New Everton Stadium

Very true...there's been a lot of talk about us not filling Goodison.

Since when did we not fill it?

And if you sit in the seats at the back of the lower bullens, lower gwladys...you'll realise how unbelievable tosh some of those seats that people are buying really are!

Personally...I'm not sure about 60k capacity...but we'd piss 50k all day long.

I think that will be down to the ambition of the owners in regards to players.

Put a world class 11 on the pitch.
Charge less for entry fee.

You would get a 'boatload' of city visitors attending the stadium. So say 50 - 55k local supporters combined with £10k visitors shows it is doable.

We need to start attracting the day out fan too. They spend more at the club shop and take in a day experience.

Currently they are off to the big stand pit.
We can change that very quickly.

It depends. If they drag their feet and are seen to be holding back development of the city then I would think that the council have powers that they can use, up to and including compulsory purchase of the land. I suppose a lot depends upon the relationships between the parties......
The council can facilitate deals alongside vehicles like Liverpool Vision etc. That's what we're seeing. But political pressure can be short term and down to whatever individual person/parties hold sway, while economic plans are longer run affairs - or can be.

Peel play the long game.

They can't issue a cpo to develop the land for PL football club. A cpo would be in relation to infrastructure requirements such as roads etc i.e like that's been done on derby road to widen the route into the city

Archway Steel was CPOd in the end for our new stadium, but it was regarded as exceptional circumstances, because - as you say - CPOs are normally used for public works or infrastructure. For the CPO to happen Haringey had to prove the scheme was not just for the benefit of a private business (i.e. Spurs) but that it had wider regenerative benefits, and that without it those benefits couldn't be realised. It took 18 months of back and forth and eventually a High Court case for it to be resolved.

Archway actually ended up with less money from Haringey from the CPO than the club was offering them to relocate without a CPO. Oh well...

As I said, this was an exceptional circumstance. I suspect LCC would fail if they tried it with Peel because he would argue he's going to develop the land in a big way with or without Everton - that he's not an obstacle in the way Archway was but the catalyst for regeneration. It'd be a much harder case to argue.

In any case, this is all moot. It sounds like Peel and Everton are in talks and not at loggerheads.

The council can facilitate deals alongside vehicles like Liverpool Vision etc. That's what we're seeing. But political pressure can be short term and down to whatever individual person/parties hold sway, while economic plans are longer run affairs - or can be.

Peel play the long game.
Peel are interested in what will provide them with the greatest return, simple as.

If a stadium enhances the value of the surrounding land due to the associated infrastructure that would come with it, then they'll be behind it. When you add in the council funded road enhancements and the distinct possibility of a new rail head to boot they obviously think it'll work to their advantage, hence the reason there's some genuine momentum behind this plan.

Exactly the point I made.

No, you're arguing that Peel will start a media campaign against Everton to prevent the stadium.

The plans have been submitted to develop the northern docks by Peel Holdings, the same company have also held advanced discussions with Everton to include a stadium.

How would they then start a media campaign against something they want. There's no pressure from the council at all

Peel are interested in what will provide them with the greatest return, simple as.

If a stadium enhances the value of the surrounding land due to the associated infrastructure that would come with it, then they'll be behind it. When you add in the council funded road enhancements and the distinct possibility of a new rail head to boot they obviously think it'll work to their advantage, hence the reason there's some genuine momentum behind this plan.

Peel get £400M rent from the BBC for Salford Keys alone mate. What would a stadium build on the docks present them with?

What evidence do you have that a stadium would increase the value of land around it? Do businesses or individuals looking for a home particularly feel attracted to those environs?

No, you're arguing that Peel will start a media campaign against Everton to prevent the stadium.

The plans have been submitted to develop the northern docks by Peel Holdings, the same company have also held advanced discussions with Everton to include a stadium.

How would they then start a media campaign against something they want. There's no pressure from the council at all
No, I was arguing that the LCC have, through the local plan, a card to play.

No, I was arguing that the LCC have, through the local plan, a card to play.

Nope, this what you started off with

Dont underestimate Peel's possible role in stirring things up in social media etc. If they dont want this to happen I'm sure they'll use every means possible to make it fail - including using shills and amplifying genuine Kopite angst against Everton occupying a dockland stadium..

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back