New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The difference is Conte's entire career thus far has been taking teams up to greatness.

So was Ancelotti's, but the first CL team that comes calling he's off. That's my point, we need stability, someone who can do three or four years and make us European regulars, Nuno has done that twice with unfancied Wolves. How we all know Conte is a great manager, but will be stay longer than Ancelotti ? I doubt it and then we will be in exactly the same position were in now.

Conte great manager though he is, would be much the same as Ancelotti, another short term, quick fix, that drops his drawers, when the first CL team come calling. Don't you think we need some stability after five managers, five years of mayhem ? Never going to happen is it.
Why do you think we need stability of managers? We need stability in the director of football, and we need good players. Chelsea change their manager every 18 months and keep winning trophies and qualifying for the Champions League. We need ambitious managers who've won trophies, not 5 more years of mid-table mediocrity.

For me it is, that showed how far we had sunk in a matter of a few years. I read a lot of people with delusions of grandeur saying I won't accept this person or that, at the end of the day the manager of this club is like the sands of time. Allardyce proves that. We should get behind anyone who gets the job else we give the players excuses to not try if the manager is set up to be the fall guy straight from the off.

All we need is one of these managers to get us in Europe season after season and get us competing at the sharp end. I don't really want either, but if that's NES or Benitez I don't give a flying. Get us to a stage where we can then attract the top managers and the job is done.
This.

I’d take Benitez because he has the experience to get us there, knows how to win trophy’s and is at a stage where he will not do a bunk.

Understand where you are coming from. If he got the job I'd personally give him the chance. He has a good cv. But two things, I'd rather someone who has the hunger to do well and not just get their final pay cheque.

Secondly, I know our fan base at large won't have the patience. They'll turn on him the first opportunity they get and if the board don't realise this they shouldn't own a football club.

Apart from Conte, I think this happens regardless.

So was Ancelotti's, but the first CL team that comes calling he's off. That's my point, we need stability, someone who can do three or four years and make us European regulars, Nuno has done that twice with unfancied Wolves. How we all know Conte is a great manager, but will be stay longer than Ancelotti ? I doubt it and then we will be in exactly the same position were in now.
No we'll be further forward. Ancelotti brought Allen, Doucoure and Rodriguez in. If Conte brings another 3 or 4 like that and then leaves we'll be further forward again. Then the next manager, hopefully at a similar level brings another 3 or 4 in we'll be competing for Champions League and the next manager will want to stay

No Carlo's was not. Maybe you can argue Milan was, but the Chelsea side he took over was a year removed from a CL final, Bayern is Bayern and Real Madrid was a recent title winner with a top 5 player all time at his apex in the team. Conte's rebuilding of Inter and Juve far exceeds any of that.

Nuno got Europe once with Wolves and his style of play will not be doing better than 6th or so. It's stability but is stable mediocrity good enough? For me the pick needs to have more upside if we're taking that approach.

I think there are guys I'd take over Conte but it just isn't Nuno.

Why do you think we need stability of managers? We need stability in the director of football, and we need good players. Chelsea change their manager every 18 months and keep winning trophies and qualifying for the Champions League. We need ambitious managers who've won trophies, not 5 more years of mid-table mediocrity.

Yes and Chelsea have an incredible base to do that, Chelsea regularly win trophies and are regular CL participants, you can not even compare Chelsea to us, we are nowhere near them. So yes we need stability to be able to challenge for trophies and European football. We already have about five different managers players in. I would love Conte in, but not if he'll be gone in 12 to 18 months time.

Conte gives us two full seasons and we're in way better shape than anything Nuno can do
This is precisely it. People claiming "Conte will only leave us after 18 months" seem to be labouring under the notion that:

1. Everton wouldn't sack a manager who has underperformed after 18 months
2. Any manager who "we could keep" is clearly not good enough to interest the clubs we are trying to join at the top table, so why would he be good enough for us and why would we want to keep him?

If a manager hasn't improved us after two full seasons, he is not going to. The game has changed. The average tenure is 18 months. The key is not to "keep the manager", it is to have the financial means to get rid of him if required or replace a poached manager with somebody of similar ilk. In that sense, lose Carlo, get Conte makes perfect sense. Lose Carlo, get Nuno means we had no real plan for Carlo other than bragging about getting a kiss from the loveliest girl on the dancefloor.

Status
Not open for further replies.