New Everton Stadium Discussion

Thing is, there is debt, and there is DEBT.

Bad debt is having to borrow to stay alive, as has happened in the past. ie, adds little, if anything to the value of the club.

Then there is debt that is structured, and the result of it is a significant addition to the value of the club, ie, an ace stadium.

Like a credit card debt on clothes and stuff versus a mortgage debt for a house I guess.

Enough about debt for one evening

stadium costs are all about land and suppliers. We may need to pay a chunk for land, but we are financed by people who can get raw materials for low costs so we wont be paying over the odds unlike some, certainly wont be paying anything like Spurs have had to

There's a building on Cannon St in London which springs to mind. It could be our equivalent of the Birds Nest or the Bordeaux stadium if it was totally covered in latticework.

cannon_street_station_nw130609_2.jpg
Severfield did that - the steel tube is 762mm diameter 35mm thk

A lot of extra expense in the spurs build is the way it being constructed and it's locality in the community.
Bramley moor wouldn't have a fraction of the logistical nightmares Spurs are enduring possibly could be a simple build as a lot of the main steels could come straight of the boat onto site at any time of the day (Spurs have restrictions on deliveries due to its location and surrounding businesses)
The millennium stadium in Cardiff was fabricated in Italy from steel delivered from the UK by truck and delivered back by ship

I understand why some blues are of the opinion that we are not a big enough club to fill a stadium with a capacity of 60,000 or more. After all, we sometimes fail to fill Goodison. However, according to the club's own data, over a quarter of the seats at Goodison have an obstructed view! Who's going to pay £40 to sit behind a post?

When Arsenal played at Highbury, a stadium with obstructed views, they almost never had capacity attendances, and Highbury only held 39,000 people. Conversely, the Emirates, a world-class stadium with a capacity of almost 61,000, is almost always full. And West Ham's average attendance has shot up by over 20,000 since their move from a ground with obstructed views (Upton Park) to the Olympic Stadium.

Fans are much more likely to want to watch their team in a state-of-the-art stadium than in a decrepit stadium that is riddled with obstructed views, like Goodison.

stadium costs are all about land and suppliers. We may need to pay a chunk for land, but we are financed by people who can get raw materials for low costs so we wont be paying over the odds unlike some, certainly wont be paying anything like Spurs have had to
Material costs can be kept down by innovative design and a little bit of lateral thinking.

The olympic stadium was built under budget and within time scale by utilising material that was largely already available from stock and could be reserved for 12 months while the design was finalised.

The same design team and structural engineers used the same source of supply that they used for the emirates.

Little known fact - both stadium have common sizes within their structures and, coincidently, the emirates incorporated the same size as the Cannon Street building pictured earlier (it's above the underground station and won an award, but I can't remember it's name).

Wimbledon no 2 courts roof will include some of the same sized tubes as the olympic stadium also.

Wembley was designed around material that was all specifically made for the project so they had to wait until it was made before they could start fabrication - and agreed to pay the price ruling at the date of dispatch instead of agreeing a fixed price.

And the Etihad (commonwealth stadium as it was when built) uses a type of tube that could only be sourced from one manufacturer.
John Lennon airport used elliptical tubes (oval instead of round) which cost about twice that of circular sections.

But the aesthetics were considered to be worth the cost on both schemes (how many people noticed the oval steelwork at the airport before now ?).

Spurs look to be using a combination of precast and slip formed concrete in the terracing (which I guess must have been the cheapest option,
but their roof includes some very unusual tubes that will be costing a lot simply because there are limited number of suppliers.

Forgemasters in Sheffield could produce what they want - but my guess is it will ultimately come to the UK to be fabricated near Bolton from either Italy, Germany or the far east.

I don't think they have finalised the roof design just yet so the material won't have been ordered, meanwhile steel prices have gone up 10% worldwide plus another 10% due to sterlings current weakness.

I understand why some blues are of the opinion that we are not a big enough club to fill a stadium with a capacity of 60,000 or more. After all, we sometimes fail to fill Goodison. However, according to the club's own data, over a quarter of the seats at Goodison have an obstructed view! Who's going to pay £40 to sit behind a post?

When Arsenal played at Highbury, a stadium with obstructed views, they almost never had capacity attendances, and Highbury only held 39,000 people. Conversely, the Emirates, a world-class stadium with a capacity of almost 61,000, is almost always full. And West Ham's average attendance has shot up by over 20,000 since their move from a ground with obstructed views (Upton Park) to the Olympic Stadium.

Fans are much more likely to want to watch their team in a state-of-the-art stadium than in a decrepit stadium that is riddled with obstructed views, like Goodison.
All this talk of can we fill a stadium, we have had 78,000 in Goodison before for a friendly. Build a modern stadium with an excellent team and fans will pour in.

We will fill 60000 at present
If we don't build it we'll never know.

Why not just go for it?

Ask Coventry supporters if a nice new shiny stadium alone is a guarantee of success, it's a mix of quality on and off the pitch that's necessary.

Material costs can be kept down by innovative design and a little bit of lateral thinking.

The olympic stadium was built under budget and within time scale by utilising material that was largely already available from stock and could be reserved for 12 months while the design was finalised.

The same design team and structural engineers used the same source of supply that they used for the emirates.

Little known fact - both stadium have common sizes within their structures and, coincidently, the emirates incorporated the same size as the Cannon Street building pictured earlier (it's above the underground station and won an award, but I can't remember it's name).

Wimbledon no 2 courts roof will include some of the same sized tubes as the olympic stadium also.

Wembley was designed around material that was all specifically made for the project so they had to wait until it was made before they could start fabrication - and agreed to pay the price ruling at the date of dispatch instead of agreeing a fixed price.

And the Etihad (commonwealth stadium as it was when built) uses a type of tube that could only be sourced from one manufacturer.
John Lennon airport used elliptical tubes (oval instead of round) which cost about twice that of circular sections.

But the aesthetics were considered to be worth the cost on both schemes (how many people noticed the oval steelwork at the airport before now ?).

Spurs look to be using a combination of precast and slip formed concrete in the terracing (which I guess must have been the cheapest option,
but their roof includes some very unusual tubes that will be costing a lot simply because there are limited number of suppliers.

Forgemasters in Sheffield could produce what they want - but my guess is it will ultimately come to the UK to be fabricated near Bolton from either Italy, Germany or the far east.

I don't think they have finalised the roof design just yet so the material won't have been ordered, meanwhile steel prices have gone up 10% worldwide plus another 10% due to sterlings current weakness.

agree 100% but also worth noting Moshiri's background, steel is going up but (usmanov cough, cough) produces a lot of this!!