New Everton Stadium

There's obviously no realistic way the club will be paying ongoing costs for a 40k and a 60k stadium. If it stays as a stadium it surely won't be kept at anything like the same capacity in which case, is it still the same stadium?

Hate to say it, but Arsenal's solution was actually a decent compromise (forced on them as one stand is listed). Keep the stadium facade, the stands become homes and the pitch becomes gardens (see pic). You still get money from the site which can go towards the new place, but some of the old stadium is kept.

More likely though, it'll be sold to a developer or developed by the club itself and then sold. Sad when historic stadiums go, but probably what'll happen being realistic (e.g. 'Upton Gardens' - https://www.barratthomes.co.uk/new-homes/greater-london/h7095-upton-gardens/)

highbury-square-arsenal-62.jpg

Was a good solution for Arsenal, but completely unworkable in Walton. The average house price in the postocde is about 75k. High levels of deprivation which is only set to get worse with more cuts and the departure of EFC. Nobody on earth is going to build luxury flats in Walton i'm afraid.

Was a good solution for Arsenal, but completely unworkable in Walton. The average house price in the postocde is about 75k. High levels of deprivation which is only set to get worse with more cuts and the departure of EFC. Nobody on earth is going to build luxury flats in Walton i'm afraid.

Sure, was just giving it as an example. Maybe you're not going to get the same kind of development that happened in Islington. But it shows what's possible architecturally, at least, if keeping something of the old stadium is important. Maybe some other creative solution could work, I don't know. Was sort of just thinking out loud...

There's obviously no realistic way the club will be paying ongoing costs for a 40k and a 60k stadium. If it stays as a stadium it surely won't be kept at anything like the same capacity in which case, is it still the same stadium?

Hate to say it, but Arsenal's solution was actually a decent compromise (forced on them as one stand is listed). Keep the stadium facade, the stands become homes and the pitch becomes gardens (see pic). You still get money from the site which can go towards the new place, but some of the old stadium is kept.

More likely though, it'll be sold to a developer or developed by the club itself and then sold. Sad when historic stadiums go, but probably what'll happen being realistic (e.g. 'Upton Gardens' - https://www.barratthomes.co.uk/new-homes/greater-london/h7095-upton-gardens/)

highbury-square-arsenal-62.jpg

The best we can hope for is a housing development with perhaps public green areas to mark the centre circle and or penalty box of the street end. Most likely it will be a supermarket though.

In a perfect world like some have suggested previously it would be good to keep GS and BR as examples of historic Leitch stands and demolish the rest and let the womens team/reserves/EitC etc. play there. Can't see that being the case though, two aging stands that require a lot of maintenance and the club loses out on selling the land.

Sure, was just giving it as an example. Maybe you're not going to get the same kind of development that happened in Islington. But it shows what's possible architecturally, at least, if keeping something of the old stadium is important. Maybe some other creative solution could work, I don't know. Was sort of just thinking out loud...

Yeah I take your point mate, and i'd love for us to be able to do something similar that can keep some of Goodisons presence. But ultimately I just don't think it's possible for us to sustain a vanity project in such a deprived area.

The priority should be to get as much money into the local community as possible. If that's a big Tesco or a shopping centre or something, then we'd just have to swallow our pride. Looking after the area that's looked after us for so long would be the best parting gift, for me.

Yeah I take your point mate, and i'd love for us to be able to do something similar that can keep some of Goodisons presence.

I agree it would be good to keep the presence at Goodison, but like you i can't see it happening. Even if the will was there on all sides it would still be easier to tear it all down and start again. The value in the architecture of the Leitch stands is actually the terraces themselves and not the back of the buildings that would remain. It's quite clear that Highbury's art deco stands with marble hallways were always going to be desirable to be converted.

I just hope whatever is done will be as tasteful as possible.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back