New Everton Stadium

Spotted on Sky Scraper City that there is Stadium design competition for the new Everton stadium. The deadline for submitting designs was June 30th and the public vote starts tomorrow so presumably we should have some amusing renders to look at shortly. In fairness it appears to be taken pretty seriously looking at the project brief.

Dan will know far more about Goodison than you...but he won't know far more about Goodison than me so can you get onto Dan in LA and explain about the half circle thingies...it could just be a one season thing as a piss take and then fill them in...

Got this reply back:

The Everton board would like to thank you for your suggestion. We think it's a wonderful idea and a nod to the past, therefore these 'half circles' will be incorporated into the design of our new stadium. If any other fellow Evertonians have an issue/complaint with this please speak to Bluelad1878 as it wasn't really our idea.

Please see mock up of how these will look:

Screenshot_20170702-080656.webp

:p

Spotted on Sky Scraper City that there is Stadium design competition for the new Everton stadium. The deadline for submitting designs was June 30th and the public vote starts tomorrow so presumably we should have some amusing renders to look at shortly. In fairness it appears to be taken pretty seriously looking at the project brief.

I just read that thread on there. They're clearly taking it seriously as if they're the instructed architect. Got it bookmarked for tomorrow to check out the designs.

I just read that thread on there. They're clearly taking it seriously as if they're the instructed architect. Got it bookmarked for tomorrow to check out the designs.

Yes particularly see how the designs accommodate a temporary track. I fall into the it's not possible to fit a temporary track even on a raised platform without a significant compromise to stand proximity/rake bracket.

The one behind the goals in the 60's and 70's.
Shame on you, young'n.
Weren't the half circles put behind the goals to stop the goalkeepers being pelted by coins?
Bill Brown the then Tottenham goalie targeted by knobs throwing darts.
Big thing in Sunday papers about it especially NOTW starting the trend for portraying Merseyside as a new threat of hooliganism.

Yes particularly see how the designs accommodate a temporary track. I fall into the it's not possible to fit a temporary track even on a raised platform without a significant compromise to stand proximity/rake bracket.

Looks like most on there are using movable seating and steep stands. Looking forward to see how it's done.

Weren't the half circles put behind the goals to stop the goalkeepers being pelted by coins?

And darts.

I'll have to root out the specific book, however off the top of my head I recollect that their introduction was linked with the 1966 World Cup games.
Iirc the two issues were linked. We had a run of dodgy incidents in early 60s including a graphic one of a guy with a dart in his nose and had to accept the half circles as a way to do something serious in order to preserve our status as the main ground apart from Wembley because of the relatively high proportion(or number) of seats compared with most. Relying on memory though, not 100% certain.

Further to my last response, before the permanent walls were built, the area was blocked off by scaffolding and wire mesh.
I remember the ball finding itself on top of the mesh with nobody able to retrieve it. So new ball used with one of the street end lids crawling onto the mesh getting the ball then back into the crowd.

Im
Iirc the two issues were linked. We had a run of dodgy incidents in early 60s including a graphic one of a guy with a dart in his nose and had to accept the half circles as a way to do something serious in order to preserve our status as the main ground apart from Wembley because of the relatively high proportion(or number) of seats compared with most. Relying on memory though, not 100% certain.
I'm certain that pic of the guy with the dart in his nose was an away fan in the Anny Road end at the pit.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back