New Everton Stadium

How about we make sure if it's 60k all 60k are actually available and not obstructed?

Also understand both sides of this debate - wanting old design incorporated or a completely new one. Provided it's good and modern I'm not that arsed tbh...

I put retractable roof and retractable pitch, I mentioned the Veltins Arena as well, as one of the top grounds I have visited, along with the Nou Camp and Wembley. I said that obviously wanted Dixie there and a tribute to Howard Kendall. I know we are supposed to see a statue of him at some point this year (along with Harvey and Ball), but he has a stand named after him at Goodison and I think he deserves something similar in the new stadium.

I mentioned that Stoke was one of the worst grounds I have visited for atmosphere, because some of the corners are not filled in and it seems dead and lifeless

I mentioned the Emirates a few times as the antithesis of what I wanted (West Ham's shambles aside).

I put retractable roof and retractable pitch, I mentioned the Veltins Arena as well, as one of the top grounds I have visited, along with the Nou Camp and Wembley. I said that obviously wanted Dixie there and a tribute to Howard Kendall. I know we are supposed to see a statue of him at some point this year (along with Harvey and Ball), but he has a stand named after him at Goodison and I think he deserves something similar in the new stadium.

I mentioned that Stoke was one of the worst grounds I have visited for atmosphere, because some of the corners are not filled in and it seems dead and lifeless

I said Stoke was one of the worst as well but due to the fact it takes hours to get in out if you're in the car.

Out of interest what is the benefit of a retractable pitch? Never really got that.

Out of interest what is the benefit of a retractable pitch? Never really got that.

I guess it would be to protect the grass when staging other events.

Spurs NFL games will be played on an artificial turf. Not sure if the grass rolls out, or the astro turf rolls in over the top.

I said Stoke was one of the worst as well but due to the fact it takes hours to get in out if you're in the car.

Its easier to cut if you stand still with your lawn mower, you start it up stand there and retract the pitch job done and a massive saving in wages

Fantastic idea! If we're losing, we can rage quit!!!! FTW!!!

FLDfceN.gif

I read this earlier, thought it was an interesting read. Hope its ok to post the link, apologies in advance if not

https://www.theguardian.com/public-...s-commercial-risks-trying-hedge-fund-managers
No, its fine to link/post. Its sort of relevant, unfortunately, The Guardian are clueless in their report.

Interesting item. Seems reasonable to suggest that most local governments are in over their heads in managing property, etc., but I'm not sure I agree with the suggestion that if these properties were valuable then private sector parties would have already taken up the cause. Private investors are motivated by profits, either direct or indirect, but local governments can be motivated by indirect benefits (tourism, etc.) that may never directly benefit (at least not in the scale required) a private party.

You can move the pitch out an fill it with different things, so like the Veltins; you can use it for seating for a concert, during the season and not damage the pitch, replace it with an ice skating rink and have hockey played there, or set up a ring and have boxing or WWE, all without damaging the pitch. Also in many large stadiums the pitches suffer as they don't get sunlight to all areas of the pitch, so you can move it outside and put it in the sunshine.

It would pay for itself because it would mean you can have huge events all year round, not just in June and July

I guess it would be to protect the grass when staging other events.

Spurs NFL games will be played on an artificial turf. Not sure if the grass rolls out, or the astro turf rolls in over the top.

The grass pitch is on trays and rolls out over the artificial surface. The artificial surface is the lower one because:
  • For football the first row of seats is level with the pitch, for NFL the first row is a few metres higher than the playing surface. This means unlike when NFL plays at Wembley the first few rows won't need to be tapered off - NWHL stadium can stay at full capacity.
  • For concerts the same thing is true. First few rows won't be blocked out by people standing on the pitch so more tickets can be sold.
  • Makes the stadium truly multi-use. Levy has said the turnaround time could mean a Premier League / NFL double-header in the same afternoon. This seems unlikely even if it is possible, but it does mean NWHL could stage e.g. a match and a concert on the same weekend.
  • Obviously means the grass pitch won't be ruined by other events meaning more events can be held than would otherwise be the case = more money for the club.
Not sure what the extra cost is but to-date the NFL has put £10m into our stadium build which is said to cover some of the cost of this. Long-term it should pay itself back and more besides. Unlike at Veltins Arena in Germany and the Phoenix Stadium in the US, we don't actually have room to store the pitch outside the stadium, so it has to sit under the south stand meaning it has to split into three to avoid the foundations of that stand when it's being stored. This is an unofficial animation of how it'll work:

TQS3mBA.gif

(credit https://twitter.com/ACEinBEDFORD)

Meis has been talking about making BMD a 24/7/365 venue which isn't dead on non-matchdays and a retractable pitch would go a long way to making that possible imo. Obviously the upfront cost will be more but your only limit after that is the number of events the council allows at full capacity. But even then, you don't need it to be at full capacity to have events going on inside the stadium on the artificial surface on non-matchdays.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back