New Everton Stadium Discussion

The design is not iconic like where told.

The concourse and facilities will be much better which is good.
How is it not iconic? What other stadium looks like Bramley Moore?

Granted it's not the 'Birds Nest' in Beijing but it's still a fantastic looking stadium.

Ignoring the inside, which is difficult to make iconic given it comprises a pitch and some seating like every other stadium in the world, what would you class as iconic?

Granted it's not the 'Birds Nest' in Beijing but it's still a fantastic looking stadium.

Ignoring the inside, which is difficult to make iconic given it comprises a pitch and some seating like every other stadium in the world, what would you class as iconic?
Agree with this.

It’s an iconic location, with a decent stadium on it.

Features like the tower, the dock wall, the cladding, the riverside location will separate it from the other modern grounds

To be fair to Meis some of the big design changes made for both financial reasons and to get planning (notably reducing overall height) lessened his original design.

The scaling back of the Home End probably got most fan focus but IMO the lowering and simplification of the roof design probably damages internal and external aesthetics most. The simplification of the Leitch design in the brick cladding was at worst neutral for me, as it saved money but arguably resulted in a cleaner design.

This highlights that not every change from Meis’ original plan was bad. The relocation of solar panels to the roof from the abandoned multi-storey is sensible. The stepped Western Terrace and architectural wind baffles arguably improve on the original design.

There will be inevitable compromises in any large scale build. My two biggest remaining fears (ignoring any risk from a club sale) are that:

1. Both the brick stand dressing and steel roof cladding might be designed & made too cheaply and look naff, and
2. The internal fit might be done on the cheap and leave it looking like a soulless concrete wasteland inside non-corporate areas

So far it seems the site preparation and build has progressed professionally, to high standards and without obvious corner-cutting. Hopefully that continues and we get a stadium that is not Spurs’ luxury palace but is functional, solid in terms of facilities, atmospheric when full and all in a location that cameras and visitors will love (wind, hail and sunny day smells will not stop that).

It is not unreasonable to see the possibility that aerial reveal shots along the river from over the city, down the river from the sea and across from Wirral will become some of the best known Premier League images globally. Every cruise and merchant ship will get the view.

Visibility matters. The drone footage of a still early-stage construction site hint at just how powerful a marketing and commercial tool this location can become if handled professionally.

Location, location, location...

To be fair to Meis some of the big design changes made for both financial reasons and to get planning (notably reducing overall height) lessened his original design.

The scaling back of the Home End probably got most fan focus but IMO the lowering and simplification of the roof design probably damages internal and external aesthetics most. The simplification of the Leitch design in the brick cladding was at worst neutral for me, as it saved money but arguably resulted in a cleaner design.

This highlights that not every change from Meis’ original plan was bad. The relocation of solar panels to the roof from the abandoned multi-storey is sensible. The stepped Western Terrace and architectural wind baffles arguably improve on the original design.

There will be inevitable compromises in any large scale build. My two biggest remaining fears (ignoring any risk from a club sale) are that:

1. Both the brick stand dressing and steel roof cladding might be designed & made too cheaply and look naff, and
2. The internal fit might be done on the cheap and leave it looking like a soulless concrete wasteland inside non-corporate areas

So far it seems the site preparation and build has progressed professionally, to high standards and without obvious corner-cutting. Hopefully that continues and we get a stadium that is not Spurs’ luxury palace but is functional, solid in terms of facilities, atmospheric when full and all in a location that cameras and visitors will love (wind, hail and sunny day smells will not stop that).

It is not unreasonable to see the possibility that aerial reveal shots along the river from over the city, down the river from the sea and across from Wirral will become some of the best known Premier League images globally. Every cruise and merchant ship will get the view.

Visibility matters. The drone footage of a still early-stage construction site hint at just how powerful a marketing and commercial tool this location can become if handled professionally.

The change to the roof is definitely my biggest disappointment of the changes made to date, it definitely looked miles better with a rake on it but can understand why it was done.

I can also see LoR making cost savings with the internal fit-out as a way of keeping on budget. We've seen very little of the internal proposals which worries me. That being said...will still be an enormous improvement on Goodison! lol

The change to the roof is definitely my biggest disappointment of the changes made to date, it definitely looked miles better with a rake on it but can understand why it was done.

I can also see LoR making cost savings with the internal fit-out as a way of keeping on budget. We've seen very little of the internal proposals which worries me. That being said...will still be an enormous improvement on Goodison! lol

Do we have any images of the older and new roof design? Not sure i have seen the new revised ones.

Do we have any images of the older and new roof design? Not sure i have seen the new revised ones.

Yeah, I'd find that interesting. I am aware of the differences inside the stadium and outside where the carpark was and where the steps now are but the difference in the roof has passed me by. Would somebody do a before and after, please.

Yeah, I'd find that interesting. I am aware of the differences inside the stadium and outside where the carpark was and where the steps now are but the difference in the roof has passed me by. Would somebody do a before and after, please.

If its a massive change, then it changes the entire look….hope its nothing too dramatic, as that original roof design was stunning.

If its a massive change, then it changes the entire look….hope its nothing too dramatic, as that original roof design was stunning.
I'll see what I can find.

It's probably not that noticeable to most people. Ultimately I think they've just changed the material being used, added the solar panels and also lowered the southern end so it's the same height all along.

Whether people like the design is subjective, as is whether it’s iconic or not.

Agree on the facilities, if I can get a half decent beer at half time, without having to leave my seat at 35 minutes, that’ll suit me. And hot running water in the bogs would be good an all.

I'm a big fan of the idea of getting people in early and staying after (to watch the late kick off) with decent priced beers.

That's what spurs do anyway.

4 different sides with the home end being bigger.

For your point one, I think it will look very similar to the car parks on victoria street and the new one next to the exhibition center (when up close of course). It's not a brick building is it really.

Point 2, from the CGI video, the home end concourse looks decent so lets hope they stick to that.