New Everton Stadium Discussion

Not a new stadium at the time of the main stand rebuild. By the PE then you can say we probably should have.

The Main Stand mistakes were not straightening Goodison Road first, then building it such a way we have restricted views because of the non cantilever roof and the pillars that hold up the TB. As you say Chelsea's main stand is what ours could have been like.

I know it's probably unfair to say they did it wrong back in 1969-70, as football was a completey different game, but had we had the foresight to have more hospitality space and bigger dressing rooms etc. that would have helped us embrace the start of the PL era with us at the pointy end.

Had that happened, with a two tier PE, suddenly we have a 50+k stadium with no restricted views on two sides (perhaps the re-roof of GS would have been also made a cantilever and that would have reduced the number further to a minimum over there).

We always took the cheaper option despite being one of the very best in the country.

How did you think the club could straighten the goodison road? Would have meant good bye to the buildings behind it which added to the character, and of course the Winslow pub.

Cantilever was a no go due to the shadowing on the residential areas.

Sure my grandad said they used to rub it into them that we had escalators and decent lounges. No one was arsed about posts back then.

The park end how ever, was the cheapest option, albeit put further back from the pitch allow a future expansion for other stands by moving the pitch. Think they did have some sort of plan which wasn’t progressed under Bill.

I've done some quick maths and I think you're responsible for 97% of all mentions of Anfield on this thread. Maybe a touch less now as I've just mentioned Anfield. And again. Dammit.

The anfield stuff is nonsense by him. The Taylor Swift concert made concrete proof of how it’s not a modern stadium, facilities, views and transport links.

How did you think the club could straighten the goodison road? Would have meant good bye to the buildings behind it which added to the character, and of course the Winslow pub.

Cantilever was a no go due to the shadowing on the residential areas.

Sure my grandad said they used to rub it into them that we had escalators and decent lounges. No one was arsed about posts back then.

The park end how ever, was the cheapest option, albeit put further back from the pitch allow a future expansion for other stands by moving the pitch. Think they did have some sort of plan which wasn’t progressed under Bill.

They knocked down the whole one side of the Gwladys St. and the complete road behind the Park End, so yes they could have straightened the road if they had the will to do so.

My understanding is they had the option to sort the roof but took the cheaper version. @Tom Hughes probably knows what exactly happened there, whether it be light or expense.

Your grandad was probably right about the escalators. Posts not so sure about though, lots of stands around that time were being built without them. So to say people didn't care is all well and good until it is you stuck 18 inches from one.

They knocked down the whole one side of the Gwladys St. and the complete road behind the Park End, so yes they could have straightened the road if they had the will to do so.

My understanding is they had the option to sort the roof but took the cheaper version. @Tom Hughes probably knows what exactly happened there, whether it be light or expense.

Your grandad was probably right about the escalators. Posts not so sure about though, lots of stands around that time were being built without them. So to say people didn't care is all well and good until it is you stuck 18 inches from one.

Houses behind the park end were owned by the club so that wasn’t an issue I believe.

Gwaldys st extension, offered I believe generous offers to disperse apart from one house who was stubborn and was there for a while? Sure @Joey66 will know better or have an image.

I wasn’t even alive during any of these extensions but it’s what I’ve read as I’m a bit of a stadium nerd and love goodison.

Just so you know I’m enjoying this discussion and admit I may be wrong.

Back in the early 90's I'm sure most of us would have been happy with expanding the ground I wrote to Everton a few times Jim Greenwood was Secretary. Add another tier on to the Bullens a bit like Rangers have. Alternatively they could have built outwards south eastwards behind the Bullens and the PE. The sort of steps the the RS did with their stadium. We didn't. We basically left Goodison to grow old with just a lick of paint and some new plastic seats here and there. Hence new stadium becomes a must. Not borne out of progress or ambition, but out of necessity.

The anfield stuff is nonsense by him. The Taylor Swift concert made concrete proof of how it’s not a modern stadium, facilities, views and transport links.

Which bit is nonsense: Higher capacity? More boxes/corporate? Higher income? Fraction of the cost? Where did I say it was a modern stadium?

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.