New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
…it’s a very good point, Mikey. I was thinking similar. I think it’s very important he answers the inevitable question full on & doesn’t try & fudge it. He knew what he said, he said Everton was a small club. It insults intelligence to say he meant small team.

Despite some on here sadly agreeing with Benitez’s ‘small club’ descriptor, I guarantee we are not seen within the game as a small club.

Benitez needs to accept the clubs history & standing in the game, including our status as one of its founding members. He needs to say his original comments were wrong & were down to rivalry & him playing mind games.

Absolutely

I actually don't think he ever thought we were an actual small club

He said it because he wanted to curry favour with his fan base, which I actually think is perfectly reasonable

However, if he wants the job here then he has to realise that those comments need walking back and an apology is required

Again, Clough stuck by all his anti-Leeds stuff when he went there and it doomed him from day one, and he was a much better manager than Benitez is. If he couldn't bluster his way through it then Benitez doesn't have a chance

Just apologise. Get it out of the way and we can move on. A lot of supporters (myself included) will accept it and give him a chance

the fans in the ground for sure seem to have a more sheeple mentality. A few start happy clapping and everyone joins in, a few start BOOing and before you know it we are looking for Eddie Howe by Christmas...

There's one thing everyone agrees on - if Benitez gets off to a really poor start, it's very, very hard to envisage him getting beyond Christmas.

With how toxic this job is for him, I'm actually beginning to wonder if he's actually fat or just has ridiculously thick skin.

Imagine the scenes.....Rafael does great for 2 seasons. A trophy and maybe qualify for the CL. Then Klopp leaves the RS and Rafael defects. I can honestly see this scenario (theoretical b/c we ain't getting a trophy or the CL)

…be interesting if he’s got a clause in his contract allowing him to leave without compensation if the Reds come calling. I’m sure that remains his ideal scenario.

No anger here, but it’s done for any interest I have in the club until he’s gone

I can handle us being crap, making crap recruitment decisions and all that and have done practically my whole time as a fan, but this and allardyce…..nah

i can’t put my finger on it, as to be honest it’s a natural reaction these last few days, but I think maybe it’s with these decisions the owners are showing they are NEA so that’s how I feel. The weaseling around in the media to spin it also sticks in the craw.

Im gonna switch off now from anything related to the club including this forum until he is booted out. I’ll be happier without it. For those of you who are accepting of it, enjoy. For those of you who aren’t but will stick around I hope it’s not as much of a torture as we are imagining

see ya

'Smaller' club is different to 'small' club.

It's a fact we are a smaller club than Liverpool. If he said that to pander to the fans, so be it - "people's club" was the same thing from Moyes.

'Small' club is where the fault lies, in that post-match interview. His reasoning behind it I can accept - it was borne from frustration after our first and only impulse that game was not to lose it. I remember it vividly - we set up like San Marino, actually had a few chances because Liverpool threw the kitchen sink at us and left spaces. Tactically, it was fine, but it was 100% the tactics of a small club against a larger opposition.
Once again, I have absolutely no issue with him saying it. This isn't a difficult concept. Him talking down this club in order to win favour with his current club is absolutely fine, it doesn't make him a despicable human being. It does, however, mean that the fans of this club will struggle to warm to him and believe in him. This is clear from what is being said here, on twitter, and in the real world, it isn't really debatable. I don't want him hung drawn and quartered, I just don't want him to be in charge of the club I support.

That's exactly what happened, but to me he clearly meant the way we set up on the day, not the club as a whole. And the truth is he was 100% right.

He can't apologise for what he didn't mean to say, he can only apologise for the mistake.

…..I actually thought he was fudging the issue when he said he meant to call us a small team. Indeed, I think it was an insult to our intelligence.

Absolutely

I actually don't think he ever thought we were an actual small club

He said it because he wanted to curry favour with his fan base, which I actually think is perfectly reasonable

However, if he wants the job here then he has to realise that those comments need walking back and an apology is required

Again, Clough stuck by all his anti-Leeds stuff when he went there and it doomed him from day one, and he was a much better manager than Benitez is. If he couldn't bluster his way through it then Benitez doesn't have a chance

Just apologise. Get it out of the way and we can move on. A lot of supporters (myself included) will accept it and give him a chance

I expect him to do the same thing here to other clubs. As you said earlier standard practice of being a manager.

…it’s a very good point, Mikey. I was thinking similar. I think it’s very important he answers the inevitable question full on & doesn’t try & fudge it. He knew what he said, he said Everton was a small club. It insults intelligence to say he meant small team.

Despite some on here sadly agreeing with Benitez’s ‘small club’ descriptor, I guarantee we are not seen within the game as a small club.

Benitez needs to accept the clubs history & standing in the game, including our status as one of its founding members. He needs to say his original comments were wrong & were down to rivalry & him playing mind games.
Unfortunately Eggs there is a lot of lip service paid to us when talking about our size and history.

The media have been pushing Eddie Howe, Sean Dyche and Graham Potter as suitable managers for Everton
How many of them would be mentioned if Klopp left Liverpool today?

THERE have been rumours that Arsenal want to buy DCL and would pay 50m but because it is Everton that stupid price has stuck.

The talk big club but everything else they say or do suggests small time

…..I actually thought he was fudging the issue when he said he meant to call us a small team. Indeed, I think it was an insult to our intelligence.

Why? In the context of the comments, in relation to how we set up and approached the game, it made perfect sense.

We set up like Accrington Stanley would against them, that's just fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.