New Everton Stadium

Hope so. The focus in the interview was getting the seats as close as possible to the pitch. Not only front row but back row.

How a track fits into this I dont know, but Elstone seems to think its similar to hosting a concert.

He never said about getting the back row as close as possible. He said as steep as possible. (Edit: Going by the printed edited version anyway, 2nd edit he did say as close as poss haha!)

Steepness of that seat without meaning making that seat as close as possible means we could be having that seat miles away from the pitch, or very tight legroom, it means you cannot make that stadium bigger, it means no standing, and no standing drastically cuts the atmosphere. It means they've missed the point on what people are trying to ask for.

If people misjudge what they ask the club for they will be in for a shock when they actually settle into the new stadium.

Last edited:
I wonder how long it will be before we actually to get to see some initial design sketches.

Weren't we hoping to submit a planning application early 2018? If so, that is a mountain of work to get through in the forthcoming months - I can see why Dan Meis is here more frequently.

Very exciting times.

He never said about getting the back row as close as possible. He said as steep as possible. (Edit: Going by the printed edited version anyway, 2nd edit he did say as close as poss haha!)

Steepness of that seat without meaning making that seat as close as possible means we could be having that seat miles away from the pitch, or very tight legroom, it means you cannot make that stadium bigger, it means no standing, and no standing drastically cuts the atmosphere. It means they've missed the point on what people are trying to ask for.

If people misjudge what they ask the club for they will be in for a shock when they actually settle into the new stadium.

I'd like to know how you get a seat on the back row of a 60,000 seater stadium 'close to the pitch' anyway though. I don't think they have missed what people have asked for at all. Just seems to me like certain fans are expecting every last detail to be absolutely perfect and just how they want it.

Elstone and EFC have said all along they want a Stadium which has steep stands that are close to the pitch. And that is what we will get.

I don't think I've ever said the words "I'm off to Goodison Park" in my entire life. I love Goodison with all my heart

But I'm either off to the match or I'm going the game
Funny I just said exactly the same thing to my mrs.

I even usually say a game is at home, or at 'our place'. Actually feels a bit weird calling it goodison.

I'd like to know how you get a seat on the back row of a 60,000 seater stadium 'close to the pitch' anyway though. I don't think they have missed what people have asked for at all. Just seems to me like certain fans are expecting every last detail to be absolutely perfect and just how they want it.

Elstone and EFC have said all along they want a Stadium which has steep stands that are close to the pitch. And that is what we will get.

The edited version I read didn't say having the last seat as close as poss, it just said as steep as poss. I then read a different edited version and it did say last seat as close as poss.

You get the last seat as close as poss by overlapping tiers. Each tier has to be steeper than the tier underneath, so start off shallow as poss. Crap example would be tier one, 14 degrees, tier two 26 degrees, tier three 34 degrees. The closer the tier is to the pitch the steeper it must be. 34 degrees is the max, so if you hit that max, you can't expand. There's far more to it, but it gives a very basic idea.

Frankly I'm deeply uncomfortable with Elstone playing any part in this stadium. He's a risk averse accountant who has never understood EFC. His comments about his changing thoughts on capacity over the last 2 or 3 years betrays him there.

He doesn't get us, never has, never will. Just have to trust Meis.

So just the one home end then. I don't buy into this only having one good end to make it identifiable. Second half of a huge match and we'll be attacking the crap end rather than another boss home end.

There is a footprint issue so their hand may forced.

Frankly I'm deeply uncomfortable with Elstone playing any part in this stadium. He's a risk averse accountant who has never understood EFC. His comments about his changing thoughts on capacity over the last 2 or 3 years betrays him there.

Going by exchanges with him on Kirkby, he has improved a fair bit to his credit.

I wonder how long it will be before we actually to get to see some initial design sketches.

Weren't we hoping to submit a planning application early 2018? If so, that is a mountain of work to get through in the forthcoming months - I can see why Dan Meis is here more frequently.

Very exciting times.

Planning application is due around December. Would expect possibly seeing some official images a few weeks prior to that maybe.

People will rightly have worries with the involvement of Elstone due to his past errors, but his influence in this build can not be underestimated. He's been a big part of what will be delivered, and involved from day one.

Going by exchanges with him on Kirkby, he has improved a fair bit to his credit.

Only one way up from DK! :cool:

People will rightly have worries with the involvement of Elstone due to his past errors, but his influence in this build can not be underestimated. He's been a big part of what will be delivered, and involved from day one.

Fingers crossed then.

If we are putting in for the common wealth games bid, wouldn't we have to produce and provide renders of our proposals ie: stadium and infastructure to deciding comittee?

This seems to be moving along. Dan visiting more and some of the comments from Elstone around we need to be in the new ground asap to allow us to really increase revenue streams.

There does also seem to be a lot of road works going on around the area to alleviate traffic.

If we are putting in for the common wealth games bid, wouldn't we have to produce and provide renders of our proposals ie: stadium and infastructure to deciding comittee?

You'd have thought so. Someone said end of September was the deadline for that.

Maybe the whole CWG thing is pie in the sky.

The bidding committee asked Liverpool to provide "bulletproof assurances" about installing the running track in the tight timescale.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back