New Everton Stadium

This attitude beggars belief. How does anyone think that because someone has wealth they know more about the football club you support and the business its in than you do?

These people by and large are alien to us. They have different motivations and they cant, imo, be trusted...or certainly they cant be offered trust when they've produced nothing so far that suggests that trust is earned.

To be honest Dave, I think it's your own attitude that beggars belief. Just to challenge a recent post you've made:

In answer to your question: there's no need to put yourself in harms way for 40 years because it's not the only model available. Why not get our act together on the pitch and then see where we stand regarding capacity and location of any new stadium?

You mention getting our act together on the pitch. How exactly do you think we are going to put ourselves back among the elite with the resources we have available to us at present? We don't have the pull over any of the current top 6 with potential new signings and we saw during Moyes time here that there was effectively a glass ceiling preventing us from breaking in to the top 4. If we continue to stand still as you suggest, the best we will ever achieve is 5th, which barring one massive over achievement from Moyes when he got us 4th is the best we have managed since 1988.

Seeing where we stand regarding Capacity is another pointless decision seeing as though we have sold out every home game this season, despite thousands of obstructed views and the majority of away fans returning half their allocation and our fans still snapping up the seats. Then there is the fact that Goodison cannot generate anywhere near the amount of money we would need to compete with our potential rivals in Corporate seating etc. We are currently missing out on huge amounts of money related to both of these things whilst other clubs such as Liverpool, Man City and West Ham have either redeveloped or moved, and Spurs and Chelsea are moving to new grounds with 60,000 capacities. Goodison is no longer fit for purpose and those who own the club have acknowledged that. As recent as Sunday the ground proved it is severely behind the times as the away section was actually leaking when Chelsea visited.

Finally on location. How can you possibly see us moving to one of the finest locations this entire country has to offer and the prime location in the City as a negative? It will be alongside a £5.5bn scheme for Liverpool Waters and has the potential to increase our global appeal rather than being confined to L4. You ridicule Moshiri and then put across a lame suggestion as to how we will get back to the big time by simply 'getting our act together on the pitch', as if that is going to attract the likes of Aguero and Hazard to Goodison.

To be honest Dave, I think it's your own attitude that beggars belief. Just to challenge a recent post you've made:

In answer to your question: there's no need to put yourself in harms way for 40 years because it's not the only model available. Why not get our act together on the pitch and then see where we stand regarding capacity and location of any new stadium?

You mention getting our act together on the pitch. How exactly do you think we are going to put ourselves back among the elite with the resources we have available to us at present? We don't have the pull over any of the current top 6 with potential new signings and we saw during Moyes time here that there was effectively a glass ceiling preventing us from breaking in to the top 4. If we continue to stand still as you suggest, the best we will ever achieve is 5th, which barring one massive over achievement from Moyes when he got us 4th is the best we have managed since 1988.

Seeing where we stand regarding Capacity is another pointless decision seeing as though we have sold out every home game this season, despite thousands of obstructed views and the majority of away fans returning half their allocation and our fans still snapping up the seats. Then there is the fact that Goodison cannot generate anywhere near the amount of money we would need to compete with our potential rivals in Corporate seating etc. We are currently missing out on huge amounts of money related to both of these things whilst other clubs such as Liverpool, Man City and West Ham have either redeveloped or moved, and Spurs and Chelsea are moving to new grounds with 60,000 capacities. Goodison is no longer fit for purpose and those who own the club have acknowledged that. As recent as Sunday the ground proved it is severely behind the times as the away section was actually leaking when Chelsea visited.

Finally on location. How can you possibly see us moving to one of the finest locations this entire country has to offer and the prime location in the City as a negative? It will be alongside a £5.5bn scheme for Liverpool Waters and has the potential to increase our global appeal rather than being confined to L4. You ridicule Moshiri and then put across a lame suggestion as to how we will get back to the big time by simply 'getting our act together on the pitch', as if that is going to attract the likes of Aguero and Hazard to Goodison.
Here here and well said. Put better than I have in my posts!

You call that manageable how exactly? There isn't anything left to sell.. except players ... if we continue down this route we had been on. Our commercial side is a shambles.. which will get better I'm sure.. moshiri has come in ... and not that you want to admit it made it so we COULD move because we couldn't before because of the pru... more than kenwright has ever done considering it's his fault the charge was there.

I do think the risk is worth taking otherwise we will stagnate and possibly go down and heaven forbid be relegated... we need more money being generated and stating at Goodison won't achieve that. You say redevlop Goodison? I've seen those plans that people have come up and and I don't see how they can work and generate the money we need... and I think that would involve forcing people out of their homes as the footprint isn't big enough at Goodison and I don't want to go down that route like them lot did.
The tv cash is astronomical. That alone spent wisely with player trading could have seen this club go on for years to come without fear of destruction. Do we want just that? No. But is tying the club's long term future to a debt of astronomical proportions the obvious solution to that and the only basis for success? Equally no.

We are supporters and are passionate about our club and nothing wrong with that. But they know how to make money better than i do that's for certain. I'm not stupid far from it... but I ain't a billionaire and I do have some knowledge of how to run a business.

