New Everton Stadium Discussion

What are your issues with the design?
I wouldn't say it's generic for a football stadium, but I would say it's a strange and unappetising mix of the old and new. Basically the club and Meis tried too hard to pacify UNESCO and Historic England and they've come up with a not very pleasing on the eye hybrid of nineteenth century warehousiong and futuristic vision, and the materials dont blend. I doubt given what happened since that Meis wouldn't hand that design in again.

In a nutshell that's it for me.

As I said: I had no faith (even until recently with our PL status on the line) that this would ever be completed, but now it is I'm looking more closely at the environment and the design together. The location...as I've always argued...is something that cant be bought. It is a gift that can you cant really spoil...and even this design wont spoil the overall impact of the stadium. But we could have done a lot better for £500M.

Last edited:
Which is why we need to drop our ratio of Season Ticket holders. I'll be amazed if the new ground makes a significant dent in our ST wait list.
As a non-season-ticket holder who struggles to get tickets when I'd like to, I couldn't agree more.

This is why I wanted the ground to be bigger. There is demand there. That way you could increase the number of season tickets, while also leaving extra headroom for day trippers.

I wouldn't say it's generic for a football stadium, but I would say it's a strange and unappetising mix of the old and new. Basically the club and Meis tried too hard to pacify UNESCO and Historic England and they've come up with a not very pleasing on the eye hybrid of nineteenth century warehousiong and futuristic vision, and the materials dont blend. I doubt given what happened since that Meis wouldn't hand that design in again.

As I said: I had no faith (even until recently with our PL status on the line) that this would ever be completed, but now it is I'm looking more closely at the environment and the design together. The location...as I've always argued...is something that cant be bought. It is a gift that can you cant really spoil...and even this design wont spoil the overall impact of the stadium. But we could have done a lot better for £500M.
"

As I said: I had no faih (even until recently with our PL status on the line) that this would ever be completed, but now it is I'm looking more closely at the environment and the design together. The location...as I've always argued...is something that cant be bought. It is a gift that can you cant really spoil...and even this design wont spoil the overall impact of the stadium. But we could have done a lot better for £500M.
I think compromises were made for unesco, certainly, but I doubt it would have been vastly different. I believe it has reduced the height of the home end. That was supposed to be a blue wall, now it’s the same as the other three sides.

Peronally I like the mix of old and new, but that is just a personal preference issue. With regards to the bowl, it’s an economic way to construct. They also took a decision over corporate seats to not have too many boxes, but go with lounges. They didn’t want to reduce the atmosphere.

i understand they also pushed the limit on seat spacing to keep the atmosphere.

Finally, £500m doesn’t get as much as you would think in major construction these days. To be honest, I’m surprised it wasn’t more given what’s being delivered.

Anyway, we’re all entitled to our opinions, but we’re getting what has been signed in the contract with Laing.

As a non-season-ticket holder who struggles to get tickets when I'd like to, I couldn't agree more.

This is why I wanted the ground to be bigger. There is demand there. That way you could increase the number of season tickets, while also leaving extra headroom for day trippers.
The capacity will haunt us for years.

Screenshot_20220623-100019.png
I wonder if there's a contingency in the design to extend this glass wall back if needed, and to add an extra few thousand seats there

I think compromises were made for unesco, certainly, but I doubt it would have been vastly different. I believe it has reduced the height of the home end. That was supposed to be a blue wall, now it’s the same as the other three sides.

Peronally I like the mix of old and new, but that is just a personal preference issue. With regards to the bowl, it’s an economic way to construct. They also took a decision over corporate seats to not have too many boxes, but go with lounges. They didn’t want to reduce the atmosphere.

i understand they also pushed the limit on seat spacing to keep the atmosphere.

Finally, £500m doesn’t get as much as you would think in major construction these days. To be honest, I’m surprised it wasn’t more given what’s being delivered.

Anyway, we’re all entitled to our opinions, but we’re getting what has been signed in the contract with Laing.
I'd prefer not to see the brickwork.

Ideally we'd have gone for a futuristic design and made a big statement. But we have a half-looking back half-looking forward construction in the making with ridiculous incorporations of Goodison features like a 'lattice brickwork' attempting to blend in with the top half of the structure.

IMO the design - whilst not being a total mess - is not a success. Far from it. It wont be winning too many architectural awards.

Edit...

View attachment 171016
There does look like there's a bit of room for it
I thought the glass opening was ment to be facing towards the city . What's the point of a view towards the treatment center?

Also I'm not sure why Everton didn't save them self's 100m and build it two doors down where the dock is already filled in...

And now the pitch is too small and doesn't fit . Typical Everton this

I'd prefer not to see the brickwork.

Ideally we'd have gone for a futuristic design and made a big statement. But we have a half-looking back half-looking forward construction in the making with ridiculous incorporations of Goodison features like a 'lattice brickwork' attempting to blend in with the top half of the structure.

IMO the design - whilst not being a total mess - is not a success. Far from it. It wont be winning too many architectural awards.
As I said, personal preference. There were constraints that limited what could be built.

Until the UNESCO designation was removed, I think it was always going to be something like that.

In fact, even now, I think there would still be a lot of constraints imposed by the heritage lobby. All of the new build buildings near the Waterloo Dock and Stanley Dock are brick.

I thought the glass opening was ment to be facing towards the city . What's the point of a view towards the treatment center?

Also I'm not sure why Everton didn't save them self's 100m and build it two doors down where the dock is already filled in...

And now the pitch is too small and doesn't fit . Typical Everton this
You can see America?