New Everton Stadium

Chelsea's new stadium, which is likely to be completed before the end of the decade, is set to have a capacity of 65,0000.

60k according to the planning docs - see p6 of this pdf
http://public-access.lbhf.gov.uk/on..._-_CHAPTER_3_-_SCHEME_DESCRIPTION-1708888.pdf

The site is very constrained. The architects have done a superb job squeezing 60k in (n.b. they're doing this by digging down, lower tier below ground level)

Also, it'll be 2021 or 2022 that they move in, not the end of this decade. They'll have one or two more seasons at Stamford Bridge then three seasons away, almost certainly playing at Wembley. The current construction timeline in the same pdf I posted above reckons enabling works need to get underway this July for them to move in in 2021, which seems optimistic. I think 2022 is most likely.

Incidentally, I remembered seeing this video of Atletico Madrid's new stadium, which is due to open later this year. It can be converted to athletics use as it was designed partially with Madrid's (losing) 2020 Olympic bid in mind. See 4 mins onwards:

It's unlikely to ever see an athletics track installed unless Madrid wins an Olympics, because it'll mean Atletico moving out for a year, but it shows what's possible. Just throwing it out there.

One thing Barcelona done was to expand their stadium downwards and lower the pitch.

In some situations it can be a cheaper way to add a few thousand to the capacity. You'd have to design it with that in mind so that the front row of seats wouldn't be as close as you'd initially hope them to be, but in time the front row would be.
Another thing that bothers me about this... Building downwards - at the docks - next to a river, very close to the sea....

Gonna need a lot of damp membrane!

Another thing that bothers me about this... Building downwards - at the docks - next to a river, very close to the sea....

Gonna need a lot of damp membrane!
Someone who works in construction might confirm, but I think they call it 'tanking'. They use it with basement car parks to make them water tight. Shouldn't be a problem unless there's a tsunami that washes over the top of it.

The river in Cork city floods ever few years, and quite a few new office and hotel developments have built basement car parks on the riverside.

just been watching the video on the future on stadiums which has Dan Meis on it and he goes on about having different levels of the ground and having it blend in the surroundings and a below ground stadium, well the docks is perfect for that as its already been dug out and would really trap the atmosphere of the crowed and give it a nice steep stands look.

There was also a great idea about being able to boost the capacity when needed by around 10,000 and then when not needed lower the tier to make it back to the original size

like this -
a-view-of-the-same-end-of-the-stadium-from-the-inside-reveals-that-the-lower-level-below-the-black-line-is-actually-built-below-ground-level-with-an-enormous-video-board-that-circles-that-end-of-the-stadium.jpg

video - https://t.co/RK7eUNxPp3
Saves filling the dock in!

Someone who works in construction might confirm, but I think they call it 'tanking'. They use it with basement car parks to make them water tight. Shouldn't be a problem unless there's a tsunami that washes over the top of it.

The river in Cork city floods ever few years, and quite a few new office and hotel developments have built basement car parks on the riverside.
It would still let in water....................
may-1958-british-tanks-which-took-part-in-the-defeat-of-germany-at-picture-id3135141

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back