New Everton Stadium

They were dead set against a stadium not so long ago. I think we have to give that some sort of weight in our evaluation of how much Peel are fully behind this and what sort of partners they'd be if the going gets tough.

And I dont want to get all sectarian on this, but for reasons outlined above I think LFC will be pulling strings and trying to sabotage this with all their might. They are a big economic driver for the city and their word will be considered very closely.

Im as pessimistic as you on this. I'll believe it all when I take my seat on the first game in the Neville Southall Bramley Dock stadium. However, why would the council listen to the RS? They could have 2 top clubs bringing tourists into the city. And how would the RS threaten the council? Stop paying taxes? Discourage tourists from visiting? Move to another city?

Im as pessimistic as you on this. I'll believe it all when I take my seat on the first game in the Neville Southall Bramley Dock stadium. However, why would the council listen to the RS? They could have 2 top clubs bringing tourists into the city. And how would the RS threaten the council? Stop paying taxes? Discourage tourists from visiting? Move to another city?
Well no, not since they built that new stand. I don't suppose they have much of a hand to play in terms of threatening to up sticks and leave for Sefton/Knowsley.

But they do operate a monopoly in this area in terms of football tourist trade and I'd expect them to be working quietly in the background to discourage development down at the docks. It's a serious threat to a billion pound business and I very much doubt they're happy about it. They have councillors and MPs in their pockets. Expect friction along the way.

Well no, not since they built that new stand. I don't suppose they have much of a hand to play in terms of threatening to up sticks and leave for Sefton/Knowsley.

But they do operate a monopoly in this area in terms of football tourist trade and I'd expect them to be working quietly in the background to discourage development down at the docks. It's a serious threat to a billion pound business and I very much doubt they're happy about it. They have councillors and MPs in their pockets. Expect friction along the way.

Working quietly? Doing what exactly?

The council will look at it as just increasing revenue into the city. The RS wont get less tourists just because we have a new shiny stadium and the council wont get less money from tourism.

That was before Moshiri/ USM. They may have had the upper hand with Kenwright but not any more. Money talks

Working quietly? Doing what exactly?

The council will look at it as just increasing revenue into the city. The RS wont get less tourists just because we have a new shiny stadium and the council wont get less money from tourism.
They're not just politicians though mate. They have their biases and are season ticket holders and traditionally enjoy "good relations" with the club's they support.

You asked me what the motives would be. I primarily gave you the motives of the club, which is obvious to me. No way shape or form will they want a rival to have a state of the art facility and tourist hub down at the docks and cutting into their profits and prestige.

Last edited:
They're not just politicians though mate. They have their biases and are season ticket holders and traditionally enjoy "good relations" with the club's they support.

You asked me what the motives would be. I primarily gave you the motives of the club, which is obvious told me. No way shape or form will they want a rival to have a state of the art facility and tourist hub down at the docks and cutting into their profits and prestige.

I was more worried about the owners of peel being kopites (apparently) but multi billionaires don't become that by letting petty allegiances stop million pound deals going through.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back