New Everton Stadium Discussion

BMD TIMELINE.jpg

Liverpool added 2 new tiers at the back of their 1906 mainstand for a construction cost of just £74m adding nearly 9000 seats and a whole corporate tier. They are about to do something similar at the Anfield Rd end adding another 7-8000 for less.

This they had to do over 7-8 floors. The much lower raked lower Bullens wouldn't need anything like that volume of construction. Clearing 16-20 houses on Muriel and Diana Streets would probably be enough for right of light requirements.... so I think you can get an awful lot for that.... especially when you're only having build 15-20k new seats to pass BMDs capacity. Cost is precisely why most large clubs have favoured redevelopment were possible.

Dont forget, we're spending £100m just to prep BMD. Liverpool completely transformed their very old stand for less than that!
When you say clearing 16-20 houses are you talking about evicting local residents like our neighbours did
Surely we are better than that

It'd be interesting to see how other clubs building new stadia have fared in terms of matchday versus non-matchday revenue.

If you're a Euro elite club I think you can make that pay.

I dont keep abreast of the stadium plans, but I dont think Everton are even looking to maximize space for corporate boxes to exploit matchdays are they?
Corporate boxes are dying off all over the world due to company and taxation rules

When you say clearing 16-20 houses are you talking about evicting local residents like our neighbours did
Surely we are better than that
You'd like to think so, but we did it before them with the Park End rebuild

However, from memory we didn't do it in an underhand way, running the area into neglect to hugely devalue the prices.

You'd like to think so, but we did it before them with the Park End rebuild

However, from memory we didn't do it in an underhand way, running the area into neglect to hugely devalue the prices.
Different times now and different standards
You would be hard pressed to find similar properties in the area for 150% of the market price of the Bullens road houses
The landlords would take the money , end the tenancies and leave the tenants no option but to pay much higher rent elsewhere

would we get a bigger capacity of we went safe standing in Bramley Moore Jacko.
So, I have put together a few images explaining the design of BMD and why they went for a reduced seating capacity.

It is fairly common knowledge now that rail seating will be installed at BMD in a number of areas, up to 3 have been mentioned at some point or other. There was also mention in a number of places about Dortmunds Yellow wall. This reference was less about the size, than it was the strategy. The 'seating' at BMD is designed like this

Standing arrangments.jpg

Notice the double step, that allows somebody to stand behind the person in front and maintain a view. That means that we could double the rows in the ground (almost, a person standing takes up more width that a person sitting, ever notice how its more cramped at half time and people spill onto the walkways....)

Many older stadiums have been designed and built under different regs than the new stadiums, such as Spurs, BMD etc, and the regs allowed more people per facility. When the all seater stands were mandated, in all cases the capacity came down, and facility provision per person improved, meaning that every available space could be taken by a seat, regardless of regulations at the time. The result was that concourses were deemed suitable for full seated capacity. There will be no appetite to decrease provision per person as it would now be in direct contravention of current regulations. Hence, old stadiums will not be able to install rail seating beyond 1:1 (with the increased width of a standing person being larger than one seated, it may only be 0.8:1 for standing versus seated, based upon blue book guidance and minimum measurements.)

This image show a concourse designed to balance maximum seating, such as at Spurs.

Spurs was a funny case though as they also gave large parts of their stadium to NFL usage (Massive changing rooms etc. pushing other facilities elsewhere and reducing concourse space. A massive balancing act.

Seating cap max.JPG

Whereas the following two show the design at BMD, over provisioning for the seated arrangement, allowing a capacity to be raised during standing. All within the same boundary constraints

Seating cap for standing concourse.JPG

Standing.JPG

The images above are based upon a 1.6:1 ratio, purely cause it worked easier on powerpoint.

So, I have put together a few images explaining the design of BMD and why they went for a reduced seating capacity.

It is fairly common knowledge now that rail seating will be installed at BMD in a number of areas, up to 3 have been mentioned at some point or other. There was also mention in a number of places about Dortmunds Yellow wall. This reference was less about the size, than it was the strategy. The 'seating' at BMD is designed like this

View attachment 138987

Notice the double step, that allows somebody to stand behind the person in front and maintain a view. That means that we could double the rows in the ground (almost, a person standing takes up more width that a person sitting, ever notice how its more cramped at half time and people spill onto the walkways....)

Many older stadiums have been designed and built under different regs than the new stadiums, such as Spurs, BMD etc, and the regs allowed more people per facility. When the all seater stands were mandated, in all cases the capacity came down, and facility provision per person improved, meaning that every available space could be taken by a seat, regardless of regulations at the time. The result was that concourses were deemed suitable for full seated capacity. There will be no appetite to decrease provision per person as it would now be in direct contravention of current regulations. Hence, old stadiums will not be able to install rail seating beyond 1:1 (with the increased width of a standing person being larger than one seated, it may only be 0.8:1 for standing versus seated, based upon blue book guidance and minimum measurements.)

This image show a concourse designed to balance maximum seating, such as at Spurs.

Spurs was a funny case though as they also gave large parts of their stadium to NFL usage (Massive changing rooms etc. pushing other facilities elsewhere and reducing concourse space. A massive balancing act.

View attachment 138991

Whereas the following two show the design at BMD, over provisioning for the seated arrangement, allowing a capacity to be raised during standing. All within the same boundary constraints

View attachment 138992
View attachment 138993

The images above are based upon a 1.6:1 ratio, purely cause it worked easier on powerpoint.
You've been a reassuring and informative voice on this throughout. Many thanks!

You might want to back that up with some data.
To be fair, I understood it to be because they are a bit crap. Loads of luxury etc but you don't feel you're at the match. More than anything I understood that they were going out of fashion. Even rich people want something which is a bit more of a hybrid, isn't?

You've been a reassuring and informative voice on this throughout. Many thanks!
Yeah, thanks Jacko. Based on nothing but optimism and instinct, I am convinced we will increase our capacity by rail sitting as described. And yes, I do know what the CURRENT legislation is. Didn't the speed limit used to be 10 mph?