation levels of Everton not Brighton.

Difficult to do as our expectations are high - Spurs are doing that now with Conte.

I do realise the Everton connection definitely works in his favor. Not sure that's a bad thing though. I love Ferguson and wish him well, but Rooney has certainly taken the much more risky road to make a name for himself as a manager.

But as I said before in this thread, as long as Moshiri keeps interfering with the footballing part and undermining the DOF's and managers, it simply doesn't matter who we appoint, they all will be destined to fail.

I think it’s a bad thing mate. Two separate things being a competent player and being a competent manager. He hasn’t shown anything in my opinion on his managerial competency to be given the important task of keeping us up, at a club this size, in fact risks all over the show. Even in the Championship there are more progressive managers with more expierence enjoying better relative success - it’s just because it’s Wayne Rooney - the player.

My concern is he’s a big name Moshiri will love that, while Bill never got over selling him - likely twice. We are so broken at the moment, I wouldn’t put this appointment past them. I think it’s madness if it came to pass.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.