New Everton Stadium Discussion

Money will always win out over politicking. The Liverpool Waters development is huge private investment with limited contribution from public sector finances. No Tory will stop this type of capitalist spending.

Rich people get what they want Dave, it's how it works. We now have a rich man who wants to be even richer by building us a stadium and buying us a team. As a Blue I'm delighted. As a guest to your city, I'm equally delighted that this investment is coming.

Embrace it Dave.
I do. If it happens it'll be earth-shattering in terms of the power relations in football in this city. I fully understand how concerned the Kopites are by it, I would be too if were them.

Still, Moshiri might be a billionaire but he's dependent on far richer people who are much more in control of the forces in this region required to make things happen.

I do. If it happens it'll be earth-shattering in terms of the power relations in football in this city. I fully understand how concerned the Kopites are by it, I would be too if were them.

Still, Moshiri might be a billionaire but he's dependent on far richer people who are much more in control of the forces in this region required to make things happen.

Indeed. And I dont doubt for a second that Moshiri bought into Everton and then thought, "Wait, the grounds a bit past it". It was all lined up months before his cheque to Bill etal cleared.

IMO anyrate.

That's the key. I do believe that Peel might be prepared to play the long game. It'll be very interesting to see the wording and gauge the tone of the Peel announcements for Liverpool Waters this week.

This long game.

What is better for Peel than the stadium coming in and probably having some sort of revenue from this (alongside sale of land) as well as probable increase in valuation of land around it for other development? And then all the revenue that this development would bring in?

I just dont see, long term, what could be better for Peel than a stadium going in.

Indeed. And I dont doubt for a second that Moshiri bought into Everton and then thought, "Wait, the grounds a bit past it". It was all lined up months before his cheque to Bill etal cleared.

IMO anyrate.

I do think he wants legacy.

If this drags on and on...or fails early...what effect, if any, would that have on his interest in the club?

One to ponder, I suppose.

This long game.

What is better for Peel than the stadium coming in and probably having some sort of revenue from this (alongside sale of land) as well as probable increase in valuation of land around it for other development? And then all the revenue that this development would bring in?

I just dont see, long term, what could be better for Peel than a stadium going in.
They were dead set against a stadium not so long ago. I think we have to give that some sort of weight in our evaluation of how much Peel are fully behind this and what sort of partners they'd be if the going gets tough.

And I dont want to get all sectarian on this, but for reasons outlined above I think LFC will be pulling strings and trying to sabotage this with all their might. They are a big economic driver for the city and their word will be considered very closely.

I do think he wants legacy.

If this drags on and on...or fails early...what effect, if any, would that have on his interest in the club?

One to ponder, I suppose.

It wont fail. It was all dusted months ago imo.

Maybe some willie waving going on, but too many (rich) vested interests all tied up in this.

I have my own pet theory why stuff might be slower than we would like, but it will remain that, a pet theory.

It wont fail. It was all dusted months ago imo.

Maybe some willie waving going on, but too many (rich) vested interests all tied up in this.

I have my own pet theory why stuff might be slower than we would like, but it will remain that, a pet theory.
It hasn't got going yet mate. Not the real stuff. Pencilling in land prices = the easy part.

They were dead set against a stadium not so long ago. I think we have to give that some sort of weight in our evaluation of how much Peel are fully behind this and what sort of partners they'd be if the going gets tough.

And I dont want to get all sectarian on this, but for reasons outlined above I think LFC will be pulling strings and trying to sabotage this with all their might. They are a big economic driver for the city and their word will be considered very closely.

Do you honestly expect Peel to not have said anything by now if they were dead set? Both local, national papers have commented the site is pretty much secured, as has the council and Everton themselves have reiterated there preference. Equally, last I saw, Peel would welcome a stadium.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/peel-everton-fans-should-watch-12379126

They readily admit it would be welcome.

I think if they didnt, they would have released something by now and we would probably be digging already at Stonecross Bridge.

In terms of LFC being a big economic driver, I would suggest that the council have lost much confidence in them over a) Stanley Park debacle and b) utter contempt for Anfield during the phase of abandonment of the area. I also believe that the council would see the economic benefits of the whole regeneration, of which, this stadium is central too, being far greater than LFC and there customer base.

It hasn't got going yet mate. Not the real stuff. Pencilling in land prices = the easy part.

Well, nothing much public, granted.

But, either Moshiri woke up one morning and the EFC Fairy had lobbed a blue bobble hat on his bonce, and he turned his cash onto us.

Or, a strategic plan was hatched, with the aim to realise his monetary ambition via the last great PL development opportunity.

Pretty sure which one I reckon happened.

They readily admit it would be welcome.

I think if they didnt, they would have released something by now and we would probably be digging already at Stonecross Bridge.

In terms of LFC being a big economic driver, I would suggest that the council have lost much confidence in them over a) Stanley Park debacle and b) utter contempt for Anfield during the phase of abandonment of the area. I also believe that the council would see the economic benefits of the whole regeneration, of which, this stadium is central too, being far greater than LFC and there customer base.
They cant just sit on land. They have to be prepared to engage in dialogue at least to live in peace with the local state who naturally want developments. Peel have been given a bollocking before by government for not developing.

Well, nothing much public, granted.

But, either Moshiri woke up one morning and the EFC Fairy had lobbed a blue bobble hat on his bonce, and he turned his cash onto us.

Or, a strategic plan was hatched, with the aim to realise his monetary ambition via the last great PL development opportunity.

Pretty sure which one I reckon happened.
He's seen an opportunity and gone for it, no question. But if he reaches for it and it fails he still has an investment that wont depreciate anytime soon given the interest in the PL world-wide.

He's taken a punt. If it comes off he has a massive profit and a legacy for himself (he'll be known for a state of the art stadium in a world renowned location rather than what he is right now: Usmanov's mate).