You say they have offered nothing? You have been told time and again what has changed to far yet you just don't want to accept it. That's your choice... fact it things have changed and I am pretty sure it will change for the better.
For very good reason: it isn't happening...or it certainly isn't happening to the degree many have been persuaded to believe it has. Fundamentally nothing has changed.

I have a feeling that this summer's transfer window will bring some home truths on deck about just how much this new regime is prepared to back the club. I'm sure their helpers will be seeding Everton forums in advance with arguments about net spend being not necessarily a good indicator, but it is and it will be. We need massive spending on this squad not the saddling of it with half a billion debt.

The tv cash is astronomical. That alone spent wisely with player trading could have seen this club go on for years to come without fear of destruction. Do we want just that? No. But is tying the club's long term future to a debt of astronomical proportions the obvious solution to that and the only basis for success? Equally no.
The tv money alone would not give us what we need to move forward...even with the new tv deal out income is about 160mill... far far short of what is needed. We want players of better quality and that means spending money plain and simple.

You are totally and utterly wrong. Staying where we are and just investing in players with the tv money is a short road to disaster in today's football world.

For very good reason: it isn't happening...or it certainly isn't happening to the degree many have been persuaded to believe it has. Fundamentally nothing has changed.

I have a feeling that this summer's transfer window will bring some home truths on deck about just how much this new regime is prepared to back the club. I'm sure their helpers will be seeding Everton forums in advance with arguments about net spend being not necessarily a good indicator, but it is and it will be. We need massive spending on this squad not the saddling of it with half a billion debt.
So by your own argument we need to spend massively in the squad.. thank you for finally seeing a bit of sense... and exactly do you propose we spend massively on the squad And don't say the tv money that is not nearly enough for what we need

Just think a little bit outside the Everton bubble we all live in mate.

Liverpool Waters is probably, for all I know anyrate, the last massive dock redevelopment to hit the UK; Liverpools certainly. And once a dock is redeveloped, they tend to stay like that for more than a few weeks.

This opportunity to put a ground there is now. Not in a few years when your as yet fictional football team has catapulted us into the upper reaches of European football. Again. Now.

Are there risks? Of course. There are risks every 6 months in a transfer window.

They are manageable risks though, but the chance to build a dockside/waterfront new home will never ever occur again.

Reckon its a loaded dice worth rolling imo.

:Blink:

Our Prudential 25 year loan and the other short term borrowings were costing the club circa £6m a year to service, that's now gone.

The funding scheme for the new stadium is going to cost circa £8.5m on top of the amount you have just admitted was 'manageable', and that's without factoring in the increased revenue from the additional seats, additional corporate, more of the matchday pound being spent at the ground due to better facilities, and a naming rights deal that could possible even cover the entire annual amount.

All you're doing is scare mongering, without having a grasp of the numbers imo.
The Bear Stearns/Prudential securitisation was small beer compared to the potential levels of debt we face for decades over this stadium. You know it and I know it. You cant finesse away the colossal level of repayment we'll pay each and every year for 40 years by blithely stating one year's terms of borrowing from funders and the cash committed to paying LCC. It'll be an eye watering half billion...or put another way: four season's worth of the annual turnover of this football club to be paid back over time.

In your haste to label me a scaremonger, please dont rush away from those facts.

The Bear Stearns/Prudential securitisation was small beer compared to the potential levels of debt we face for decades over this stadium. You know it and I know it. You cant finesse away the colossal level of repayment we'll pay each and every year for 40 years by blithely stating the annual terms of borrowing from funders and the cash committed to paying LCC. It'll be an eye watering half billion...or put another way: four season's worth of the annual turnover of this football club to be paid back over time.

In your haste to label me a scaremonger, please dont rush away from those facts.

You've just completely run away from the facts of how and why it's a sustainable and 'manageable' annual debt repayment.

The total amount of capital is irrelevant, it's the affordability of the repayments that's what matters, and we could potentially cover the entire cost via a naming rights deal, which currently earns us £0. So we move from a ground with no naming rights, into a waterside home that we could have only dreamt of 18 months ago, and there's a real possibility the entire annual funding cost could be covered by a name on the side, and you somehow think this is a bad thing? hahahaha, ok mate x

The Bear Stearns/Prudential securitisation was small beer compared to the potential levels of debt we face for decades over this stadium. You know it and I know it. You cant finesse away the colossal level of repayment we'll pay each and every year for 40 years by blithely stating one year's terms of borrowing from funders and the cash committed to paying LCC. It'll be an eye watering half billion...or put another way: four season's worth of the annual turnover of this football club to be paid back over time.

We have pretty much been in debt for probably the last 30 years mate... hate to break it to you.. this club has survived on debt since the premier league era... which im sure the accounts would back up if anyone checked.

So yes it does not bother me that we will have this debt for 40 years as its MANAGEABLE, unless football falls over a cliff and like ive said if that happens the whole of football is in trouble and not just us....

Do you have manageble debt? credit cards? mortgage? its the way things get paid for if you want the things now and not save up for it... i guess we could open up a savings account, put money aside and hope in 40 years we have enough money to build a stadium.... assuming we are still around...

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back