New Everton Stadium

Where the proposals infront of the cabinet last friday? Do we expect anything official to come out of that? announcements or anything.

Cant wait to start seeing things come together

New Everton stadium architect is embracing all things Blue
Dan Meis has made it his job to understand what makes Evertonians tick
ByChris Beesley
Although he’s been designing major sporting arenas for over two decades, Dan Meis is proving to be very much a 2017 stadium architect when it comes to engaging with all things Everton.

Fans who might have feared that the man tasked with dreaming up their new home was far away, both in terms of his California home and relative lack of experience when it comes to European football stadia.

Meis’ single major project of this particularly ilk is the yet-to-be completed Stadio Della Roma, while the bulk of his existing masterpieces are in the US, but the Colorado native who describes himself as a “hater of rules” has a reputation for out-of-the-box innovative thinking.

Meis’ Italian project produced a re-imagining of the Eternal City’s ancient Colosseum by the banks of the River Tiber for his Serie A clients but he acknowledges that it’s horses for courses, remarking: “Roma has much different conditions and concerns...comparing apples and oranges” and you’d expect something rather different than a classic bowl for Goodison Park’s replacement.

Read More
GettyImages-480650429.jpg

A picture shows a model of Roma's new stadium project designed by US architect Dan Meis. (Photo: GABRIEL BOUYS/AFP/Getty Images)
Whether it be attending matches live or on TV wherever he is across the globe, since getting involved with the Blues, Meis has warmed to his task of getting under the skin of the fans’ psyche and made it his job to learn what makes them tick.

Having gone to the last Merseyside Derby at Goodison in December Meis Tweeted a photo of one of the ground’s many pillars that cause obstructed views and remarked: “#nocolumnsinthebowl”

When such as comment was construed by some fans as meaning that Everton’s new home would be a bowl shape, he clarified that ‘bowl’ is just a generic term for seating and that the stadium would not be “a bowl”.

He also offered a timely nod to Goodison’s tight feel by Tweeting: “steep intimate seating directly adjacent to the pitch can be done without columns while pointing out that “columns or not, Goodison is one of the premier experiences in sports!”

Read More
GettyImages-480650399.jpg

A picture shows a model of Roma's new stadium project designed by US architect Dan Meis during a press conference on March 26, 2014 in Rome. (Photo: GABRIEL BOUYS/AFP/Getty Images)
An interesting nugget when it comes to the possibility of Everton’s new home being used for the Commonwealth Games came to a question about the London Olympic Stadium being used for football.

Meis stated that it is “very difficult to convert athletics to intimate, on-the-pitch football seating. Cost to convert was a shame, idea was oversold but he did add that there are: “many factors make a great football stadium, intimacy, sound, steepness, proximity...passionate fans.”

Back in January, when an Evertonian asked Meis whether he was inspired by Goodison, a new location or both he declared: “the atmosphere and history of Goodison are quintessential elements of English Football. They will always inspire.”

There’s often a sense of humour in Meis’ exchanges too and when told in February that he’d gone quiet on subtle hints, he replied: “we are thinking blue seats.”

When other fans were getting itchy feet about a stadium announcement, Meis reiterated: “I have never met a club who cares more about its fans, community, or the competitiveness of the team. It will happen.”

Read More
Meis acknowledges that his design might not be able to please everybody, conceding: “aesthetics can be subjective. One man’s icon is another’s egg slicer. Surely not everyone will love everything...but...”, however, he maintains: “we have been listening...It will be intimate and intimidating and reverent to Goodison’s unparalleled history.”

And after updating his Twitter background to the brick Bramley-Moore dock sign after last week’s announcement, Meis has even taken to talking down Liverpool-supporting doubters of Everton’s project by insisting that one Red: “completely underestimates the value of the club’s history when kitted with a new, competitive ground.”

Surely that alone, especially in derby week, gets him onside with Evertonians.

That's a great post....it was really eye opening and gives me great optimism for what we're going to end up with. I got slaughtered the other week for daring to suggest he was taking the supporters wishes into consideration. He has tried to engage and get a feel for what has made Goodison such a difficult place to play for away teams and the unique atmosphere and feel us lot create when its rocking. This is going to be his signature piece for how a "proper" British football stadium can be if thought goes into it and the elements of what make The Old Lady a one off. (And I don't mean the obstructed views!!) We may not all agree with what he come up with and he has got to allow for the fact we need the stadium to generate money in other ways but I don't think he would sacrifice the design he wants to do to make this a great football ground.

I also hope it is longways along the river... but there's a catch.

Bramley Moore dock is less than 200m across. Many stadiums with the size we are aiming for are about 240m long. Veltins, Etihad etc

Plus you have to be able to walk around to the other side. That's why I was wondering if Nelson Dock was involved.

Or maybe the end stands will be small. Or steep.
Its a good point, but I would think the wide quayside is part of the purchase and the surrounding concourses although technically on Peels land would be shared to allow the fans access to the no doubt new facilities Peel will have planned for their part of the development, resteraunt, theatres, bars etc. I think we appreciate that this stadium will be a part of a much larger development and act as a catalyst for bringing in punters for the other things Peel have planned for the area. Peel must be rubbing their hands at the thought of 60,000 people using this area every two weeks. Although we really needed this land to put our waterfront stadium on I also think it was not lost on Peel what we bring to the party in regard to foot traffic for what they have planed at their end. It's a win win.

surely if the stadium is closed in on all sides, with a retractable roof, the orientation of the stadium to the River and the Sun are not important. As you wont feel the wind from the river and can close the roof, or at least part close it?

surely if the stadium is closed in on all sides, with a retractable roof, the orientation of the stadium to the River and the Sun are not important. As you wont feel the wind from the river and can close the roof, or at least part close it?

There'd have to be a league-wide agreement regarding the roof. I'm sure the orientation and riverside weather will have been at the forefront of design thinking. The Minnesota stadium is interesting in that respect.

I've been following this development on here and on Skyscrapercity for a few months and this retractable roof thing seems to be mentioned every few posts. Unless I've missed something, I haven't seen or heard anything from anyone actually involved with the stadium that it's being considered. Where has this come from?

I've been following this development on here and on Skyscrapercity for a few months and this retractable roof thing seems to be mentioned every few posts. Unless I've missed something, I haven't seen or heard anything from anyone actually involved with the stadium that it's being considered. Where has this come from?

I think its a combination of people saying "Unlike anything in the PL at the moment" and also the fact that on the docks the wind is far higher than in land, and it may have an effect. Also, the money is in having a multi-purpose stadium, so whilst a normal stadium can have concerts etc, a roof would be massively beneficial for everyone.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back